Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #81
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by libr8d View Post
Ok. Would say this book could be a good basis for a short course targeted at teens and pre-teens? It seems that way, and Reaper seems like a brilliant choice.

Are there bulk rates/educational rates?

Thanks

:libr8d - pron: liberated :
I would say it is probably ideally suited to such a group, and best with some teacher support available. REAPER is definitely the ideal choice of software, not least because it is an ideal fully-featured learning platform without breaking the bank.

I can't help you with group rates, though, as I have no influence over the company's distribution etc. arrangements.

It might be worth your while contacting some of the on-line suppliers such as Amazon to see whether they do group/educational discounts. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that one.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #82
Juca
Human being with feelings

Hi Geoffrey:
I have purchased both, the Reamix and the Reaper User Guide and both are excellent tools for the audio production with Reaper. Congrats for your nice work in these books.
I ever was a Sonar user and I´m testing Reaper for a medium time. I´m considering to move definitively for Reaper and I have one question: are you planning a bonus pdf about the changes and news introduced in Reaper 3 for the people that have purchased those books?
Thank you and best regards from Brazil.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #83
nicholas
Scribe

Hello Juca,

Thanks for your enquiry!

REAPER 3 has so many new features (some big, some small) that to produce a separate document of new features and changes only simply wouldn't be practicable. So instead, we're working on a way for people like yourself to be able to get the full new REAPER 3 User Guide PDF free of charge whne it is released.

This together with the changelog should well enable you to update your knowledge to include the enw features. J

By the way, now I remember you from the Sonar forum, welcome!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #84
Juca

Thank you for the info. I´ll wait for the Reaper 3 User Guide release and for the way to get it free.
Greetings.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #85
Hurricane Ramon

Default Midi Stuff

Hello Nicholas

Does this book show you how to fully implement midi controls such as drum patch and midi guitar patch editing ?

For example :

I have a Digitech GNX4 with 100 midi drum programs and 10 drum kits . It also has 80 factory and 80 user guitar patches , the user patches can be programmed and changed to your liking and can be individually changed and or selected by a programmed midi command in a midi song file .

In other words the guitar's sound via the patch its in can be changed to another sounding guitar patch in a given midi song file . The drum patterns in my GNX4 as well as drum kit are also programmable to changes through out a given midi song file to give the song a more " live " drummer feel instead of a static set one of a kind drum kit and pattern . All midi songs are stored on a CF memory card that holds 100 song files heh heh . More cards more songs to have on hand , it's endless cool huh

I have also a Roland GR33 guitar synthesizer to add to this equation it has more drum kits Also the guitar I use ( Godin LGXSA ) is a midi guitar and can change midi patches as well so I want to know if your book and software addresses these issues as well , if they do I will more than likely get it . The software I have that came with the GNX4 is good over all allowing me hands free recording via the GNX4 or my computer , but I have no way of accessing the software's literature to find out how to make these command changes I have posed to you now .

Here I sit , finally have my guitar chops up to the level of my other main axe's level of intensity , to these two instruments I want to add stings like the Moody Blues , Electric Light Orchestra and Andrew Bird but am stopped short of it now due to not knowing how to use this power

My vocals are good too and I want to something to jump start my recording process .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #86
nicholas
Scribe

Ramon,

Thanks for your question, the short answer alas is "No". This is a very, very basic book which introduces the newcomer to home recording step by step but doesn't go into that much depth.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #87
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
The software I have that came with the GNX4 is good over all allowing me hands free recording via the GNX4 or my computer , but I have no way of accessing the software's literature to find out how to make these command changes I have posed to you now .
Try this page:
http://www.digitech.com/products/GNX4/

or this one
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...sp=0&iCncd=266
Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #88
Hurricane Ramon

Default Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Ramon,

Thanks for your question, the short answer alas is "No". This is a very, very basic book which introduces the newcomer to home recording step by step but doesn't go into that much depth.
Thanx Nicholas for your courtesy response . Can you direct me towards something online or someone / book , that addresses these questions I put forth to you ?

================================================== ===========================

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Try this page:
http://www.digitech.com/products/GNX4/

or this one
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...sp=0&iCncd=266

DarkStar
... interesting, if true.

Hello Darkstar :

I have had this unit a little over 4 years and it's operated really great . I have used it live and also recorded several acoustic steel and nylon guitars with microphones , it's really adaptable for live situations or home studio work .

Truth is I'm only at it on guitar now 10 years and I studied the market for a DAW and fx /stomp boxes , stand alone and computer compatible digital recorder for my electric / acoustic electric / midi guitar ( Godin LGXSA midi guitar ) for recording my stuff .

Almost as long as I have been playing / learning guitar I had also been studying the needed gear for recording live and at home as well as midi guitar systems since I am a multiple instrument player , and sing too .

After I realized I was going to be able to back myself on recordings with guitar and also knowing about the power of midi because of Blues / Jazz/ Rocker Jeff Beck and Jazz / Blues guitarist Pat Matheny and a few others while I wasn't able to play guitar ( long story happy ending so far ) for a long time the midi issue was a natural go for me .

The GR33 Roland hooked to my Godin LGXSA makes strings sound like they are violins , cellos , and so forth because the string of a midi guitar triggers the sound better than a keyboard can . With the audio out of the GR33 I can record into the GNX4 or to my p . c . via the GNX4's USB the " audio " so far only .

But . . . .

I want to be able to record for example a midi song file that uses a acoustic electric country sounding guitar patch and a simple 2 step country shuffle like Emerson Lake & Palmer's " Hoedown "and then goes into something like the Moody Blue's " Ride My See Saw " and when that happens and the song ramps up and I go to a Electric Light Orchestra " Evil Woman " groove and feel with synthesizers going astrophysical , as the guitar patch with out myself making a physical

" foot stomp kick " changes to

the electric guitar patch automatically from acoustic electric patch sound ,

Then

to a Jazzy/Bluesy feel as the midi drums go into something like Santana's Latin " Jingo " with conga drums , timbales , and other Latin percussion kick in as the electric guitar goes primal .

With midi programmed command changes I could do this if I knew how to do it . This system I have is quite capable of doing it .

Me - - I am the weakest link in the proverbial technological chain

In a live situation I could trigger a midi song file after I make a single guitar and vocal intro , this would allow live looping of different instruments to the initial basic rhythm track .

In a studio I can think of many ways this ( midi command changes ) could help . I could hook up a keyboard controller to enable program command changes like those mentioned above and place them into a midi song file ( of a max of 100 midi song files along side of 100 custom made MP3 song files ) on a CF memory card .

2 gig CF memroy cards online @ ebay are cheap !

I custom make guitar patches off the existing 80 in the " user patches " from the 80 unchangeable factory guitar patches . I can store 80 customized patches on board the GNX4 and then an other 80 on the CF memory card .

I blow Blues harp , 55 years since the day I first started in September . I have studied numerous Blues harp giants who played acoustically mic'd harmonicas from a short distance from the mic to those of yesteryear who jammed a microphone up close and personal to a Blues harp and exploded like atomic bombs setting rooms ablaze with fantastic chops as well as a wild animal rough as can be tough sounding groove as intense as a electric guitarslinger . With the amp/cabinet modeler I can get Blues harp legend Paul Butterfield's Fender Bassman tube crunch - - Yep not exactly like it but damn close enough for this harmonica playing mad man .

I could go on and on .

Those two urls are good to learn a bit about this system approach . The Digitech company has a cool forum for the GNX4 , there you can hear what others have made in the manner of personal electric guitar patches . Many are cool and down loadable so you can use them yourself free . There is also a inter prizing forum member who has made for sale a whole bunch of patches for the GNX4 so you don't have to learn how to make these electric guitar patches !

Me I like to tweak em to my personal liking .

I am still learning as I go .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #89
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
Thanx Nicholas for your courtesy response . Can you direct me towards something online or someone / book , that addresses these questions I put forth to you ?
Off the top of my head I don't think I can ... why not post your question as a new thread, it might get the attention of someone who can help you?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #90
bluzkat

Ramon,

I have found this to be a good book "MIDI Power!".

http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail....-1-59863-084-8.

There are also many other books on MIDI on this site (just search for MIDI at the top of the page). Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #91
FriscoSam

Default A bit late to the party..........

Congrats, Nicholas, on your latest release. (I finally had time to check out this thread). I'll have to check this book out; I have ReaMix and it helped me tremendously.

FriscoSam
FriscoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #92
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygong2000 View Post
I don't know how to use this software!
I'm not sure that this is the best thread for your post .... maybe you should try posting your questions in the Newbs forum, that might bring you some help ...

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #93
Nicht Bernd

3. book I bought from you. They´re fantastic. Thanks for that.Paid 22,40 Euro at Amazon Germany for that.

Last edited by Nicht Bernd; 06-17-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Nicht Bernd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #94
david5150

Hello:

I´m from Spain. I´m newbie for here.

What about this book?.

http://www.amazon.com/REAPER-Power-C...485009&sr=1-10
david5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #95
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5150 View Post
Hello:

I´m from Spain. I´m newbie for here.

What about this book?.

http://www.amazon.com/REAPER-Power-C...485009&sr=1-10
Hi David,

It's not released yet, but should be in a couple of weeks or so. I'll be posting some info about it quite soon. Thanks for asking!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #96
DTW

I've just ordered your Home Recording for Beginners; seems just what I need to get a good perspective on how far I can/want to go into recording.

One question I have deals more with the reality of getting older. I have more than average hearing for my age, but at 56, have no illusions that I hear all the frequencies of 20 year old. Does this limitation preclude my being able to create high-level mixes? Are there ways to work around less than perfect ears?

Last edited by DTW; 09-07-2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Typo
DTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #97
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW View Post
I've just ordered your Home Recording for Beginners; seems just what I need to get a good perspective on how far I can/want to go into recording.

One question I have deals more with the reality of getting older. I have more than average hearing for my age, but at 56, have no illusions that I hear all the frequencies of 20 year old. Does this limitation preclude my being able to create high-level mixes? Are there ways to work around less than perfect ears?
Everyone is different, but assuming that your hearing is no worse than might normally be expected for your age I wouldn't worry about it. Give your test mixes to others to test and be guided by their comments.

I'm going to make another suggestion. Get a frequency analyzer like the JS one supplied with Reaper or Blue Cat por Roger Nichols (both free). You can add them to the end of your master FX chain for some sort of visual confirmation.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #98
DTW

Thank you for your advice. In the short time I've been on this forum, I'm blown away by willingness of experts like you to take the time to help newbies like me. Its quite a different world.

I look forward to reading your Home Recording For Beginners.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #99
DJ Melto

Default New guy

Hello evryone. This is my 1st post. I have no idea how to record anything yet, but I'm sure this forum will be a great help. I don't even currently have any recording equipment. I joined to gain an eduction. This book looks like a good start for a newbe. I was thinking of downloading the 30 day trial and just using a cheep Mic [USB] in order to play with the system. However I was also thinking it might be smarter to get some more schooling before I download the program and waste days of use.

DJM
DJ Melto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #100
DTW

Just finishing up Home Recording For Beginners and downloaded Reamix..... great work... clear, audience-focused writing with enough recording/mixing-experienced insight to make for an enjoyable and efficient learning experience.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #101
kingbenlucas

Default Plug Ins Etc.

Hi,
sorry if this isn't the place but in reamix (which i am enjoying very much) you use reaper/free plug ins. When working a mix up yourself do you use these plugs or do you us soonnox/waves etc?
kingbenlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #102
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbenlucas View Post
Hi,
sorry if this isn't the place but in reamix (which i am enjoying very much) you use reaper/free plug ins. When working a mix up yourself do you use these plugs or do you us soonnox/waves etc?
I use mostly ReaPlugs/JS, plus any of a selection of good freeware reverbs. Waves in my opinion are grossly overpriced and over-rated.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #103
kingbenlucas

thanks for your reply, tres interesting
kingbenlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #104
hurplegrappers

Hi all i'm new here and new to home recording. firstly i'd like to say what a fantastic resource this is and thanks everyone especially nicholas for all the useful posts.

i'm really enjoying the book but i have a problem, it goes like this... accompanying cd falls off edge of sofa, drunk sister comes stumbling in at the early hours, stiletto's, pop, cd in bits. I hadn't even used it coz i'm waiting for an external drive to turn up. I'm gutted.

is there anyway i can get it replaced? if it means having to purchase again then so be it but if a download is available then great! I would like to follow the examples provided but now i'm stuck. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

keep up the good work...
hurplegrappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #105
karhide

In case anyone is near Princeton, New Jersey I have just donated my copy of Home Recording to the Princeton Library and it should be in their book sale.

We're moving back to the UK and my copy of Reaper Power will be going with me
karhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #106
Sidney

Hey nicholas

I'm about halfway through the book.. and it's a great read! I just ordered another one of your books and looking forward to reading it

Thx
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #107
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
Hey nicholas

I'm about halfway through the book.. and it's a great read! I just ordered another one of your books and looking forward to reading it

Thx
Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #108
vadinqui
Banned

My only final thought is that the connecting lead supplied is not up to the job, but don't worry, I can't prove that so I really do give up. Sincere Thanks for attempts to help me anyway.
vadinqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #109
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadinqui View Post
My only final thought is that the connecting lead supplied is not up to the job, but don't worry, I can't prove that so I really do give up. Sincere Thanks for attempts to help me anyway.
Are you sure you've posted this in the right place?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #110
moodswinger

Nic-

Don't think his post was anything.
I think it was the links in his sig he was getting posted.
only 1 post, so he couldn't have been in contact with anyone prior to that post.

Idiots.
if there's a sound you play, that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the bastard anyway.

Be Schitzophonic.
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #111
snailgem

Default what reaper version is the book using?

what version of Reaper is "Home Recording for Beginners" written for?

thanks
snailgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #112
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailgem View Post
what version of Reaper is "Home Recording for Beginners" written for?

thanks
It uses 2.5 (evaluation copy included on CD with book) but you should be able to run it with any version from 2.0 onwards.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #113
snailgem

Quote:
It uses 2.5 (evaluation copy included on CD with book) but you should be able to run it with any version from 2.0 onwards.
thanks - as a beginner with reaper and due to what i understand are significant changes from 2 to 3 i think it might confuse more than help me to try to learn, while at the same time figuring out how to do in reaper 3 what is described in terms of reaper 2.
i think i might be better off with "reaper power" which i understand is based on reaper 3.

Last edited by snailgem; 11-21-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #114
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
thanks - as a beginner with reaper and due to what i understand are significant changes from 2 to 3 i think it might confuse more than help me to try to learn, while at the same time figuring out how to do in reaper 3 what is described in terms of reaper 2.
i think i might be better off with "reaper power" which i understand is based on reaper 3.
If you've done ANY even half serious PC recording before with ANY sofwtare (e.g. cubase, sonar, etc) you'd almost certainly find the beginners book too basic. If that's the case, definitely REAPER Power would be a much better choice for you.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #115
snailgem

Quote:
If you've done ANY even half serious PC recording before with ANY sofwtare (e.g. cubase, sonar, etc) you'd almost certainly find the beginners book too basic. If that's the case, definitely REAPER Power would be a much better choice for you.
thing is i haven't done any even quarter serious pc recording before (that's what the 'beginner' in my earlier post was about). so the "Home Recording for Beginners" looks like it's for me, i'm just afraid i won't be able to use it with reaper 3.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #116
nicholas
Scribe

Ah I see! Well you'd have two options:

1. An evaluation version of Reaper 2.5 is included on the CD that comes with the book. You'd need to check with Justin I guess, but I am assuming that if you have a Reaper 3 license then that should probably also cover you for earlier versions. You can install it on your computer alongside Reaper 3.x (just use a different directory name).

.. or ..

2. The most basic features are almost all the same in Reaper 3.x as in 2.x - the differences are mostly that extra more advanced stuff has been added. You should be able to work thru the material in the book in Reaper 3 just about the same as you can in 2.x.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #117
Lazarus1140

Quote:
thing is i haven't done any even quarter serious pc recording before (that's what the 'beginner' in my earlier post was about). so the "Home Recording for Beginners" looks like it's for me, i'm just afraid i won't be able to use it with reaper 3.

I was in exactly the same situation. The software included with the book is indeed an earlier version of Reaper. Just to be sure examples and screen shots in the book would match what I was looking at in my computer I first uninstalled the newer version and then downloaded the older version included with the book. I have been going through the lessons and they have been a big help to me.

I am just about to learn about creating loops and using the effect plug-ins.

I am very happy that I decided to purchase the book.

Even though I haven't studied the use of effects I did skip ahead a bit and it looks like it may be a challenge ....... not incorporating them, but adjusting the parameters. I am accustomed to simple analog controls for example, delay, time, regen, mix for a delay. There are so many parameters to adjust on the plugins .........

Well, I'll see how it goes when I actually reach that point in the4 book
Lazarus1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #118
redneckpagan

Default rk file ext. for updating Reaper reg key?

Hi, anybody have an idea where to find the software that doesn't cost $30 just to download the Reaper registry key? I'm running XP and keep it up to date but can't open the key from Reaper on it's own.
redneckpagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #119
ChaseEversole

Many thanks man, and congrats!!
ChaseEversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #120
gsbe

Can you still purchase this as a download?
gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote