Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Larry Kriz
Human being with feelings

Default Actions

Is there a reference source for all the Actions options in Reaper? The options are overwhelming.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kriz View Post
Is there a reference source for all the Actions options in Reaper? The options are overwhelming.
The wiki seems officially dead https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213792 but still there is the Action reference available https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p...List_Reference But it has not been updated since Reaper v4.32.

Other than that, there's the User Guide https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Larry Kriz

Thanks Fabian - so... I guess... aside from some sporadic outdated info the answer is mostly no?

Maybe things become clearer the more you use the Actions list. Kenny's video on the subject makes it look so easy lolol

Perhaps one method is to select an option and use the run command? Does that make sense - as far as learning what each action does?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Thanks Fabian - so... I guess... aside from some sporadic outdated info the answer is mostly no?
Unfortunately, I think this is the case, yes.

Quote:
Perhaps one method is to select an option and use the run command? Does that make sense - as far as learning what each action does?
I almost always use actions that way (except for the few that I remember the key bindings of). I have the actions window docked (together with the mixer) on a second screen and I run most actions from there. Searching for a particular action is quick and allows partial input. However, the actions are not always named the most intuitively, and some actions that I considered related are named very differently. But eventually you get some hang of it; it took me like ten years

Last edited by Fabian; 11-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
Larry Kriz

wow ok thanks again Fabian
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
Judders

You're never going to learn, and more importantly remember, what every action does.

Different actions are useful for different workflows, so think of it more as an organic process - when you need to do something, you search the actions and watch tutorials, then if you find an action you use a lot you assign a shortcut or toolbar button.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
You're never going to learn, and more importantly remember, what every action does.

Different actions are useful for different workflows, so think of it more as an organic process - when you need to do something, you search the actions and watch tutorials, then if you find an action you use a lot you assign a shortcut or toolbar button.
One definitely needs to assign a shortcut or toolbar every time they find an action they will use, and then access it there. One failing of the actions list is that you can't (easily) simply delete all the actions you would never use. It's nice that one can "set take channel mode to (any stereo pair of channels up to 63/64", but do we really need to see 32 incremental versions of it taking up 32 lines in the list (and that's just for stereo), and then multiply that by numerous other examples. The search function is good, but if I search "set take" I'll still get all of those, and I'd rather never see them

Unless there's a script I missed that sorts actions so you don't have to always search the entire list to whittle to a subset?

Last edited by vdubreeze; 11-09-2019 at 05:28 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
ivansc

Good thought, vdubreeze