Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
ultramagnus_tcv
Human being with feelings

Default My head around editing tracks

Hello,

Yes, I'm a refugee from Audacity. I am slowly reading the forum and the looking through the user guide. I'm learning here and there. A friend gave me a tutorial on removing background noise and compression.

I do voiceover as a hobby. Pretty simple stuff.

I have two questions...

First, I've tried to figure out how to edit inside a track. Many of you are familiar with Audacity, but what I was trying to reproduce inside Reaper was selecting part of a track, tapping delete, then watching what was after the selected area move all the way to where I deleted the samples.

Second, as a follow-on to the above, pasting something I copy from elsewhere would move to the right whatever was at my cursor before I pasted the item inside.

Looking over an editing video and reading the section on editing, I think that this isn't quite possible in Reaper and that I'm supposed to use an external editor for this or split pieces of tracks and use glue everywhere.

If that's the best practice, why do you use Reaper? Why not use the external editor for everything? I'm only asking because I'm trying to understand, not because I'm questioning YOUR choices.

I apologize if this comes off as prickly. I'm not trying to be prickly! :-)

Thanks!
ultramagnus_tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
JohnnyMusic

I believe what you want is what reaper calls "ripple editing".
There is a video on it in the List of video tutorials under "videos" on the home page, check it out! It is on the left under the "reaper explained "column. #21.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
serr

Ripple editing as JohnnyMusic said.

In general, don't assume there's anything missing from Reaper. There's no other editing app (dedicated app or general DAW app) that comes close to the editing feature set in Reaper as it turns out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramagnus_tcv View Post
Why not use the external editor for everything?
Reaper is simply the best "external editor" app you can find. It's also a full featured DAW. It's also a good choice for running live sound. It's just a great audio app in general and better at many things than others.

Some things might be different. Not all the actions in Reaper are in the default menus either. (Commands are called "actions".) There are hundreds. The SWS package adds hundreds more.

Last edited by serr; 11-11-2019 at 07:14 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
vdubreeze

Quote:
Why not use the external editor for everything? I'm only asking because I'm trying to understand, not because I'm questioning YOUR choices.
Welcome, ultramagnus_tcv One of the best reasons for chopping sections out in Reaper instead of a waveform editor is that after you have deleted it you can easily adjust the boundaries of the edit, and also change the crossfade, just by physically moving it. Sometimes it's easier to split the boundaries of the edit by putting the cursor down and hitting the s key at the ends of it, rather than highlighting the area and splitting the section off that way, but both work. One advantage of Reaper style editing over Audacity is that it's non-destructive, and anytime you hear a flaw in an edit you did 15 minutes ago you can always adjust it to fix. With Audacity you're limited to undoing, and if you undo up to that edit you'll lose everything you did since.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
ultramagnus_tcv

Okay! This is starting to make some sense to me. I can see how it'd work as a waveform editor in a sense by splitting, say and moving the track to chop out the part I don't want. And, yes, ripple editing does help me move stuff around.

I'll have to play with this more. I remember seeing a way to adjust the fade on tracks outside of the patterns they give you... I can't remember how to do that or where I saw it.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Okay! This is starting to make some sense to me. I can see how it'd work as a waveform editor in a sense by splitting, say and moving the track to chop out the part I don't want. And, yes, ripple editing does help me move stuff around.

I'll have to play with this more. I remember seeing a way to adjust the fade on tracks outside of the patterns they give you... I can't remember how to do that or where I saw it.
What is the scenario where you need a custom fade? To fade out the end of a song?
One way would be to use a volume envelope for that. You could make any shape you want using envelope points. I don't how fine the resolution is though, ie, how close together the points can be. There are some options on the shape of the envelope segment.

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 11-14-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
ultramagnus_tcv

I kind of forgot why I asked ... lol

I think I was playing around with the fades and couldn't figure out how to edit the curves. I don't think I have a specific need for it right now, though.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
I kind of forgot why I asked ... lol

I think I was playing around with the fades and couldn't figure out how to edit the curves. I don't think I have a specific need for it right now, though.
Ah, I see.
Well, assuming you don't know this:
On the end of an item where you can hover your mouse and it turns to a fade symbol, right click and 7 different fade shapes drop down and you can choose one. Between all those shapes and being able to change the length, they will work in just about any situation.

Again, A volume envelope on the master track would be a good way to fade an entire song and you can totally customize the fade by using multiple points and envelope segment shapes.

Have fun.