Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
worldwideweary
Human being with feelings

Default Notation Editor - Faster way to make sharps/flats

Hey,

In Reaper, [Action: Insert Note at nearest (A-G)] exists to place note, specifically here in reference to the notation editor, but I'm used to inserting [A-G] first and then "sharpening" or "flatting" the result by another shortcut. Here it seems there are twelve shortcut-actions to be used (i.e. A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#, etc.). Is there a fast way of sharpening/flattening a note after it has been placed?

I realize that there is the "Increase/Decrease pitch by 1 Semitone", but that isn't really what is desired due to potential change of flat and sharp. To illustrate:

Desired Behavior:
1) Insert D
2) Flatten selected note
Result: D-flat

As it stands, it looks like three actions would be required for this in Reaper:
1) Edit: Insert note at nearest D
2) Edit: Move notes down one semitone
3) Notation: Notate as Flat.

Am I missing something, or would I need to make a combination-action out of steps 2) and 3) to be able to do the desired behavior in two steps?

Thanks for any replies.
worldwideweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
bFooz

I use a custom action for what you described - move a semitone down and set flat accidental.

Reaper also looks at a key signature and decides if non-key notes should be flats or sharps if not specified. That's also why there is the "Accidentals in C-maj" option.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
worldwideweary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I use a custom action for what you described - move a semitone down and set flat accidental.

Reaper also looks at a key signature and decides if non-key notes should be flats or sharps if not specified. That's also why there is the "Accidentals in C-maj" option.
Yeah, looks like the +- semitone then [action: notate as flat/sharp] is the way to do it. Thanks for responding.
worldwideweary is offline   Reply With Quote