Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default Dither of reaper in rendering

the dither option is not selected in the reaper from the get go in the rendering menu

can you please explain why its not? i'm talking about the "dither master" checkbox in rendering menu

isn't it supposed to be a must? i don't understand dithering much, but basically i thought its something that must be done in general for better end result

and just watched a video that said basically we must always used dither when going down in bit rate...

Last edited by read; 11-11-2019 at 03:37 PM.
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
and just watched a video that said basically we must always used dither when going down in bit rate...
Bit depth* (from floating-point or 24-bits or 16-bit, etc.). That's theoretically true and it's good rule, but generally you can't hear dither (or the effects of dither) at 16-bits or better (in a proper-scientific blind ABX listening test).

Dither is VERY low-level noise. So usually you can't hear it and it's often masked by louder "analog" noise (if you recorded from a microphone or other analog source). And if you have analog noise it's already dithered.

I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over it. Focus on getting a good recording of a good performance, and then on stuff you CAN clearly hear like mixing and effects like EQ & reverb, etc.

* Bit rate (kbps = kilobits per second) is related to file size and it's often used as a rough indication of quality with lossy compression. (A 256kbps MP3 usually sounds better than a 64kbps MP3.)

Last edited by DVDdoug; 11-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
karbomusic

I thought it automatically checked the dither checkbox if the render bit rate was less than the project but could be wrong.