Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-12-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
earlybird
Human being with feelings

Default Any recommendations for interface for Windows Vista (32 bit)

Hi,

I've tried getting my old Mbox 2 to work with an eMachines E525 laptop running Windows Vista and Reaper, but had no joy. I'm now looking at getting a new audio interface to use with Reaper. Any recommendations for an interface that would work with this laptop would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for two inputs - mostly recording vocals and guitar. Many thanks.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
ivansc

I just had a look at the spec of your computer & the details of your existing interface.
To be blunt, you are at the bare limit of what is usable with Reaper already & it might be worth seriously considering using Linux if you cant afford to upgrade your OS.
It certainly does seem like your Mbox 2 is past its sell-by date for most operating systems, but there is a possibility that there is a driver out there that will make it run OK in Linux.
Just checked and the last update you could use is for win 7 so looks like you are S.O.L.
Shame.

Failing that, you might be better off putting your money into a better spec used computer.
For example I have a core 2 duo powered laptop sitting here doing nothing that, if I sold it, would go for about £30-40 and way out-power your existing computer. AND it is running the current version of Win10.
Add a cheap modern interface & you would have a newer, but still not-that-great-for-music system.
Plenty of decent used lappies and indeed desktops out there for pocket money prices.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
earlybird

Thanks. I really appreciate your response. Will look at a second-hand laptop or desktop and go from there. Cheers.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
ivansc

If you can score a
Computer that still has win7 on it, you might still to be able to use the MBOX for a while longer, too.
Failing that there are some pretty decent interfaces out there for less than 100 UK pounds or equivalent. Good luck!