Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
ehutch79
Human being with feelings

Default quick question

i know this isnt really reaper related, but you all seem pretty on top of things here.

My old box is dying, got a new laptop on the way. the problem is the hard disk in it will be small and slow. everything else blows away my old athalon 2000+ box.

I've enver been a fan of recording straight to system disk anyway. so the fact that theres a built in sd card reader got me thinking. can i record straight to sd card?

i use a multimix firewire 8 to record. and i've only once done 8 tracks at once, usually more like 6 or 7, drums and a scratch guitar track maybe. i know the cards write speed tops out at what 25mb/s(?) is this enough for demo projects?

I cant wait to try out reaper, i always loved editing video in vegas and just the screenshots alone give me the warm fuzzies
ehutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
Fausto

Hi, bro.... I used to think like you do.... until I tested recording straight to my 5400 sata laptop HD...16 tracks 24/44.1 and I never had a problem (been doing for a while). You can also try a firewire/usb enclosure or an ext. HD...

:-)

F.
Fausto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
RedStone

Recording to an SD card will likely be way slower than the hard drive

The 5400rmp hard drive is still faster than the some 4200rpm drives that comes in, or at least used to come in laptops