Old 10-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Featherfoot
Human being with feelings

Default More crashes

Ok. Posted a reply to someone having random crashes but now I've had some more. The latest being trying to load Softube Saturation plugin but it crashes everytime. I'm really liking Reaper but I've had a lot of crashes. I don't have this problem in Cubase. I'm still 'evaluating' and would like to purchase the program but this amount of crashing is putting me off. Anyone ?
Featherfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:02 AM   #2
ivansc

O.K. your problem is FAR from typical, as Reaper in general copes with plugin conflicts rather better than the majority of other DAWs, so it`s time to start looking at what is actually happening. First thing to do is post a crash log report when Reaper crashes next time, which will help to identify the problem.

This could be as silly as 32bit plug in 64bit reaper, although reaper generally handles that sort of thing fine via its built-in bridging software. To help us help you, what OS are you on & what Audio/MIDI interface are you using?

One other thought: I use softube plugs ( not the saturator) but haven't had similar issues. A sign that maybe the actual plugin isn't the root cause at all.
Oh - I assume you are using the plugin in a regular track & not putting it on the Master bus?

EDIT: Strange coincidence: I had forgotten it was a softube product, but I have recently had issues with my Softube Tsar1-r licence showing up as unauthorised, even with my iLok plugged in, but it is still working. Their support is excellent & they will undoubtedly offer help if this is the only plugin that causes reaper to misbehave like this.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Edgemeal

You should report the crash in the Bug Report forum and include any crash logs you can provide.

FWIW, I don't use the plugin, but (not surprisingly) I have it since its free , so gave it try and Softube Saturation Knob crashed REAPER v5.984 on Windows 10 after a couple minutes, and it was the only plugin loaded.

Here is the dmp (mini dump) file. in case the devs want to see why it crashed.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Featherfoot

Default And even more crashing. This is insane

Firstly, thanks for the replies. Soft Tube Sat plug aside, I am now having regular crashes on trying to load Reaper, and when (if I've managed to load it) I want to just close the project, it shuts the whole thing down. This is crazy. I haven't been able to do anything constructive the whole time I've been using it. Or trying to use it. I left it for several minutes to attend to something else and when I came back, guess what? Yeah. I've been using Cubase, and Pro Tools on my latest build PC with absolutely no issues, so what's going on with Reaper ? Like I said, I really want to use this program but at the moment, it's totally unusable. Any ideas ?
Old 11-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Featherfoot

Default Reaper crash reports

OK, so I have nailed most of the crashes down to Steinberg Groove Agent 4 in Windows Event Viewer. These account for most of the errors. There is a different report not concerning Groove Agent. On trying to attach my saved reports via the attachments I'm getting an 'invalid ext.' error message. The extensions on my reports are .evtx: and this is not supported under manage attachments. Having never had to upload crash reports before I am unfamiliar with all this. I should also mention that I did a completely new clean installation of Reaper today to see if that solved my problems but to no avail. HELLLLLLP !!!
Old 11-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Fabian

Here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 is a write up about finding and posting crash dumps and reporting bugs in general.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Featherfoot

Default re more crashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
O.K. your problem is FAR from typical, as Reaper in general copes with plugin conflicts rather better than the majority of other DAWs, so it`s time to start looking at what is actually happening. First thing to do is post a crash log report when Reaper crashes next time, which will help to identify the problem.

This could be as silly as 32bit plug in 64bit reaper, although reaper generally handles that sort of thing fine via its built-in bridging software. To help us help you, what OS are you on & what Audio/MIDI interface are you using?

One other thought: I use softube plugs ( not the saturator) but haven't had similar issues. A sign that maybe the actual plugin isn't the root cause at all.
Oh - I assume you are using the plugin in a regular track & not putting it on the Master bus?

EDIT: Strange coincidence: I had forgotten it was a softube product, but I have recently had issues with my Softube Tsar1-r licence showing up as unauthorised, even with my iLok plugged in, but it is still working. Their support is excellent & they will undoubtedly offer help if this is the only plugin that causes reaper to misbehave like this.
Scanlon old chap, how are you ? didn't think I'd bump into you here !
Old 11-09-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherfoot View Post
Scanlon old chap, how are you ? didn't think I'd bump into you here !
OK PM me who you really are!