Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
johnlewisgrant
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI VELOCITY CONTROL FXs?

Can these just be added to any fx on a MIDI track and you're ready to go? Or is there something else. Kontakt, Reverbs, etc. no problem. But the MIDI fxs seem to require something more; they're not working for me.

I'm talking about a completed MIDI piano track, not live playing. Something tells me that the VEL CONTROL MIDI fx is set up for playing live, as opposed to listening to and adjusting a completed track?

Last edited by johnlewisgrant; 11-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.
johnlewisgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Put it before (above) the instrument plug.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
johnlewisgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Put it before (above) the instrument plug.
OK. Will do.

Yup... That works. Who would have thought? I wonder why that's necessary?

What's the logic?
Old 11-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
nait

Pardon me, as I'm putting this in my own Laymen's terms a bit..

Think of your FX chain as a linear timeline - this effect takes input in, and spits this output to the next thing in the chain. Think of FX you use as either MIDI FX that affect MIDI signals or Audio FX that affect audio signals. The ones you're referring to are meant to process MIDI data, and then output it as different MIDI data.

Now, MIDI data on it's own doesn't make a sound. It needs something to process it into a waveform to make sound - that's going to be your VSTi. So you need to alter this MIDI data before it hits the VSTi. If you do it after, your VSTi has already processed the MIDI into audio, and it's just passing along the altered MIDI information to anything else in the chain that may or may not be able to do something with it.

Most FX like reverbs and delays and such need to be after the VSTi because they are actually processing/altering an audio signal, not MIDI data.

So again, that brings me back to a few concepts:
- MIDI FX will alter MIDI data, Audio FX alter audio data (I'm simplifying here, probably, but that's the gist).
- Certain VSTis (ex. synths) will take a MIDI signal and generate a waveform (aka sound) from that MIDI data.
- MIDI on it's own does not make a sound, so you need something after your finished MIDI data to make the sound (VSTi).

I hope that explained it well enough.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
johnlewisgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Pardon me, as I'm putting this in my own Laymen's terms a bit..

Think of your FX chain as a linear timeline - this effect takes input in, and spits this output to the next thing in the chain. Think of FX you use as either MIDI FX that affect MIDI signals or Audio FX that affect audio signals. The ones you're referring to are meant to process MIDI data, and then output it as different MIDI data.

Now, MIDI data on it's own doesn't make a sound. It needs something to process it into a waveform to make sound - that's going to be your VSTi. So you need to alter this MIDI data before it hits the VSTi. If you do it after, your VSTi has already processed the MIDI into audio, and it's just passing along the altered MIDI information to anything else in the chain that may or may not be able to do something with it.

Most FX like reverbs and delays and such need to be after the VSTi because they are actually processing/altering an audio signal, not MIDI data.

So again, that brings me back to a few concepts:
- MIDI FX will alter MIDI data, Audio FX alter audio data (I'm simplifying here, probably, but that's the gist).
- Certain VSTis (ex. synths) will take a MIDI signal and generate a waveform (aka sound) from that MIDI data.
- MIDI on it's own does not make a sound, so you need something after your finished MIDI data to make the sound (VSTi).

I hope that explained it well enough.
Very useful info. Don't dig in to this stuff much, anymore. But sometimes its unavoidable.