Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #321
kesher
Human being with feelings

Default How do I create a Chain?

The attached picture is what I want to create on Reaper. The user in the picture uses another program like Reaper called Acid Pro. I really want to know how to create this sound, and I think I have to chain, but I don't know how to do it.
kesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #322
lpcrispo

attached picture ?
lpcrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #323
KeithC

No one has posted on this thread for about 6 months, but I'll give it a shot.

As a complete newb to DAW recording, and new to 8.1 as well, would the Reaper 4 explained be the best starting point for me to learn even the most basic functions? I'm a pretty quick study, but hate reading tech manuals, and I do have a knowledge of old knob and fader analog recording, but this old dog needs to get with this century. Hope you're still checking this thread Kenny, I'd love for you to answer this post.
PEACE Y'ALL, Keith
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #324
bluzkat

I'm not Kenny, but I'll chime in... the answer is yes. Reaper 4 Explained would be the best video for you to start with (all of Kenny's videos are worth watching though!!).

Please don't over look the Reaper User Guide. It is a valuable source of information and a great reference when you need an answer fast.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #325
KeithC

Thanks BluzKat, I will take your word for it, as thinking about it,you ain't sellin' the videos, and you've been on here for awhile, quite awhile! Haha. Appreciate the answer, I'll try downloading the manual, however when I tried from the help menu in Reaper, it downloaded, but wouldn't allow me to save it. I think my new PC is logging me on as "other user", and I should be the only user, and administrator, and may have to be administrator to save it, although I can't imagine why.
Peace, KC
Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #326
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
No one has posted on this thread for about 6 months, but I'll give it a shot.

As a complete newb to DAW recording, and new to 8.1 as well, would the Reaper 4 explained be the best starting point for me to learn even the most basic functions? I'm a pretty quick study, but hate reading tech manuals, and I do have a knowledge of old knob and fader analog recording, but this old dog needs to get with this century. Hope you're still checking this thread Kenny, I'd love for you to answer this post.
PEACE Y'ALL, Keith
Yes. I still monitor this thread. I certainly don't want to be a shill but as someone who has also had to learn Reaper from the ground up. I wished these videos were available.

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #327
KeithC

Thanks Kenny, I downloaded the user's guide, and got it saved, I will be purchasing your videos so I have my life to view them, as unfortunately the great value of a 30 day all access pass wouldn't give me enough time to get through one video. Should Reaper 4 explained be my first purchase? I downloaded the latest version, which I believe is 4.6. And I know almost zero, except that I like the GUI, and the Forum. One issue I know will cause me problems is that I have all my downloads in default locations picked by windows. I imagine the users guide will show me where to store them, and I can just send them to that location. I plan on installing a 256gb internal ssd sonetime this week. Should I wait until I install that, and install all my recording software on that drive because of the silent nature of ssds, then save my projects on my 2 TB 7200 RPM hdd? I have Cubase AI6 just to get the most out of my Yamaha MX61, because it uses a lot of VST3 instruments, which I track to an MTR, and drop those files into Reaper for editing, mixing, etc., and the MX is my interface for now as well. So, all of that is in different locations as well. So, to get to the point, once I install the ssd, should I send all of my recording software, and device drivers to their own specific files on the ssd, so I can recall any portion of my system from one location?
Sorry I didn't put any breathing space in this post, but for a Lawn Guilander, you're used to it! LOL
THANKS for your reply, hope you, or someone can decipher the above, and answer my rather vague questions. Hey, I'm new!
Peace (y'all ), KC
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #328
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Thanks Kenny, I downloaded the user's guide, and got it saved, I will be purchasing your videos so I have my life to view them, as unfortunately the great value of a 30 day all access pass wouldn't give me enough time to get through one video. Should Reaper 4 explained be my first purchase? I downloaded the latest version, which I believe is 4.6. And I know almost zero, except that I like the GUI, and the Forum. One issue I know will cause me problems is that I have all my downloads in default locations picked by windows. I imagine the users guide will show me where to store them, and I can just send them to that location. I plan on installing a 256gb internal ssd sonetime this week. Should I wait until I install that, and install all my recording software on that drive because of the silent nature of ssds, then save my projects on my 2 TB 7200 RPM hdd? I have Cubase AI6 just to get the most out of my Yamaha MX61, because it uses a lot of VST3 instruments, which I track to an MTR, and drop those files into Reaper for editing, mixing, etc., and the MX is my interface for now as well. So, all of that is in different locations as well. So, to get to the point, once I install the ssd, should I send all of my recording software, and device drivers to their own specific files on the ssd, so I can recall any portion of my system from one location?
Sorry I didn't put any breathing space in this post, but for a Lawn Guilander, you're used to it! LOL
THANKS for your reply, hope you, or someone can decipher the above, and answer my rather vague questions. Hey, I'm new!
Peace (y'all ), KC
I've yet to work with SSD drives so I will hold off an giving you any advice there.

But I would get Reaper Explained first and get all the way through it and consider getting Reaper Tips and Tricks if you want to learn more. Followed by Reaper Advanced if you just can't get enough.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #329
KeithC

That is what I shall do! Thank you again Kenny, will be order Reaper4 explained this weekend. Perhaps one of you nice forum members can answer my ssd/file location questions?

Best regards to all, KC
Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #330
RaylasHaze

These videos look great and I would totally pay the money....I just wish it taught with the version I have (4.62 -the newest as of May 2014)
RaylasHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #331
RaylasHaze

Right. Just found a tutorial for Reaper 4. I forgot not to open my big mouth until I've looked at everything. :P
RaylasHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #332
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaylasHaze View Post
These videos look great and I would totally pay the money....I just wish it taught with the version I have (4.62 -the newest as of May 2014)
The videos are definitely great and will get you on your way to using Reaper.

The basic functions of Reaper will be the same in the version Kenny is using in the video and 'your' newer version. Use the Reaper User Guide and the forum to get up to speed on the newest features.

Enjoy.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #333
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaylasHaze View Post
As bluzkat said, not much as changed dramatically since I've made those videos.

In fact, I constantly bounce back and forth between 4.1 and 4.6 and don't feel a difference.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #334
april927

Default tnx mate

tnx for the explanation , cheers
april927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #335
nuttewz

Awesome!!

Thank for share.

รายงานผลบอลสด กระชับ ฉับไว ได้ที่นี่ https://polball.buaksib.comผลบอล
nuttewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #336
JestMe

Default What about version 5

OK I can certainly see that these videos are very popular and I am sure they are really good so I'm good there.

What I am wondering about is as they relate to v5... are they still worthwhile for v5 users?

Anyone know if a v5 version of the course is imminent?

I would hate to get and go through the v4 course just as the v5 course is about to come out, or find out the v4 videos don't apply well to v5.

I am a newb and have no experience with v4... or practically speaking v5 for that matter!

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.
JestMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #337
trevlyns

I bought mine on v4 and still refer to it for v5 - there's very little difference - the basics are all there
Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #338
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JestMe View Post
I am a newb and have no experience with v4... or practically speaking v5 for that matter!
Have you seen these... http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php.

I believe these also were done by Kenny.

Enjoy.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #339
ivansc

Excellent resource which I for one have managed to miss totally!

Thanks for the link
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #340
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JestMe View Post
OK I can certainly see that these videos are very popular and I am sure they are really good so I'm good there.

What I am wondering about is as they relate to v5... are they still worthwhile for v5 users?

Anyone know if a v5 version of the course is imminent?

I would hate to get and go through the v4 course just as the v5 course is about to come out, or find out the v4 videos don't apply well to v5.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.
I can say this:

Most of REAPER 4 Explained will still apply.

If you need it now, get it.

If you can wait. Wait.

But you won't have to buy it twice.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #341
JestMe

Default Thanks...

I will likely plunge into the v4 version. Thanks all for the responses... you too Kenny! You've all helped reassure the new guy on the forum. Thanks
JestMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #342
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Have you seen these... http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php.

I believe these also were done by Kenny.

Enjoy.

I just clicked on the video about customizing toolbars. Crashed my fuckin display driver and Reaper stopped responding. The ATI driver successfully recovered but every open screen in Reaper is pure white and I have no reason to believe it's going to be OK. I only spent about 4 hours so far recording this latest song which is now gone. I probably deserve a lecture about auto save, but if nothing else, I learned that those fucking videos aren't welcome here.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #343
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I just clicked on the video about customizing toolbars. Crashed my fuckin display driver and Reaper stopped responding. The ATI driver successfully recovered but every open screen in Reaper is pure white and I have no reason to believe it's going to be OK. I only spent about 4 hours so far recording this latest song which is now gone. I probably deserve a lecture about auto save, but if nothing else, I learned that those fucking videos aren't welcome here.
I don't think I would blame my video driver crashing on watching the video. I would think something else is going on.

Just my two cents.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #344
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
Jumping to conclusions here.
I will be very surprised if you dont find it was not the videos that crashed your display. Works fine on mine.With an ATI card.
And like you say, engaging autosave is a really good idea.
Sorry for your loss, though.

EDIT: Two great minds....
Old 02-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #345
lolilol1975

Of interest, I compiled the REAPER tutorials in English, French, German, Russian, Spanish and Italian made by users and members of the community in this topic.

If you find channels of note that are not listed here, don't hesitate to post in that thread so that I can update the list.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 02-07-2016 at 01:51 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #346
Erling1956

Default Sorry, another newbee

Hi folks, friends or what you wish to be called :-)

I do not have a studio, only my iRig Keys and the computer with windows 10. And thougt, that I could use it together, and make som music.

After I bought Reaper, i found out, that there only was a few sounds, not a Piano, not drums and so on. So the next question is, where to find plugin with these sounds?

I am willing to spend around 20-30$ not more so any solutions is welcome.

The next problem with the newbee here, is to get Reaper and the the downloaded file/program to working together.

Hope for understanding...

Erling
Erling1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #347
Erling1956

Default Diaspointed :-(

I cant use Reaper right now, when I Saw videos, you show lot of instrument, at thats Why i bought the program. You told abort the piano, and you Said, its was a great Sound. But no instruments :-(

So now I really nede help, I am ritired and dont have lot of money, so I have around 20 dollar to spend right now, so your advise is very .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper Tutorials.

Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #348
uncleswede

Erling - Welcome :-)

There are many free or low-cost virtual instruments that you can download for use in Reaper.

Probably the best place to start is this link here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382

Rgds
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #349
Erling1956

Default Lets start :-)

I have downloadet Monofury and get this file:

Monofory.dll
Monyfury64.dll
and two more files, txt files

So how do i get Reaper to read this files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Erling - Welcome :-)

There are many free or low-cost virtual instruments that you can download for use in Reaper.

Probably the best place to start is this link here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382

Rgds
Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #350
uncleswede

You need to move those files to your VST plugins path. You can find this path (there can be multiple paths, by the way) by looking in Reaper's Options / Preferences / VST.

Once you've done that, click Re-scan and that VST instrument will be available and can be added to a track via it's FX button.

Last edited by uncleswede; 06-09-2016 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #351
jonluc1

Default Wav files available?

Total newbie here but loving Reaper. Using Kenny's tutorial's from the Reaper Video page. As a teacher, I've seen many video "tutorials" that are really not even close to real teaching. Kenny - your tutorials are awesome...

That being said, you have many audio/wav files you use in the tutorials. It would be helpful if these were available for download to follow along with you. I have my own, but they just are not the same. For me, comparing/duplicating is a great learning tool. Having the same files you use would just make my learning easier.

So, is there any way/place to get copies of the audio files used in the website video training?
jonluc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #352
Burnsjethro

Thanks for all your sterling work, Kenny.

I must confess that when I started watching your videos, I, as someone from England, thought you were a non-American speaking very good English.

I am not really familiar with your kind of NY accent. The NY accents I know are from films (Woody Allen films, for example). I visited the city in the mid-197 but the people who were showing me around, my friends, were from Philadelphia, and we we doing China Town, Little Italy,... so I do not really notice the local accent.

Anyway, that is by the by, and does not detract at all from all the wonderful services you have provided us with.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #353
Burnsjethro

Amended version with correction of my typos.

Thanks for all your sterling work, Kenny.

I must confess that when I started watching your videos, I, as someone from England, thought you were a non-American speaking very good English.

I am not really familiar with your kind of NY accent. The NY accents I know are from films (Woody Allen films, for example). I visited the city in the mid-1970s but the people who were showing me around, my friends, were from Philadelphia, and we were doing China Town, Little Italy,... so I did not really notice the local accent.

Anyway, that is by the by, and does not detract at all from all the wonderful services you have provided us with.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #354
birdman

Default Lost without your videos

Quote:
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper Tutorials.

Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
Hey goombah........If it werent for your videos, I probably would have gone back to my digital equipment. Your great tutorials are why Im here and functioning on Reaper. The 6 million page fine print manual works better than xanax and chardonnay.

Thanks again!

Bill
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #355
DJF-1975

Default Thank you, Kenny~

...just another VERY thankful Reaper user~! Thanks so much for all you do for this amazing DAW!

D
Old 03-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #356
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJF-1975 View Post
...just another VERY thankful Reaper user~! Thanks so much for all you do for this amazing DAW!

D
Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #357
kris.audioplanet

Absolutely invaluable! How about a little help with getting Reaper Video to chase Item move and edge edit?
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #358
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet View Post
Absolutely invaluable! How about a little help with getting Reaper Video to chase Item move and edge edit?
Explain a bit more?
Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #359
kris.audioplanet

Quote:
Explain a bit more?
When I grab an item or edit its edges, the movie doesn't chase until I release. I need to be able to see the movie follow so that I can precisely edit the audio and midi to picture.
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #360
frazzmata

Default yeah, I hope youre right

I work with some pretty complicated software, Reaper is up there.
But, I don't find the interface that difficult, the actual recording and making of audio.
The difficult parts are:
1.)Most VSTs I add, dont show up, that was after I figured out how to use the terminal to get around the Catalina security issue. They're still not there.

2.) Just no sound, for no explainable reason. Midi connected, interface connected, options/preferences everything is right, and nothing.
I can switch right over to one of the other unmentionable DAWs and fire it right up and jam. Not in Reaper.

Even followed Kenny's setup video (which is well done and not difficult to follow at all) to the letter and no sound.

SMH I wanna use it, its the kind of software I want to support. But... I want to make music more.

Last edited by frazzmata; 06-15-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar
frazzmata is offline   Reply With Quote