Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #561
Kitarraman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
No I meant activate Reaper actions, so you can trigger custom actions, SWS cycle actions, or custom scripts via the bank GUI or perhaps even when an articulation is activated (though that's much, much trickier!)

What you showed there can almost certainly be done today. Within Kontakt, you can generally assign any MIDI event to those controls by right clicking and selecting Learn. Once you have some MIDI event bound to it, you can emit it from Reaticulate.

(In rare cases, those things aren't automatable either with MIDI learn or host automation. Complain to the library vendors in that case. )
Oh. Well yeah, that could be useful too (I've run out of keys for my shortcut)
Kitarraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #562
_Stevie_

I'm just saving track templates for all my instruments together with Reaticulate (FINALLY). Reached Albion3 and I noticed: there is no switch for UACC? Is it me or is UACC missing in this library?

EDIT: Hah! It's there, but there's no button in the GUI. Now that's like an easter egg, lol.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #563
_Stevie_

Where would you guys put "double tongue" and "tripple tongue" in the UACC list?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #564
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Where would you guys put "double tongue" and "tripple tongue" in the UACC list?
I'd use 75 for double tongue and then something near 127 for triple tongue. UACC doesn't differentiate between double and triple (since, with SF libraries, it's all just multitongue managed by a variation slider).

Ultimately I regret the choice to use UACC as the basis for program numbers and feel like instead I should have used my own system. This is because for the use-case where cross-bank consistency is important, it's really mostly important just for the common articulations. See here for more context on my thinking.

Anyway, when you're trying to assign an articulation that's not clearly matched in UACC, just wing it.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #565
bywaterandblood

Quote:
I have compiled them here:

https://github.com/jtackaberry/reati...ster/userbanks

Eventually we will have a proper website to share, discover, and import banks. In the meantime, you can find them at GitHub where I'll continue to make newly submitted banks available.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed already.
Tack, thanks a million for all your hard work on this and to the people who contributed those banks. I'm trying to find time myself to delve into learning how all this articulation business works let alone even find time to make music. Sometimes you just gotta take a break from some things in order to make room for others right? I wouldn't mind if you disappeared from the forums for a month or two and pounded out as much as you can on this I also wonder if there's anyone that can help you with it? I would offer but I'm fairly clueless and new to all this stuff. When I get all my banks set up I'll gladly share them.

I did notice something strange though. My Reaticulate.reabank file is not in Data/Reaticulate.reabank as specified on your site. It's in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Re aticulate. Is that normal? I assume it will work just the same. (Yep, just checked and the banks are loading). Anyone having trouble finding that file on Windows 10 can find it there.

Thanks again!

Last edited by bywaterandblood; 08-12-2019 at 03:56 PM.
bywaterandblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #566
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bywaterandblood View Post
I wouldn't mind if you disappeared from the forums for a month or two and pounded out as much as you can on this
It's not the forums that's taking my time -- I wish it were so simple! -- rather it's my day job combined with my energy levels (or lack thereof).

Quote:
I also wonder if there's anyone that can help you with it? I would offer but I'm fairly clueless and new to all this stuff.
I've had offers to help with the bank editor as a standalone application, but I had a particular vision that depended on some foundational work in the UI layer to be done first (and it's now done). But at the moment I'm in the process of overhauling the internal design so it would be a bad time for someone to walk into it. Hopefully in a couple months after things restabilize.

For now, the best help I can get is input on design ideas. Especially this one:

https://github.com/jtackaberry/reaticulate/issues/63

Quote:
I did notice something strange though. My Reaticulate-factory.reabank file is not in Scripts/Reaticulate/app/ as specified on your site. It's in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Re aticulate. Is that normal?
Ah, the mistake on the website's docs is the inclusion of app/ in the path. It should just say Scripts/Reaticulate/Reaticulate-factory.reabank. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it.

That path is (from the docs) "Relative to REAPER’s resource directory (which you can find by invoking the REAPER action “Show REAPER Resource path”)" which, on a Windows default install, is equiivalent to "Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER" but the path can change for portable or custom installs so I didn't include that in the docs. Executing the "Show REAPER Resource Path" is enough to get there.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #567
_Stevie_

Quote:
I'd use 75 for double tongue and then something near 127 for triple tongue. UACC doesn't differentiate between double and triple (since, with SF libraries, it's all just multitongue managed by a variation slider).

Ultimately I regret the choice to use UACC as the basis for program numbers and feel like instead I should have used my own system. This is because for the use-case where cross-bank consistency is important, it's really mostly important just for the common articulations. See here for more context on my thinking.

Anyway, when you're trying to assign an articulation that's not clearly matched in UACC, just wing it.
Yeah, I assigned the double tongue to 75 and might name something near 127 to tripple tongue for internal use.

I agree, UACC seemed like a good solution in the first place. But, if you look closer, it's a lazy and vague attempt to reconcile all articulations. It just doesn't cover it all.

I just checked the list on VI-C. I'm all for that one. I actually put a bunch of buttons on my LBX Stripper template, that reflect pretty much that list.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #568
bywaterandblood

Default Complicated

I read the Github issues you posted. Sounds pretty complicated, all that needs to go into this. What you have done and are doing for everyone for free is a real labor of love. I know a lot of people are VERY grateful, me included. If I had my way I'd make this your job.
bywaterandblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #569
tack

Quote:
Sounds pretty complicated, all that needs to go into this. What you have done and are doing for everyone for free is a real labor of love.
It is definitely both those things.

But that's certainly not unique to Reaticulate. You can see a large number of Herculean free (and often open source) projects in this community.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 08-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #570
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
One other question I'm sorry. Is there a way to quickly hide and show the reaticulate tool bar? When I close it and go to reopen it it asks if I want to terminate the instance and start a new one. Is there anything problematic about doing this?
Has this ever been answered? I'm wondering the same.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #571
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
Has this ever been answered? I'm wondering the same.
Nowadays when you close the UI window, the script should cleanly exit on its own. It's also fine to bind the 'Reaticulate_Main' action to a hotkey and use that to close/open it. The first time you close it, it's safe to terminate the instance and click the option to remember the choice. Then you can use that shortcut to toggle Reaticulate's GUI. I do this all the time myself.

This will prevent you from inserting new articulations of course, or invoking any of the other Reaticulate actions, almost of all of which depend on the main script. But otherwise existing articulations in MIDI items will continue to function as expected as the Reaticulate FX on the track will still be active and performing the necessary translations.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #572

That's great and works fine, indeed!

I've seen some user banks have been pushed to the github repo, recently. How are we supposed to install these? The website just mentions to put all user banks into "Data/Reaticulate.reabank" or is there a special directory from where all reabanks are automatically placed into one file?

Related to this, how can I ensure compatibility between my banks (which I would like to share if these turn out to work fine) and the ones from github?

The website mentions
Quote:
User banks must use MSBs from 0 to 63. MSB of 64 and above are reserved for factory banks.
which sounds like reaticulate is using one single reabank file. That seems to limit the use of reaticulate to 128 libraries, doesn't it?
Old 08-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #573
tack

Quote:
I've seen some user banks have been pushed to the github repo, recently. How are we supposed to install these?
The github page containing these banks contains installation instructions:

(Scroll down.)

Quote:
Related to this, how can I ensure compatibility between my banks (which I would like to share if these turn out to work fine) and the ones from github?
This is also discussed at the page above, but it comes down to choosing an MSB/LSB that you're not using elsewhere. This will get easier in the future, as I'm doing away with the notion of MSB/LSB altogether (or at least completely abstracting it from the user, so you don't need to worry about it).

Quote:
The website mentions which sounds like reaticulate is using one single reabank file. That seems to limit the use of reaticulate to 128 libraries, doesn't it?
Each MSB has 128 LSBs. So the limit for the number of user banks is actually 64*128=8192.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #574

Thank you for your help and this wonderful tool.

I don't seem to understand how to use the "clone" parameter. I have a reabank for a violin ensemble patch that is also compatible with the librarie's viola ensemble patch. Can I use this "clone" parameter to have the same patch under the group "Samplemodeling/Ensemble And Solo Strings" with both names "Viola" and "Violin" generated from the same block of text?

Concerning two-note keyswitches, I'm having a problem with these when playing the actual notes on the keyboard. The Samplemodeling trumpet uses KS note 36 normally for a hard attack, but when holding the KS note 48 + note 36, it changes the portamento split to chromatic. It set it up like this:
Code:
//! c=legato i=accented-quarter g=1 o=note-hold:00/note-hold:36
//! c=fx i=legato g=1 o=note-hold:48/note-hold:36
When playing these keyswitches on my midi keyboard, reaticulate always confuses the single note 36 KS with the two-note 48+36 KS. Is this a bug?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #575
Kitarraman

Quote:
The github page containing these banks contains installation instructions:

About that I have a some new bank ready for the github bank collection. For those of you asking how to use all articulations included in NI Symphony Collection (I did Essentials too), here's the bank I made loading three times the same instrument (E.G. Violin I) each time on a separate MIDI Channel until I ran out of articulations available. All of the instrument instances output to SC1. Just remember to create your own multi instrument using the same setup I used in mine, otherwise you'll have to edit some code. I used the same (or similar) color for each type of articulation (red for sustains and trills, green for staccato and blue for fx).
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #576
tack

Quote:
I don't seem to understand how to use the "clone" parameter. I have a reabank for a violin ensemble patch that is also compatible with the librarie's viola ensemble patch. Can I use this "clone" parameter to have the same patch under the group "Samplemodeling/Ensemble And Solo Strings" with both names "Viola" and "Violin" generated from the same block of text?
Yes, that's the main use-case for it. Clone creates a copy of all the articulations in the referenced bank. Here's an example from the factory banks.

Quote:
When playing these keyswitches on my midi keyboard, reaticulate always confuses the single note 36 KS with the two-note 48+36 KS. Is this a bug?
It's not a bug inasmuch as it's working as designed, but the design isn't coping well with this layered keyswitch scenario. It's meant to be a convenience for when the articulation is triggered manually via the underlying keyswitch as opposed to a program change. I think perhaps I'll change the logic to only reflect the manual activation for articulations with one output event. It's more trouble than it's worth to maintain the necessary state to handle the layered scenario.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #577

Quote:
It's more trouble than it's worth to maintain the necessary state to handle the layered scenario.

Thanks for pointing it out.
I can totally see how this'd be a time eater, coding-wise.

This is from the webpage explaining reabank keywords:
Quote:
Clones the articulations in the specified fully qualified bank name (which is groupname/bankname).
I totally got that wrong. I thought this clones the current bank into the bank given in the parameter. Maybe something like "Clones the articulations from the given/specified bank" would make that more clear? To me, at least, but I'm not a native.

EDIT: When I clone a reabank program like this:
Quote:
//! g="Samplemodeling/Solo And Ensemble Strings" n="Violin"
//! clone="Samplemodeling/Solo And Ensemble Strings/Viola"
Bank 1 1 SM Strings - Violin

//! c=string-position i=trill-perf4 g=3 o=note-hold:00/note-hold:48
38 Highest Positions
then the articulation number 38 is the first in the list, even if there are lower numbers than 38 in the cloned reabank. Is this a known issue?

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 09-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #578
tack

Quote:
Maybe something like "Clones the articulations from the given/specified bank" would make that more clear?
Agreed, the original language is definitely ambiguous. I've hopefully made it clearer. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
then the articulation number 38 is the first in the list, even if there are lower numbers than 38 in the cloned reabank. Is this a known issue?
Articulations aren't sorted in order of program number, rather they're in order of appearance in the file. When cloning, cloned articulations will appear after the articulations native to the bank. That's by design. I'm afraid there's no way to change that behavior.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #579

There is a bug when opening the reabank through the "Open in Default App" entry. If the current user name contains a white space, the parsed path will cut off before the white space.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #580
tack

Quote:
There is a bug when opening the reabank through the "Open in Default App" entry. If the current user name contains a white space, the parsed path will cut off before the white space.
What OS are you using?
Old 09-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #581

Windows 10 1903 x64
Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #582
tack

Quote:
Windows 10 1903 x64
Thanks! Will take a look.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:29 AM   #583
G-Sun

Undo is not working?

Could we have a link in settings to eg. https://reaticulate.com ?

Thanks!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #584
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Undo is not working?
Not in the latest release but this will be fixed in the next release (at least for undoing articulation insertions only, not for other actions like assigning banks to tracks). This was a surprising challenge, supporting undo.

Quote:
Could we have a link in settings to eg. https://reaticulate.com ?
Yeah I could add that in. Not a bad idea.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #585
G-Sun

Quote:
Not in the latest release but this will be fixed in the next release (at least for undoing articulation insertions only, not for other actions like assigning banks to tracks). This was a surprising challenge, supporting undo.

Yeah I could add that in. Not a bad idea.
Thank you very much!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #586
G-Sun

I have a special-case where a vocal bass patch is set to baryton. The highest note are sent to ch2 and pitch-shifted.
And, so key-swtiches are not working correct.
Any chance of the ability to setting output of Rearticulate to another channel, so I could patch at all together?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #587
hopi

I am lost again.... can anyone provide a little hand holding so I can get this working plz?

trying to get the Spitfire Chamber Strings Ensemble to work correctly...
these are the midi notes needed for the keyswitches:

Quote:
# MIDI note/CC name map
14 Trill Maj 2nd
13 Trill Mn 2nd
12 Tremolo
11 Col Legno
10 Pizzacato Bartok
9 Pizzicato
8 Short CS
7 Staccato
6 S piccato
5 harmonics
4 flautando
3 sul tasto
2 sul pont
1 con sord
0 long
and here is the section of the reabank file that I imagine is the part I'd need to edit to match that:
Quote:
/! g="Spitfire/Chamber Strings" n="Ensembles"
//! m="Set patch to UACC"
Bank 64 2 SCS - Ensembles

//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1
1 long
//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=cc:32,7
7 con sord
//! c=long-dark i=sul-pont o=cc:32,18
18 sul pont
//! c=long-light i=sul-tasto o=cc:32,17
17 sul tasto
//! c=long-light i=flautando o=cc:32,8
8 flautando
//! c=long-light i=harmonics o=cc:32,10
10 harmonics
//! c=short i=spiccato o=cc:32,42
42 spiccato
//! c=short i=staccato o=cc:32,40
40 staccato
//! c=short-light i=staccato-con-sord o=cc:32,47
47 short con sord
//! c=short-light i=pizz o=cc:32,56
56 pizz
//! c=short-dark i=pizz-bartok o=cc:32,57
57 bartok pizz
//! c=short-light i=col-legno o=cc:32,58
58 col legno
//! c=long-dark i=tremolo o=cc:32,11
11 tremolo
//! c=long i=trill-min2 o=cc:32,70
70 trill m2
//! c=long i=trill-maj2 o=cc:32,71
71 trill M2
OK so seems like would need to do something like this for each of the 14 events:
7 con sord

change to:

//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=cc:32,1
1 con sord

[refer to the list in the first quote above plz]

Is that correct?

thanks for your help
Old 10-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #588
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
trying to get the Spitfire Chamber Strings Ensemble to work correctly...
these are the midi notes needed for the keyswitches
Why is it you don't want to use the factory bank for Chamber Strings Ensemble? Is it because you don't want to have to set the patch to UACC mode first (which uses the CC based keyswitches) but just want it to work out-of-the-box without any need to change the patch (which uses note-based keyswitches)?

Quote:
OK so seems like would need to do something like this for each of the 14 events:
7 con sord

change to:

//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=cc:32,1
1 con sord

[refer to the list in the first quote above plz]

Is that correct?
No, because the output event is still set to sent a CC 32 value, rather than a note. Also there's no need to change the program number (they're arbitrary). What you want is something like this:

Code:
//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=note:1
7 con sord
This keeps the program number for con sord at 7, but changes the output event to send a note instead of a CC.

Hopefully you can see how to do the other articulations now. But the easiest thing to do would just be to set the Chamber Strings patch to "Locked to UACC" and use the factory bank.

(The reason the factory banks send UACC for Spitfire is that this allows you to pull in multiple patches on the same channel and not worry about articulation conflicts. So you can pull in, for example, V1 Decorative and V1 Core on the same MIDI channel, assign both Reaticulate banks to the track, and it Just Works. This will not work with default note-based keyswitches as the patches will conflict.)

Quote:
I have a special-case where a vocal bass patch is set to baryton. The highest note are sent to ch2 and pitch-shifted.
And, so key-swtiches are not working correct.
Any chance of the ability to setting output of Rearticulate to another channel, so I could patch at all together?
I confess I'm not entirely clear how you're configuring your VSTi. But just directly answering your question of "how to have Reaticulate output events to another channel", yes this is possible by setting the channel in the output event.

For example:

Code:
// Activating this articulation causes all subsequent MIDI events
// be routed to channel 2.
//
//! c=long i=note-whole o=@2
1 sustains

// This is like above, except also sends note 13 to channel 2 to
// activate an articulation (an imaginary one that expects keyswitch
// note 13) and then afterwards will route subsequent MIDI events
// to channel 2.
//
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note@2:13
1 sustains
Hope that's clear!

Last edited by tack; 10-03-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #589
hopi

Thank you Tack for taking the time to help me understand this much better...

Now I'll have to play with some more and see what I get...

Last edited by hopi; 10-05-2019 at 08:41 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #590
hopi

Tack.. one more question plz....

I am starting to wonder if somehow I have messed up .reabank files
I read there are two of them... the factory and the other one...
In my case they seem to be exactly the same file, but with different file names of course and in two different locations.
If a user has not edited them should they be exactly the same as to their contents?
and then... one says don't edit this file.... edit the other one... OK...
So IF the other one is edited, IS that the one should should show up in the Reaticluate GUI?
I am just confused as to why there are two such files...
[I have read the doc's but I'm still not clear on this point]
Old 10-06-2019, 03:56 AM   #591
cemark

Maybe I am just dense :-)

I have read through many of the posts here, and looked through the demo video. However, I still have only a vague idea of what this tool is actually about.

I just don't get it.

What is it? What problems does it solve?

Please, help me understand. I hate it when something just flies over my old dumb head.
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #592
tack

Quote:
I read there are two of them... the factory and the other one...
In my case they seem to be exactly the same file, but with different file names of course and in two different locations.
Hm I'm not sure how that happened. The user bank file (the one that opens when you click the pencil icon in Reaticulate's toolbar) shouldn't contain anything from the factory banks (unless you as the user have explicitly pasted stuff in there). By default, the user bank is empty except for a comment at the top of the file explaining what it is, and the intention is for users to add their own content to it. You can feel free to remove anything you didn't add yourself from that file (the one without the word "Factory" in the name).

Quote:
So IF the other one is edited, IS that the one should should show up in the Reaticluate GUI?
I am just confused as to why there are two such files...
[I have read the doc's but I'm still not clear on this point]
The two files are:
1. A "factory" reabank file that's distributed with Reaticulate that contains various banks for various libraries. You're not supposed to edit that file as it's bundled with Reaticulate and will be replaced when you upgrade.
2. A "user" reabank file that holds your own banks for your own libraries. You edit this one and it doesn't get touched on upgrades.

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by tack; 10-06-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #593
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
I just don't get it. What is it? What problems does it solve?
I daresay it's one of those things that if you don't understand what it's for, you almost certainly don't have the problem it tries to solve.

Reaticulate provides an analogous solution to Cubase's Expression Maps or Logic's Articulation Sets. Many virtual instruments provide different modes or articulations that are changed by some MIDI event, often a keyswitch note. For example, consider a string library and you want to change from a sustained legato playing style to staccato. Often this is done by means of sending a particular keyswitch note.

Tracking these MIDI events in your MIDI items is cumbersome, especially when changing articulations requires multiple such events (e.g. sustain legato con-sordino requires 3 separate keyswitches for Cinematic Studio Strings). This gets even more convoluted when articulations aren't changed by notes but rather by some CC.

Reaticulate provides a more convenient way of doing this than meddling directly with the MIDI events in the piano roll.

Last edited by tack; 10-06-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #594
cemark

Thank you! And how convenient that your user name "tack" means "Thanks" in my native tounge Swedish.

Cool

Quote:
I daresay it's one of those things that if you don't understand what it's for, you almost certainly don't have the problem it tries to solve.

Reaticulate provides an analogous solution to Cubase's Expression Maps or Logic's Articulation Sets. Many virtual instruments provide different modes or articulations that are changed by some MIDI event, often a keyswitch note. For example, consider a string library and you want to change from a sustained legato playing style to staccato. Often this is done by means of sending a particular keyswitch note.

Tracking these MIDI events in your MIDI items is cumbersome, especially when changing articulations requires multiple such events (e.g. normale legato con-sordino requires 3 separate keyswitches for Cinematic Studio Strings). This gets even more convoluted when articulations aren't changed by notes but rather by some CC.

Reaticulate provides a more convenient way of doing this than meddling directly with the MIDI events in the piano roll.
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #595
hopi

thanks Tack.... it's becoming more clear

so let's say the factory reabank has entries for a given lib... again lets say for the 'ensembles' lib.... and I don't edit it
AND the other one also contains entries for that same lib but they are edited and therefore different...
[maybe let's say they have been edited to insert a note instead of a cc event as you pointed out]

so IF I want to use the edited version then I have to just choose it from the USERS area.... is that how it works?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #596
tack

Quote:
so IF I want to use the edited version then I have to just choose it from the USERS area.... is that how it works?
Exactly, yep. If you want to modify a factory bank, copy/paste it into your user area and make the changes you want, and as you point out, in the UI, select it from the User submenu instead of Factory.

(You don't need to change the bank's MSB/LSB when you copy it into the user file. It will override the factory one as far as Reaper is concerned.)

I appreciate this factory vs user business is a little confusing and I have plans to do away with it. For now, we'll live with it.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #597
hopi

thanks again Tack.... now it is all clear to me and yes, I 'get it'....so I can carry on OK....

doing away with the 'two files' thing would be good IMHO.... less confusion

but for now, sure... all's good!
Old 10-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #598
hopi

Quote:
No, because the output event is still set to sent a CC 32 value, rather than a note. Also there's no need to change the program number (they're arbitrary). What you want is something like this:

Code:
//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=note:1 7 con sord
This keeps the program number for con sord at 7, but changes the output event to send a note instead of a CC.
Tack the quote above is from a previous post you gave me about how to write the .reabank user file to put in a note instead of a CC event.

So I am trying that like this:
Quote:
//! g="Spitfire/Chamber Strings" n="Ensembles"
//! m="Set patch to UACC"
Bank 64 2 SCS - Ensembles

//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:0
1 long
//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=note:1
7 con sord
etc, etc...for all the notes
then I select that in the USER file for Ensemble...

but the lua still puts in a CC event and not a note...

I am officially for shit as a code guy... too dumb to do much but type

What have I done wrong???

Sorry to be a pain... but I'd like to get this straight

PS... another big ? once there is an event in the CC lane for bank\program select and if you want to move or delete that event... how is that accomplished???
[the only way I find to remove them is in the list view.... but I'd expect to be able to just select them in the piano roll view and hit delete but that does nothing... geeeez

Last edited by hopi; 10-06-2019 at 08:16 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #599
tack

Sorry I missed your post, hopi. Please PM me if I don't reply within a couple days.

Quote:
then I select that in the USER file for Ensemble... but the lua still puts in a CC event and not a note...
After you change the reabank file in the text editor you need to click the Reload icon in Reaticulate's toolbar to cause it to pick up the changes.

If that's not the actual problem I don't have enough information to go on. You could try sharing a video of the problem -- that's usually the best way to see what's happening.

Quote:
PS... another big ? once there is an event in the CC lane for bank\program select and if you want to move or delete that event... how is that accomplished???
Yes, well this is just where Reaper itself sucks and I can't do much to fix it. (Wouldn't it be nice if end users could fix all these MIDI editor irritations!)

The way I do it is by clicking on the bottom half of the of the widget arrow looking thing to drag it. (I'm afriad I don't know its official name. ) You have to be quite precise in clicking within the boundary of the rectangle. This quite often takes me a couple attempts to actually grab it. (There is more tolerance toward the right edge of the widget than the left.) Oh, and don't accidentally drag up/down lest you change the program number. Take care to drag left/right.

Reaper appears to be quite carefully engineered to maximize the pain and frustration of managing these events from the piano roll.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #600
Kitarraman

Quote:
You have to be quite precise in clicking within the boundary of the rectangle. This quite often takes me a couple attempts to actually grab it.
Grabbing or erasing is those MIDI Arrows is annoying. I feel like adding that whenever I have snapping disabled, it's easier to move the arrow or delete it with alt+lmb