Old 10-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #81
RobU
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
ReaPack still is greatly underestimated as well by the add-on developers as by the end users and seemingly even by Cockos themselves

-Michael
It should be bundled with Reaper, but that doesn't seem likely if SWS is anything to go by.

Linked under 'Resources' at https://www.reaper.fm/ would be a great show of support though.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #82
Tod

Quote:
If the add-on developers all would do decent descriptions in ReaPack aware ("MarkDoown") notation, the situation would be a lot better !!!!
-Michael
Maybe, but I'd like to hear from them about that. The native language for many of them is not English, I can only imagine how hard it must be for them. They could probably use some help, I would be glad to help if I can, but I'm not good at writing manuals either, although I have put a few together. With all the scripts that are available, it would have to be a collective effort.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #83
Sound22Card

I'd include a spectral erasure like Audition has. This would put the nail in their coffin and keep Reaper on top.
Sound22Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #84
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The native language for many of them is not English, I can only imagine how hard it must be for them.
My native language is not English, either. Nonetheless I would not dare to publish any software without a (would be) decent documentations/description, as it's rather obvious that close to nobody would ever benefit from my (would be) great product.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-29-2017 at 01:07 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #85
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound22Card View Post
I'd include a spectral erasure like Audition has. This would put the nail in their coffin and keep Reaper on top.
Does Reaper's spectral edit not fit the bill ?

-Michael
Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #86
mpl

Quote:
ReaPack still is greatly underestimated as well by the add-on developers as by the end users and seemingly even by Cockos themselves
I still hope both Justin and schwa keep on eye developement of some ReaPack stuff, but they almost don`t mention that anywhere unfortunately. There isn`t even ReaPack link on main page (I didn`t even start talking about SWS/ReaPack optional checks when installing REAPER). It is sad that a lot of people do so much work with implementing what REAPER suppose to do natively (sometimes very basic things really) without any visual respect at level like this:

mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:43 AM   #87
mpl

About long time discussing scripts descriptions. It is really good to know what code exactly does, but novadays sometimes writing a description takes more time then writing a code and it doesn`t ever needed, because of different reasons. And who read this? Today people can always ask developer directly if script name doesn`t enough to understand what the script does or interface is not so intuitive. There aren`t hard-to-find-on-web "magic coders", programmers now a lot more communicative then they were 10 years ago.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #88
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
it will do everything a good limiter should...
OK, you're obviously right. I won’t nag about it any further. I’m using Voxengo Elephant for limiting anyway, so ... That's also a "good" limiter.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:01 AM   #89
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
what REAPER suppose to do natively (sometimes very basic things really)
Who decides what is "supposed to be done natively" ?
To me it's a really good thing that the program is not bloated with stuff some might need and others might not, but that it provides interfaces to add such things as add-ons, so that the users can chose a version of a functionality that suites best to his/her workflow, and - if necessary - can do it himself by scripting and - hopefully - provide it to the Reaper universe.

Quote:
...without any visual respect at level like this:
Agreed !

Maybe this can be automated by Reapack and maybe managed by a group of people maintaining a "recommended Reaper plugins" repository.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-29-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:29 AM   #90
Eddy

For simple function sometimes embedding the help/instructions is best in the interface itself. Otherwise I agree that some sort of explanation is needed - language is not important as translations are possible.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:32 AM   #91
Eddy

Quote:
Who decides what is "supposed to be done natively".
To me it's a really good thing that the project is not bloated with stuff some might need and others might not, but that it provides interfaces to add such things as add-ons, so that the users can chose a version of a functionality that suites best to his/her workflow, and - if necessary - can do it himself by scripting and - hopefully - provide it to the Reaper universe.

-Michael
I am sure I have seen something about the developers having little to no interest in the user experience / interaction design. If this is the case it would be much better for them to be completely bare bones but allow as much of the functionality to be open to reconstruction at least as far as the interface is concerned.

Each to their own
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:42 AM   #92
Vendetta V

BETTER MACOS SUPPORTT!!!
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 AM   #93
StuhRAH

Volume envelope range.
StuhRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #94
mschnell

Quote:
And who read this?
I would not even d/l and try a piece of software before I have a rather good knowledge about what it is supposed to do. Otherwise the time spent on testing in most cases is in vain.

-Michael
Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 AM   #95
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
BETTER MACOS SUPPORTT!!!
There are lot's of things "Macro" can mean....
-Michael
Old 10-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #96
ivansc

MAC OS, not Macros.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #97
deeb

definitely range selection ! it's the biggest hassle to workaround (and so tend to avoid using and so my music expression is more limited).
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #98
somebodyelseuk

I barely scratch the surface of what Reaper is capable of now.

All I ask for is it stays reasonably priced, doesn't waste CPU power on eyecandy and I'll be happy.
I'll take stable, functional and efficient over 'looks cool' every day of the week.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #99
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The Feature Request to end all other Feature Requests!

Make some modules of REAPER open-source -- particularly the MIDI editor and any other modules that don't contain unique intellectual property.

Then the community can quickly fix all the lingering bugs and implement some of the easier FRs.

Justin and Schwa can focus their time and skills on developing amazing new features that require expert programming.
Please this.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #100
SubbaseDnB

one of my wishes is a "dedicated mastering view,sort of like the project page in S1

user mrmjp has some good thoughts about what that could need

in my post here

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....97#post1904197
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #101
Tod

Quote:
but novadays sometimes writing a description takes more time then writing a code and it doesn`t ever needed, because of different reasons.
Quote:
I would not even d/l and try a piece of software before I have a rather good knowledge about what it is supposed to do. Otherwise the time spent on testing in most cases is in vain.
I agree with you Michael, to a degree, the more info about how something works, the better. But as mpl suggests, it can take time to put meaningful information together.

I'm not sure how much time the scripters, like mpl, take to put these scripts together, but for myself, I write scripts for Kontakt, and they can take a lot of time. I recently put one together for a fellow so that the hi-hat on his e-drums worked properly, it only had 65 lines of code, but it still took a good 3 days to put it together. Of course I didn't have to explain in detail how that script worked, but most of the instruments I write scripts for, require manuals that can be several pages long, and heh heh, that's not one of my favorite things to do.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #102
G-Sun

A script without proper description and documentation
equals
a script that is non-existent for most users.

This is also the case for native features and actions.

Cockos has been run by good coders,
but has often been weak on GUI, intuitive workflow, presets, templates and newbie-friendliness.
Luckily now we have WT on GUI and Kenny, Jon and others on documentation and user-guidance/tips.
Not to forget all users on Reaper-forum making this one of the most helpful communities I know of on the web.

So, script and documentation: Yes we love good scripts, and yes, we love good documentation and user-friendly access/implementation
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #103
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post

So, script and documentation: Yes we love good scripts, and yes, we love good documentation and user-friendly access/implementation
Chiming in with my +1 on this one!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #104
DeathByGuitar

I'd love to see visualizer support come back. It would be an absolute dream to be able to manually control Milkdrop manually from within Reaper like you could do in Winamp.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #105
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post

All I ask for is it stays reasonably priced, doesn't waste CPU power on eyecandy and I'll be happy.
I'll take stable, functional and efficient over 'looks cool' every day of the week.
Well said.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #106
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
OK, you're obviously right. I won’t nag about it any further. I’m using Voxengo Elephant for limiting anyway, so ... That's also a "good" limiter.
TBH, I'm not even arguing with you. I just want to keep bringing it up.

It's more important, and more frustrating to me, than anything having to do with scripts. ReaComp could be a great chameleon of a dynamic processor - from hard clipping to soft saturation to "maximized" to mastering limiter to all the normal compression stuff all the way to an auto-leveler. But we can't trust it because the knee folds over...

It has simple but powerful controls, sounds good in general, and is very efficient, and would replace several JS things that use a lot more CPU. But I can't trust it because the knee folds over...

As long as they fix that, you can have your limiter too!

Otherwise i pretty much agree with somebodyelseuk. Some trippy visualizations could be fun, too, though.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #107
albatteur

Tonal balance (like ozone8. Expensive for me) for each tracks and 2buss for premaster or mastering. Track's élements like reaplugs could talk to the mix bus and could be ajusted in a tonal balance plugin on the mixbuss.
I know it's crazy.
Sorry for my bad english.
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #108
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
MAC OS, not Macros.
Shouting with capitals really is not helpful for beeing understood
-Michael
Old 10-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #109
Alex_HS

ARA and EuCon support in the first instance.
Alex_HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #110
artisticspider

I think one of the only things that I absolutely cringe about in Reaper right now is working with MIDI CC in the piano roll. Those vertical bars are good for velocity or on/off, but to draw out mod wheel/expression is kind of painful for me. I'd like to see envelope editing with points with optional curves. Maybe even just a button to swap between using bars or point-to-point envelope drawing on each MIDI CC lane.
artisticspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #111
Win Conway

Multi sampler that loads unencrytped kontakt banks so i can finally get rid of everything from NI.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #112
Arthur McArthur

API for Media Explorer (for me the brilliant and unique thing about REAPER is the scripting and the community. More APIs would help continue the exponential growth in useful scripts)

Allow us to change what actions happen when dragging and dropping: i.e. would be useful to be able to drag a sample from media explorer onto a track and have that sample loaded onto a new RS5K instance automatically with the track name changed to match it.

RS5K improvements: ADSHR with curves, round robin, legato

Pitch envelope (stretch markers are for me unusably inaccurate for this purpose)

Native groove tool

Native step sequencer

Consistent zoom behavior when opening MIDI items`

Raspberry cheesecake
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #113
Flaneurette

Couple of my own humble suggestions I would love to see. Nothing ground breaking, but it would make the experience more fun:

- Design: The option to "fix" columns, so they cannot be resized. It can give a layout a more robust look and feel.
- Design: Option for magnetic borders similar to Winamp. So that columns may snap into a certain position given in WALTER code.

- Needle: Smoother and faster update/response of the needle. It currently has this tendency to flicker.

- FX: The option to style the FX window, or take on the style of the main window.
- FX: Drawing the FX window into view a bit smoother. If often flickers or hangs.
- FX: Fixing the sticky "pin" that keeps returning in random places.

- Media Browser: Some functions are only possible with the default win32 explorer, so I have to switch from the theme to the default explorer if I want to do certain things.
- Media browser: ability to drag 'n drop MIDI items (Ctrl+Alt+Drag) in a folder I want to drop it in.

- ReaScript: The ability of Reaper to scan more python dll locations.

Clarification: For Win, it's usually (at least) only found in two locations. C\PythonXX\pythonXX.dll or C:\Windows\system32\pythonXX.dll It saves a lot of time giving support to plugins and the main cause why people seem to bail on Python. I would suggest scanning backwards: Python34, Python33, Python32, etc. should only take a few iterations.

My apologies if they're already being discussed.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #114
jerome_oneil

A little more intuitive routing matrix, and some gloss on dialog boxes and other windows would be nice.

But otherwise, I got no complaints.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #115
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Multi sampler that loads unencrytped kontakt banks so i can finally get rid of everything from NI.
That really is a pipe deram, as the Kontakt sampler is a very complex (and versatile) beast that nobody will be able to reverse-engineer rend re-create. (You might want to take a look at their scripting documentation.)
Moreover I don't think that bundling sophisticated (meaning providing not just technically straight forward functionality) plugins is something a product like Reaper should do. This would ask for increasing the cost by doing a job 3rd parties could offer at least as well.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-30-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #116
grinder

I put this in a post a couple of days ago I still think this would be a great idea.

Grinder

" Hi Team just a thought!
Okay we all render then sometimes get our rendered file back to see where the high spots are etc etc. I was wondering if the rendering window could be made to telescope the height and the length? Even just the length would be okay.
A time ruler would be placed at the lower part of the track volume window
then we would have a view of and write down the points of interest re volume
problems on the wave file.
This would save a lot of mucking around unless there is another way already to get this info?
What do you think?

Grinder"
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #117
bucca

Quote:
+1

pretty much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXoHXHCqih0
Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 AM   #118
uksnowy

Default Input Monitoring without Record Arm

Input Monitoring without the need to record arm.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #119
emarsk

• Better plugin organising capabilities:
    • drag&drop folders for reordering them
    • nested folders
    • plugin infos available for automatic ordering / filtering
  • Sample level editing
  • Blackmagic video support
  • Tags reading / filtering / editing in the media explorer (for wav files too, not just mp3s; this is needed for working with sound effects libraries for sound design / audio for video)
  • Loudness metering
  • Flexible routing for plugins / fader / pan / meter / sends / receives (like in Tracktion)
    • Being able to mix / reorder them (like in Ardour) is a nice enough subset of the former
  • Better reverb engine (maybe a couple? choice is good!)
  • A decent bank of presets for ReaSynth
  • A more advanced ReaSynth
  • Native Linux support
  • JACK support
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 AM   #120
Softsynth

Quote:

Strongly agree. I doubt you've got anything to fear on that front though.

I like the idea of being able to extend colours and themes in all areas.
Also I wish the fonts (as an option) could be changed so that the Windows version could look as good as the Mac.

Small niggles really.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote