Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Tallisman
Human being with feelings

Default Noob FAQ

To keep newbies from yelling FAQ!

Hi folks and welcome to Reaper and this fine forum and community.

This thread is intended to be a stump remover. It is my hope that folks will post things that threw them for a loop. Thus may it become a resource for the new user.

Here is a start: Reaper's take on Tracks:

Looping, loopy loops...

- Loop Selection: a portion of the time-line that will be played over and over and over, so long as Repeat is enabled on the transport bar.
- Loop Item indent: Shows where an Item (audio of midi) loops - that is where it's source loops.
- Time-Selection: A segment of time in the arrange window that can be actioned. Any selected item within the Time-Selection will receive the edits.
-Region: a portion of the project that a user sections off. Many nifty region edits are available.

Plugins vs. VSTs
you will notice in your reaper directory the following folder (red arrow and box):

this is not where you should store your VST FX and instruments. This is where you should add things like Xenakios' ReaBase extension plug-in.

the red Square in the folder tree is my VSTplugins folder. In that I have a folder for FX and one for instruments.

once you have setup a folder for your VSTs (instruments and FX) then you need to open preferences and tell Reaper where you've put them:

Now if you don't want the default Steinberg VSTplugins path to pop up every time you want to install a new VST, then follow this link for a little application that will let you change and set your default VST folder:
http://asseca.com/setVSTpath/index.html

Virtual Instruments:
Once you have your VST Plugin folders properly configured, you may want to play a Virtual Instrument. Reaper does not store VSTis in a different location than all other VST effects. You can add the to any FX chain by clicking the FX button and plucking them from the list.

Or, you can right-click below the TCP and select Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track. I always do this the first time I use any virtual instrument. I then tweak the configuration and save it as a track template.

If you use the Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track command, the the resulting VSTi Track will be ready to rock.

If you add an instrument to an already existing track then you will need to manually configures some things:

MP3 support:
If you would like the ability to export to .mp3 then you need to download the lame.dll and store it in your reaper installation folder.

here are some links as of August 12.2008. Be sure to read the license agreements to ensure that you can legally download from these links - check for legality and patent claims in your country.

Or just google Lame.dll it really only takes about 2 minutes to be up and running.

http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm

more info and links:
http://lame.sourceforge.net/index.php

Selecting stuff
  • Point at and left-click on items to select them one at a time.
  • [Ctrl]+Left click to toggle the selection status of the clicked on item (add to or subtract target item from current selection.
  • [Shift]+Left click to add adjacent items to the selection
  • double click on the track control panel to select all item on any given track
  • right-click+drag = Marquee selection (make a box and select everything inside it.
  • [Alt]+right-click+drag = Marquee and Time selection (make a box and a time selection and select only those items touched by the box)
  • Toggle Marquee selection (make a box and toggle the selection status of touched items): right-click+drag... but before letting go of the right mouse button, add [Ctrl] - takes timing
  • there are many ways to select using key-commands

Discussion/acknowledgement please here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=98184

Last edited by Ollie; 03-04-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Split off discussion etc. to new thread
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Audio/MIDI Setup:

1.: "I have a delay when I hit a key on my keyboard or when listening to my guitar on headphones."

[Windows (all versions)]:

You are probably using your onboard sound card. It doesn't come with "low latency" (latency=delay) ASIO drivers to make audio processing as fast as possible. Many consumer sound cards and onboard chips run with ASIO4ALL, download it here:

http://www.asio4all.com/

After installing it, open REAPER and go Options->Preferences->Audio->Device to select 1. ASIO as your audio system and 2. ASIO4ALL as the ASIO driver:

Next you need to click the little ASIO4ALL system tray icon...

...and set the "ASIO Buffer size" to a value your system can handle, try 512 first and then reduce that until you get crackling noises etc., then go back a notch or two. Most systems can get 256-512 samples without artifacts, so try that as a starting point

If you are using a dedicated audio interface, you need to select the "native" ASIO driver of your interface instead.

[Windows (Vista and higher)]:

On Vista and Windows 7 you have also the option to use WASAPI instead of the ASIO driver model to achieve low latency.

[OSX]:

OSX allows for low latency with its onboard ("default system device") sound chip without extra drivers. Just go Options->Preferences->Audio->Device in REAPER and request a "Block Size" if you experience latency:

To be continued occasionally...
Attached Images
File Type: png Prefs_Audio_Device_ASIO4ALL.png (12.9 KB, 18807 views)
File Type: png ASIO4ALL_SYSTRAY.png (5.7 KB, 18736 views)
File Type: png ASIO4ALLCP.png (21.4 KB, 18568 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-03-04 at 1.02.26 PM.jpg (41.9 KB, 18918 views)

Last edited by Ollie; 03-05-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Closed Thread