Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
flatuswalrus
Human being with feelings

Default Individual Note Volume w/ ReaSamplomatic 5000

When using ReaSamplomatic 5000, I know you can set the volume of the sample in the plugin itself, but then when you change the velocity of an individual MIDI note on a track in the MIDI editor it does not seem to change it. I am guessing that is because the volume of the sample set in ReaSamplomatic 5000 overrides the MIDI editor velocity? Is that correct? If so, is there a way around this so one can humanize a track whilst using ReaSamplomatic 5000? Thank you.
flatuswalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
JohnnyMusic

there is a js velocity and timing humanizer plug, not sure how it will interact with Rsk5000 though.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
there is a js velocity and timing humanizer plug, not sure how it will interact with Rsk5000 though.
I have set/made humanizer changes in the MIDI editor by pressing 'H' to bring up the Note Humanizer which had no effect but I have not tried the JS plugin you mentioned as I did not know there was one. I will give it a go and let you know.

Also, in the MIDI editor's event list if there is a volume parameter set does anyone know if this might override any humanizer settings?

EDIT: The JS Velocity and Timing Humanizer plugin did not affect the velocity on the track with ReaSamplomatic 5000.

Last edited by flatuswalrus; 11-09-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
nait

Give this a shot:

On your reasam instance, look for min vol and drag that all the way down to -inf. You can put it something else, but this should make it exaggerated enough for you to hear velocity changes now, if I understood you correctly!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Give this a shot:

On your reasam instance, look for min vol and drag that all the way down to -inf. You can put it something else, but this should make it exaggerated enough for you to hear velocity changes now, if I understood you correctly!
Silly I did not try that, but unfortunately, it did not work. I changed the Volume and Min Volume to Inf both separately and together but then there was no volume at all, thank you for the idea though.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatuswalrus View Post
Silly I did not try that, but unfortunately, it did not work. I changed the Volume and Min Volume to Inf both separately and together but then there was no volume at all, thank you for the idea though.
Weird, that should do it. I wonder if there was another setting you maybe changed that broke things. Later today I'll let you know all my settings in ReaSam, but that one definitely is the only one I change to make samples I use velocity sensitive. "Volume" wont make it be velocity sensitive. That just is the volume the sample plays at 100% velocity.

The other thing I'm guessing is you probably changed the Velocity min/max, thinking (logically!) that this would do what you want. Set that back to 0 / 100 (or whatever default is) and try again. I can't remember but I think this just controls whether a note sounds or not based on the velocity.

Maybe try doing this with a brand new instance of ReaSam.. don't change anything, just drop your sample in, and adjust the min volume to -inf and see if that works, then figure out what other settings may have caused an issue.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #7
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Weird, that should do it. I wonder if there was another setting you maybe changed that broke things. Later today I'll let you know all my settings in ReaSam, but that one definitely is the only one I change to make samples I use velocity sensitive. "Volume" wont make it be velocity sensitive. That just is the volume the sample plays at 100% velocity.

The other thing I'm guessing is you probably changed the Velocity min/max, thinking (logically!) that this would do what you want. Set that back to 0 / 100 (or whatever default is) and try again. I can't remember but I think this just controls whether a note sounds or not based on the velocity.

Maybe try doing this with a brand new instance of ReaSam.. don't change anything, just drop your sample in, and adjust the min volume to -inf and see if that works, then figure out what other settings may have caused an issue.
Here is a screenshot of my ReaSamplomatic 5000: https://flic.kr/p/2hJfE83

The velocity min/max goes from 0 to 127 which is the default, they do not have the option to be put on inf. Maybe something on that screenshot stands out that I am not aware of? Thank you for trying to help me with this.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
akademie

Quote:
Here is a screenshot of my ReaSamplomatic 5000: https://flic.kr/p/2hJfE83

The velocity min/max goes from 0 to 127 which is the default, they do not have the option to be put on inf. Maybe something on that screenshot stands out that I am not aware of? Thank you for trying to help me with this.
Hi flatuswalrus,
velocity knobs are OK. BUT what was suggested here by nait is to set the knob marked as "Min.vol." to -inf (that one on the left from "Velocity minimum" knob).
That way you specify how much impact has the input velocity to volume of sample. By default all incoming MIDI velocities play the sample at maximum level (=0.0dB value of the knob).

Last edited by akademie; 11-11-2019 at 05:12 AM. Reason: adding info
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #9
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi flatuswalrus,
velocity knobs are OK. BUT what was suggested here by nait is to set the knob marked as "Min.vol." to -inf (that one on the left from "Velocity minimum" knob).
That way you specify how much impact has the input velocity to volume of sample. By default all incoming MIDI velocities play the sample at maximum level (=0.0dB value of the knob).
Howdy, I did previously try that and it did not work. I just tried it again. I set the min-vol to -inf and then dramatically changed the velocity in the MIDI editor to test it: https://flic.kr/p/2hJgjB2

It still plays at the exact same velocity I am afraid.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
akademie

Quote:
Howdy, I did previously try that and it did not work. I just tried it again. I set the min-vol to -inf and then dramatically changed the velocity in the MIDI editor to test it: https://flic.kr/p/2hJgjB2

It still plays at the exact same velocity I am afraid.
Well, do believe me, it works.

Take your time and:
1) Make a new blank project.
2) Add a track and insert new midi item. Edit the item = eg. insert 4 quarter notes, each with different velocity, and I mean very different (let's say 127, 60, 20, 3) just for test purpose.
3) Duplicate this track.
4) Insert ReaSynth VSTi on Track 1.
5) Insert ReaSamplomatic5000 VSTi on Track 2 (and load some sample in it).
6) Solo track 1 only and hit Play = ReaSynth should play with decreasing velocity/volume.
7) Now solo only track 2 and hit Play = ReaSamplomatic should play, but with steady, static velocity.
8) Tweak that "Min.vol." knob to -inf to hear how velocity does start to affect the volume of sample.

Hope you will get it working.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:23 AM   #11
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Well, do believe me, it works.

Take your time and:
1) Make a new blank project.
2) Add a track and insert new midi item. Edit the item = eg. insert 4 quarter notes, each with different velocity, and I mean very different (let's say 127, 60, 20, 3) just for test purpose.
3) Duplicate this track.
4) Insert ReaSynth VSTi on Track 1.
5) Insert ReaSamplomatic5000 VSTi on Track 2 (and load some sample in it).
6) Solo track 1 only and hit Play = ReaSynth should play with decreasing velocity/volume.
7) Now solo only track 2 and hit Play = ReaSamplomatic should play, but with steady, static velocity.
8) Tweak that "Min.vol." knob to -inf to hear how velocity does start to affect the volume of sample.

Hope you will get it working.
Thank you for your test recommendation. I followed your instructions and ReaSamplomatic5000 did play the given sample which reacted correctly to the velocity changes in the MIDI editor.

I then opened one of my projects that I am working on and the velocity will not change. So there is obviously some setting that is stopping it from doing so in all of my projects. I had your test opened in Reaper with one of my projects. I toggled back and forth between them checking every setting in ReaSamplomatic5000 and unless I am blind everything was set the same. I guess I have the big task now of fault-finding everything or transferring all my projects to a new template. Thank you very much for your help thus far, I appreciate it. I will report back if I have any progress.

EDIT: I found out what the issue was and I do not think I would have thought to check if not for your suggestion making me think more about everything. All of the songs I am writing I am using the same drum-kit that I put together from samples that I found and liked. These samples are all together in their own separate folder called (Drum Template). In that folder is a project template .rpp file that I open when starting a new song so I have my drums all ready to go. Even though all my songs had the "Min.vol." knob set to -inf they were set to 0.00dB in the drum template folder. So, I am guessing my songs, which are also in their own folders, were set to -inf it was being messed with or overridden by the drum template folder were the actual .wav files etc are. Once I set them to -inf also everything reacts to velocity now.

Thank you once again!

Last edited by flatuswalrus; 11-15-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #12
akademie

Hi flatuswalrus,
I am glad to hear that you have sorted your velocity issues.

Sometime it is not easy to find out the problem when complex routing is involved etc. and you are seeing it from inside, it then needs impulse from outside to get you think about it in different way. And that's what this forum is great about.

Happy reaping ;-)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:11 AM   #13
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Sometimes it is not easy to find out the problem when complex routing is involved etc. and you are seeing it from inside, it then needs impulse from outside to get you think about it in different way. And that's what this forum is great about.
You are so right about that. This forum has been extremely helpful and I reckon I have definitely learned more here than anywhere else.
Quote:
Happy reaping ;-)
I am glad you put an 'e' on that