Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 4.5 Update Explained!!!

In light of the great new Reaper 4.5 release, I'm going to consider making tutorials to match.

Not positive of how to approach this yet so I'm hoping to get some of your feedback.

Here is the first video on the Performance Meter:

Click Here to Watch!!

Here is another video on the new Project Tabs Option:

Click Here to Watch

And another for Auto Save in 4.3 and 4.5.

Click Here to Watch

Set Grid to Frame (instead of beats)

Click Here to Watch

Here is the first "Stretch Markers" video.

Click Here to Watch.

Here is the second "Stretch Markers - Drums" video.

Click Here to Watch.

Thanks

Yeah. I know. It's not that special but it covers one of the new features. Although it's a small one.

My plan is to make a bunch of these short videos that explains each new feature, one by one, at least briefly.

So please tell me what specifically you'll like me to cover and I'll try to do the most requested stuff first.

Obviously, this is a Midi heavy update so we'll be focusing there mostly.

This won't replace "Reaper 4 Explained" as that one has very little midi and I'm not going to re-cover anything from that tutorial.

For now, these videos will be free for the community. It may become a real product or it may just be for us. We'll see.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 09-09-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: dl.reaper.fm links
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
setvice

Love all your stuff kenny, I have a Groove 3 sub and yours are my favs. Id love a video explaining the stretchg markers. Im finding them a little confusing and would love to know a simple way of using them.
setvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvice View Post
Love all your stuff kenny, I have a Groove 3 sub and yours are my favs. Id love a video explaining the stretchg markers. Im finding them a little confusing and would love to know a simple way of using them.
I'm sorry. Stretch markers were introduced in Reaper 4.4. So we can't do them.

Just kidding. We'll go back and grab a few goodies from earlier versions as well.

I was making a video for the new "Auto-Save feature today and started explaining the "Multiple Version" save option until I realized that it was actually added in 4.3. I had no idea.

Reaper is awesome but it's really hard to keep up on the changes and when they occurred.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I'm sorry. Stretch markers were introduced in Reaper 4.4. So we can't do them.

Just kidding. We'll go back and grab a few goodies from earlier versions as well.

I was making a video for the new "Auto-Save feature today and started explaining the "Multiple Version" save option until I realized that it was actually added in 4.3. I had no idea.

Reaper is awesome but it's really hard to keep up on the changes and when they occurred.

Thanks

Stretch markers were in the original 4.5 release, but were released early in 4.4 (partial release) so as not to make users wait until the end of the 4.5 development cycle.

So there!

>
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
ramses

Big thanks for doing this. Would love some in-depth midi stuff as well. And some run through of the stretch markers and how they function across grouped tracks and stuff.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
tut

Pretty much everything I know about Midi in Reaper is what I learned in Reaper4 Explained, so any and everything that you could cover beyond that would be terrific for me. I watch it every couple months all the way through because sometimes I don't remember so good. Just wanted to say thanks for what you do Kenny. One attaboy comin' your way.
tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
SpecialRich

Multi midi would be appreciated.

Thanks.
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
BobM

Good info, thanks.

BobM.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
johnnynash

Thanks Kenny! I have your other Reaper videos, so this is a great addition!!
johnnynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
marsmellow

some topics which would be very helpful:

- freezing for Pro's (an in depth look into all (midi)freezing options when using multi-channel/ multi-out vsti's, including some helpful tips & tricks
- how to prepare your midi tracks for conversion to audio(with mixing in mind), but still stay flexible (an easy way back to do quick edits in midi, if needed and convert again)
- how to make your own Groove templates with SWS extensions, and how to keep them organized (for re-use)
- workaround for audio to midi conversion (including clean up of your midi data)
- the best shortcuts to perform daily power midi editing (quick access to the most used midi tools right under your fingertips)
- how to get play/record vsti's 'live' without notable latency (how to solve clicks and pops)
- tips and tricks when using heavy vsti's like Diva and how to get the best out of it
- the power of midi automation including tips and tricks
- the last topic could show a heavy loaded project full with vst instruments/synths/samplers (almost maximizing today's multicore processors) and how to keep the performance best and tracks organized

Last edited by marsmellow; 08-31-2013 at 04:46 AM.
marsmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
royarn

Thanks Kenny, useful stuff as always I learn something from your video's.

Roy
royarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
David Else

THANKS! This is brilliant, would love to see something on the MIDI updates
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Andy_bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by royarn View Post

Roy
+1
Looking forward to a series!
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
The-Zeronaut

Thanks a lot for the new video!! >.<

Mostly interested on Stretch markers

something like your awesome Elastic audio in action but for reaper
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Swamp Ape

Awesome Kenny, thanks.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
airon

Thanks. Learned some stuff I hadn't known before. Always a treat.

Since Midi isn't my thing, I'll hold off on suggestions for another day.

But if these videos stay free for the community and you need a little editing and mixing work done on them (on the incredible offchance), you got it.

Last edited by airon; 08-31-2013 at 11:49 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
buckman

Kenny, great video!!

Slightly off topic, but please can you send on your R4.5 theme?

I know it maybe mostly the same as the standard default theme, but I have been trying to do the coloured items/tracks for ages with no avail. Are they part of your theme?

I am using the default R4 theme, but my items are just grey/black and i can't get them to default to different colours when added or recorded?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Kenny, great video!!

Slightly off topic, but please can you send on your R4.5 theme?

I know it maybe mostly the same as the standard default theme, but I have been trying to do the coloured items/tracks for ages with no avail. Are they part of your theme?

I am using the default R4 theme, but my items are just grey/black and i can't get them to default to different colours when added or recorded?
That's not off topic.

Here's the theme.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1206/No...nus_4.0_v2.rar

I've colored tracks differently depending on each tutorial I make.

This video just has colors on the track names.

Is that what you want or do you want the track itself to change color?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
Tod

Hi Kenny, it's great what your doing and your videos are awesome. Covering the Midi Editor and all the new things it can do is great.

However, another lesser known aspect is all the changes in the Preferences that go along with all this and the significance they play.

My 2 cents.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
RBowlin

Like many others Kenny, I find your tutorials invaluable. I've got them all on my ipad and just lay in bed at night and watch away while the wife reads a book.
I am continually amazed at what Reaper can do and find myself coming back time and again as I stray from DAW to DAW.

So yeah, man. Make the new 4.5 tutorials! Time to learn some new stuff.

-Rich
RBowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
The Telenator
Banned

I plan to view the 4.5 video soon, since it just downloaded it. I would have rather preferred to view it online without needing to 'bring it home' to watch.

I clicked on the other links for v4, SWS and so on. I'm sure they are fantastic and much effort and hard work has gone into them, but just like I refuse to pay for a spiral-bound hard copy of the Reaper Guide, as a policy I refuse to pay for tutorials. This is merely my own logic -- it's the company's job to get across to customers what their stuff does and why I should use it, not mine to hunt down explanations and pay for it as well. Best wishes for continued success of this project nonetheless. And thanks for the offer. I'll stick with the old-fashioned way of learning -- read the literature and try it first-hand. I learn it far better if I do it that way. Tutorials tend to put me to sleep.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
rog951

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I plan to view the 4.5 video soon, since it just downloaded it. I would have rather preferred to view it online without needing to 'bring it home' to watch.

I clicked on the other links for v4, SWS and so on. I'm sure they are fantastic and much effort and hard work has gone into them, but just like I refuse to pay for a spiral-bound hard copy of the Reaper Guide, as a policy I refuse to pay for tutorials. This is merely my own logic -- it's the company's job to get across to customers what their stuff does and why I should use it, not mine to hunt down explanations and pay for it as well. Best wishes for continued success of this project nonetheless. And thanks for the offer. I'll stick with the old-fashioned way of learning -- read the literature and try it first-hand. I learn it far better if I do it that way. Tutorials tend to put me to sleep.
FWIW, I used to feel exactly the same way. I was having trouble absorbing the Reaper pdf manual and stumbled onto one of Kenny's videos on sale for $10. I thought to myself that for that small price, I could compromise my value system. Long story short, it helped me so much I ended up going back and paying full price for the rest of them.

It's one thing to stand on principle, but it turned out I was doing it at my own detriment. I'm a visual learner and reading manuals puts me to sleep. A well-produced tutorial makes a big difference for me. YMMV, of course.
rog951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
mabian

Quote:

Put simply, IMHO, here you can see the tutorials and other stuff as a * not mandatory * supplementary price... you pay much more for other products and even there there aren't great tutorials bundled. here you can choose between a bare product that costs less for real and, just if you wish, you have resources left to invest in to such things and plugins and so on...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #24
DarkStar

Quote:

I see it very differently. JCS are best at Reaper development, Nicholas - the User Guide, and Kenny - the video tutorials. As far as I know the latter two are not financially supported by Cockos, only by their paying customers.

If Cockos were to produce the manuals and video tutorials, then the pace of development could slow down, the quality, style and approach would be different and the licence price could go up.

For Nicholas and Kenny to offer some of the hard work for free is very generous, but they really do deserve our support.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #25
triton60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I see it very differently. JCS are best at Reaper development, Nicholas - the User Guide, and Kenny - the video tutorials. As far as I know the latter two are not financially supported by Cockos, only by their paying customers.

If Cockos were to produce the manuals and video tutorials, then the pace of development could slow down, the quality, style and approach would be different and the licence price could go up.

For Nicholas and Kenny to offer some of the hard work for free is very generous, but they really do deserve our support.
+1.

For me Nicholas has produced one of the best user manuals for any software I have used, and you don't need to purchase the spiral bound copy if you prefer to read on a eReader or computer.

I have bought all Kenny's Reaper videos now and for me he is one of the best tutors I have had the pleasure of watching. I ended up buying quite a few other Groove3 videos but Kenny still remains the easiest tutor for me to learn from.
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
G-Sun

This would be perfect for me Kenny.
But of course, such tutorials would have a limited life-span.

A little feedback:
- Your talking fast. Although your good at taking pauses between your sentences Remember that we non-native-english people needs it slower.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #27
cprompt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
THANKS! This is brilliant, would love to see something on the MIDI updates
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by royarn View Post
+1000

Thanks Kenny, much appreciated.
cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #28
Bod

Kenny,

Even just a quick overview of the update in a single video would be helpful for me. Every update might contain stuff I would potentially use, but don't actually know is there.

Great work!
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #29
planetnine

As a commercial licence-holder, I would expect the printed manual and supplementary materials of a piece of software, but considering what I have from REAPER for the licence fees and upgrades I've paid, I feel I have more that my value for money. I would feel hypocritical in complaining now.

The manual is free to download, and there are loads of video tutorials on Youtube. The Lulu printing service and the Groove3 tutorials are an optional extra I'm happy to be able to choose.

Telenator is free to use the existing resources as he wants, nobody is forcing the 3rd-party extras on him.

>
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
On my browser it just played. It didn't download.

Quote:
I clicked on the other links for v4, SWS and so on. I'm sure they are fantastic and much effort and hard work has gone into them, but just like I refuse to pay for a spiral-bound hard copy of the Reaper Guide, as a policy I refuse to pay for tutorials.
At this point, it's NOT a product that's for sale. They're free.

I did the same thing with my Pro Tools tutorials. I gave them away free for the first few weeks. When it got to the point where people wanted more of them, I had to start charging because it interfered with my paying gigs. IOW - I can only work for free for so long.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #31
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Put another way, you're not really paying for the information. It's readily available in the free version of the manual. I bought the hard bound manual because I wanted to support the person who took the time to make it and I wanted the convenience of being able to carry it around with me.

My videos are similar. You're not paying for what I'm showing you. I would tell any user what I know. You're paying for it to be shown to you because you learn better that way. As do I.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #32
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
This would be perfect for me Kenny.
But of course, such tutorials would have a limited life-span.
Yeah. That's why I'm going to try to make them quick and keep them brief.

And not go over any info previously covered in Reaper 4 Explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
A little feedback:
- Your talking fast. Although your good at taking pauses between your sentences Remember that we non-native-english people needs it slower.
[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yeah. I know. I'm definitely getting better. My first tutorials were like lightning. I'll do my best.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
Kenny,

Even just a quick overview of the update in a single video would be helpful for me. Every update might contain stuff I would potentially use, but don't actually know is there.

Great work!
I was going to make one big video but it would probably take me 3 or days to finish it and it would be an hour long. Eeek.

Doing a bunch will actually be much easier for you guys to skip thru or refer back to.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Jae.Thomas

kenny, do you work via a subscription basis? If so can I download offline versions of your videos with a subscription?
Also, something on Jamstix would be niche but would be awesome.

the reaper 4.5 update? I agree this could use some tutelage.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #35
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
kenny, do you work via a subscription basis? If so can I download offline versions of your videos with a subscription?

the reaper 4.5 update? I agree this could use some tutelage.
Groove3 offers a subscription but I don't think you can download anything. You have to watch it online.

Someone else asked about Jamstix and I'm going to look into it.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Groove3 offers a subscription but I don't think you can download anything. You have to watch it online.

thats ok kenny, makes perfect sense.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #37
EJ James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Quote:
Oh HELLZ YEH!

I'd buy that one. Jamstix is giving me tired-head trying to get it all figured out.

Sorry for /derail.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #38
jonespnice

Quote:

I would agree with you in most cases, because I've purchased other videos (for different products) from other companies and I was always left with a feeling that I should've just read the manual, but the groove3 videos (and Kenny's videos are by far the best) always gives me the feeling that I've learned more than I would've learned if I had read the manual from front to back. Even if you pick up some of the pro tools videos you will still learn something new that can be applied to any daw, like his using mono delay video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O1DQRTua7U

I thought I new a lot about daw's and recording/mixing in daw's but everytime I watch one of these videos I realize how little I actually know, I wish that video like this were available 20 years ago.
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #39
jonespnice

Quote:
In light of the great new Reaper 4.5 release, I'm going to consider making tutorials to match.

Not positive of how to approach this yet so I'm hoping to get some of your feedback.
This is not Reaper 4.5 specific but I would like to see a video covering how to use the sysex in ReaControlMidi. I still use some hardware synths and one thing that I used to like about using Sonar and also the MPC 4000 is that I could record/save the system exclusive information from my synths and then when I open things up the next day every parameter was just like I left it. I know you're suppose to be able to do this in Reaper but I can't get it to work, so this would be a great video to do because I know I'm not the only one that has this problem.
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #40
buckman

Thanks for the theme, Kenny, however I probably import (drag and drop) more files than sit and record them, is there a way or action to tick, so that these are imported to the timeline as coloured tracks?

I have installed theme but not had time to record with it yet, but importing a track still gave the b/w item?

Am I doing something stupidly wrong?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote