https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaHuLMg9tY

(I enjoyed the REAPER intro video, too
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #42
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Oh Snap. I think I say that a few times throughout.

I never heard of Free Lossless Audio Codec.

I had a bunch of people asking me about Fruity Loops that week and assumed.

It's actually easy for to change. Might be harder on their end.
It's an format commonly used by Audiophiles and pirates.

About the equivalent to Apple Lossless but open.

On PC I use FLACdrop and xACT on Mac for converting.
iTunes doesn't read FLAC but Songbird or Cog do on Mac.

If you want smaller file size but don't want to degrade the audio quality FLAC is the way to go.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #43
lxm

Quote:
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper Tutorials.

Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
this is freaking incredible!!!!! so stoked
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #44
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Re: east coast accents, this one is my favorite:

Like "o" as in "toeoeoeowe".

But there again all you guys over there in the colonies have funny accents. You even TYPE funny! (grinny grin grin)

Yvain deLava
la Corse, France

P.S. Just watched the sampler video and they are right! my eyeballs are where my ears are normally! Talk about high speed delivery! You could have done them at normal human being speed, had it come out to ohhh.. about 5.5 hours and charged us more!

Last edited by ivansc; 07-02-2010 at 10:16 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #45
PeterMalick

Quote:
I'm actually more interested to see how my loyal Pro Tools fan base is going to take it.
I think that any serious Pro Tools user has got to be frustrated, at best. Personally, I see a slow, painful, death spiral for AVID. Their business is built on a model that has changed significantly. It's no longer viable, and I don't think they're going to be able to adjust. It's not acceptable for us to have to wait 6 months for a serious bug to be fixed.

This tutorial series is a pretty bold statement, I'd say. You obviously have been spending lots of time with Reaper. Looks like the future, to me.
PeterMalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #46
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Like "o" as in "toeoeoeowe".

But there again all you guys over there in the colonies have funny accents. You even TYPE funny! (grinny grin grin)

Yvain deLava
la Corse, France

P.S. Just watched the sampler video and they are right! my eyeballs are where my ears are normally! Talk about high speed delivery! You could have done them at normal human being speed, had it come out to ohhh.. about 5.5 hours and charged us more!
Yes, it is even more of a bargain with his fast and high speed delivery of information especially if English is your first language because he packs a lot into each of his tutorial videos. Just watch the vids several times while pausing and replay to catch what he is saying if it is flying past you. Have Reaper open and practice what he preaches while watching.

Not only am I learning a bunch of stuff I had no clue was hidden inside Reaper but I am even picking up on his Lawn Guyland accent. It might help me out when I visit back East sometime when ordering food or something. You know like getting a bigger piece of pie because the staff thinks you are from the neighborhood. Heck, one can learn Reaper, English, a new dialect and an accent all at the same time. ;-)
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #47
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMalick View Post
I think that any serious Pro Tools user has got to be frustrated, at best. Personally, I see a slow, painful, death spiral for AVID. Their business is built on a model that has changed significantly. It's no longer viable, and I don't think they're going to be able to adjust. It's not acceptable for us to have to wait 6 months for a serious bug to be fixed.

This tutorial series is a pretty bold statement, I'd say. You obviously have been spending lots of time with Reaper. Looks like the future, to me.
+1, I totally agree!!!!!
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #48
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I watched the free preview, it looks great.

I am also impressed that the 10 minute preview appears to be a single take! Even if it's not a single take, it speaks well for your editing skills that it seems like one

(OK, I re watched, it's more than one take. Still, nice performance!)
We are given some very cool software, Kenny is a master, but it even makes my stuff look like a one take wonder!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #49
lxm

Quote:

+2!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #50
snatchman

SOT...Can these be order just in boxed DVDs...?( no download)..I see that in the cart select it states it takes 3-4 days to ship Domestic,but on the site it says 3-4 weeks..Thanks...
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #51
lxm

any coupon codes for us kenny?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #52
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Re: east coast accents, this one is my favorite:

Awesome.

Quote:

I'd say this has more to do with what Reaper is doing right and less to do with what Pro Tools is doing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
Yes, it is even more of a bargain with his fast and high speed delivery of information especially if English is your first language because he packs a lot into each of his tutorial videos. Just watch the vids several times while pausing and replay to catch what he is saying if it is flying past you. Have Reaper open and practice what he preaches while watching.

Not only am I learning a bunch of stuff I had no clue was hidden inside Reaper but I am even picking up on his Lawn Guyland accent. It might help me out when I visit back East sometime when ordering food or something. You know like getting a bigger piece of pie because the staff thinks you are from the neighborhood. Heck, one can learn Reaper, English, a new dialect and an accent all at the same time. ;-)
Too funny.

This should be written on the box.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #53
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
SOT...Can these be order just in boxed DVDs...?( no download)..I see that in the cart select it states it takes 3-4 days to ship Domestic,but on the site it says 3-4 weeks..Thanks...
bump...
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #54
PeterMalick

Quote:
I'd say this has more to do with what Reaper is doing right and less to do with what Pro Tools is doing wrong.
I think it's a bit of both.

Speaking only for myself, I would never of gotten here if AVID were responsive to some of the larger issues that came up with PT 8.

Now that I'm here, you're absolutely right, there's dozens of amazing features unique to Reaper. And they're simply genius. They're almost all "duh, of course we needed that", but it evidently took some out of the box thinking to implement them. Brilliant!
PeterMalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #55
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
bump...
This would be better answered by Groove3 who may be out of the office for the holiday.

Click Here

Quote:

Now that I'm here, you're absolutely right, there's dozens of amazing features unique to Reaper. And they're simply genius. They're almost all "duh, of course we needed that", but it evidently took some out of the box thinking to implement them. Brilliant!
Couldn't agree more.

Snapping? Of course. Why does it need a grid mode when it can just Snap when it's close?

Or hold down Shift to disable. No more shifting to Grid mode then back to Slip mode.

Change every color in the program? Of course.

A key command for everything? Yes. Yes. Yes.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #56
Grünfeld

Kenny,

thank you. Very good vid. I bought the download. Totally worth it.

I am not a noob to Reaper and I've "got by" and it's great seeing the video with someone who knows their way around the program. It's like learning from a mate.

Nice one.

Oli

Last edited by Grünfeld; 07-05-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Grünfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #57
Wizman

Kenny,

I've been a fan of all your Pro Tools vidz. How do you hear the Reaper sound engine and it's Rea-native plugins in comparison with what you use in PT??
do you feel the 64-bit engine in Reaper is a superior sound engine than that of an HD system??
Again, to your ears...
Wizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #58
gwok

hey I just thought I'd share this as it might be of some value to PT users

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60743

g
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #59
Kundalinguist

Just watched the video too. Good pacing, liked the accent, too. Kind of like one of the "Outsiders" teaching you how to record. Ralph Macchio, but tougher. Some tutorial voices can be rather annoying, but yours is actually so unique that it made listening more interesting. I figure that's a good thing.

Glad to see this in the collection of Reaper recruitment materials.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #60
lxm

just wanted to thank you for the videos kenny. SUPER helpful. any plans for more advanced videos?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #61
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizman View Post
Kenny,

I've been a fan of all your Pro Tools vidz. How do you hear the Reaper sound engine and it's Rea-native plugins in comparison with what you use in PT??
do you feel the 64-bit engine in Reaper is a superior sound engine than that of an HD system??
Again, to your ears...
Thank you.

I think all of the plugins hold up nicely to what I have going in Pro Tools.

I still prefer to mix in Pro Tools and I am more comfortable with plugins that I've used for years now. But that may change.

I think the sound engine sounds great but I'm not using the 64 bit version. I'm still on a PPC mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
just wanted to thank you for the videos kenny. SUPER helpful. any plans for more advanced videos?
Yes. Definitely.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #62
run, megalodon

Hey Kenny,

Could you tell a bit more about what's keeping you in PT for mixing? Is it just the plugs?

Also, I believe that Reaper's audio engine is 64bit regardless of whether you are using the 32 or 64 bit version of the program.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #63
norbury brook

yes the audio engine is 64 bit for both the x86 and x64 versions of Reaper.

MC
Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #64
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
yes the audio engine is 64 bit for both the x86 and x64 versions of Reaper.
That's right, the audio processing is 64 bit on all operating systems.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #65
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Hey Kenny,

Could you tell a bit more about what's keeping you in PT for mixing? Is it just the plugs?

Also, I believe that Reaper's audio engine is 64bit regardless of whether you are using the 32 or 64 bit version of the program.
It's actually a bunch of things. I have so many goto plugins that just aren't in Reaper. But I'm slowly migrating into new ones.

I'm much faster at automating in Pro Tools. I have a Control24 so that is tough to compete with using a mousewheel.

Right now I'm happy going back and forth. It helps me appreciate what each program does better and I'm constantly building different workflows as I do more and more in Reaper.

Thanks for all the support.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #66
asadoyle

Hello Everyone,

Asa Doyle from Groove 3 here. I wanted to thank everyone for their support and the warm reception we are receiving from the community. It really means a lot to us. We are dedicating more resources to Reaper and you will continue to see more Reaper training from us.

Quote:
Whenever we release a new product, we make the download available immediately, but the discs are usually still at the production facility. Normally they are in and shipping more quickly than the 3-4 weeks that is noted on the product page.

The "3-4 Days" shipping time you see for the selected shipping method during checkout reflects how long it will take to arrive once the item has shipped.

Sorry for any confusion on that.

If anyone has any questions, dont hesitate to contact us through our support form on the site or via phone.

Thanks again for your support.

All the best,
Asa
asadoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #67
EpicSounds

My review is up on Audiogeekzine

http://www.audiogeekzine.com/2010/07...y-kenny-gioia/

Quote:
I went through the tutorial over the weekend and I was thoroughly impressed by just how much is covered in a short time. I have been using Reaper fairly heavily (almost daily) for a few months now but never had any formal training. Reaper was a hard DAW to learn. This video really helped solidify my understanding of how various functions work in Reaper as well as teaching me a ton of stuff I hadn’t even seen yet (like the routing and grouping matrix). The section on Toolbar customization alone will improve my workflow immensely.

I don’t usually give ratings to products (maybe I should?) but I can’t stress enough how great this video is.

Rating: 9/10 Groove3 sets the bar high for quality tutorial videos and this one exceeded my expectations. This video is essential training for every Reaper user.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #68
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Can't thank you enough. Thank you.

Love the DUC refugee.

Can I start calling myself "The Amazing Kenny Gioia" so people don't get me confused with the regular version?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #69
mcknigs

I tried to watch the sample but I just see a flash of the little red "no-video-here" X. Is the sample still there? Could this be a function of having upgraded to IE 8?

Thanks

-Scott
mcknigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #70
Kenny Gioia

You may have tried to access the video while we were switching it.

We decided to use the Navigation and Zooming tutorial as our new sample tutorial.

We just felt it provided more information than the Introduction video.

So, one more free video for everyone.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #71
AirborneFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
That's all I needed to know. I am buying this series tonight. Sample video was completely awesome!
AirborneFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #72
shaun5150

Excellent.....had a looksey at the "Navi" video....clear, concise and informative.....so I've taken the plunge and bought the entire set....downloading later today....

Great Work Kenny

:-)
shaun5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #73
AirborneFO

Dude.....this is the best video training series EVER!! I have learned more sitting here the last hour than the last 2 months playing around with REAPER. Holy S**T!!!

Just setting up a new project cleanly was worth it, along with MIDI examples. EVERYTHING makes complete sense now. LMAO!

Best $40 spent so far for my home studio. Great friggin job!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #74
jmcecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
But there again all you guys over there in the colonies have funny accents.
Took you guys 2 thousand years to invent the language. Only took us 200 to perfect it !
jmcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #75
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun5150 View Post
Excellent.....had a looksey at the "Navi" video....clear, concise and informative.....so I've taken the plunge and bought the entire set....downloading later today....

Great Work Kenny

:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneFO View Post
Dude.....this is the best video training series EVER!! I have learned more sitting here the last hour than the last 2 months playing around with REAPER. Holy S**T!!!

Just setting up a new project cleanly was worth it, along with MIDI examples. EVERYTHING makes complete sense now. LMAO!

Best $40 spent so far for my home studio. Great friggin job!
You guys are almost making the 4 weeks of cursing at tongue (quite literally) seem worth it.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #76
richie43

I loved the sample so have purchased it! It is downloading right now. By the way Kenny, I have never used Pro-tools but have recorded to it in many-a-studio. I am a 45 year old musician and have even recorded to 2 inch tape in my time. I am also familiar with some of your work, so it's awesome to see you on this forum. I think that your dual DAW approach is good for some of the Reaper elitists; whatever gets the job done is what a person should use. I will say that it was on the last project I recorded in a PT studio that the engineer recommended Reaper to me (after I had already begun to tinker with it). Since then, he is slowly migrating to an all Reaper studio. Anyway, thanks for your super-valuable input and good luck with your own work.

Rich
________
lolol

Last edited by richie43; 01-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #77
Jae.Thomas

from the unofficial reaper chat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle
Somebody tell me who the hell is Kenny Gioia and why the hell should he be paid a bunch of money for what users have been getting in here free off bbb/myself and various other users ?
- not my words, not how i feel, but maybe a good question to answer?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #78
richie43

Many people HAVE contributed much to Reaper. But to answer the question;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Gioia

Just try to learn from other peoples experience and success.
________
Suzuki A95

Last edited by richie43; 01-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #79
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Many people HAVE contributed much to Reaper. But to answer the question;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Gioia

Just try to learn from other peoples experience and success.
I agree totally
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #80
AirborneFO

My take is this. I am more a "visual" learner. One of those people that you just have to show me real quick and I am good. I have downloaded and printed the complete REAPER Manual and there is alot there to go over. BUT....with my job (Army), I don't have a whole lot of time to read 400+ pages. Sitting down and watching a quick 10-min video is way better for me.

So in the end....I had $40, and it works for me. And it's all in one place. To each their own I guess.