Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
Wavelength
Human being with feelings

Default How to think like a drummer - Composing a drum track ?

Hi All,

I am a guitarist and have studied much music theory for decades including rhythms however, composing a drum pattern in the FX plugin titled, "JS: MIDI Sequencer Megababy" can be challenging in that I prefer to program/compose my rhythms so they sound realistic and professional.

Short of the obvious and simple answer ... "well just take drum lessons", :-) is there a website that explains how to compose/program drum patterns in the FX plugin titled, "JS: MIDI Sequencer Megababy"? I clearly understand rhythm and know how to navigate the Megababy plugin and set it all-up. I learned this set-up by viewing Kenny Gioia's great video titled, "First Drum Beat in Reaper - Sequencer". Please see url below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFcRF-D9Sk&t=175s

However I'm looking for a percussive tutorial, pdf or website that explains how to utilize the approach to drumming in a compositional aspect using all parts of the drums (kick, snare, hi-hat, toms, ride etc.) Example ... Using a 4/4 time signature, the Kick drum is typically played on the downbeat on beats 1 and 3. The snare is typically played on beats 2 and 4 etc. etc. This is a rudimentary example but I hope I explained myself clearly. Currently searching and will post my results as well. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-27-2020 at 05:23 AM.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Glennbo

Somewhat dated, but all the concepts hold true today, and from one of the greatest drummers to walk the planet and is on more albums than probably anyone else.

I had this album when I was just getting started playing drums about the same time it came out, and his breaking down basic straight and shuffle grooves on drums gave me the foundation to expand on.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
Judders

Guitarist here. I did it by thinking "I want a drum part that sounds like this song", then transcribing that drum part by ear. After a while you get a feel for it and can come up with your own. Air drumming helps too.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
ernzo

Setting the basic groove with Bass Drum, Snare and Tom Decorations should be a simple thing depending on the music style you're working on.

However it's in the Details/decorations where real drummers set the difference.
It would be hard to explain, and every drummer has his personal style..

But they tend to put a lot of detail in the Hi-Hat and Cymbals,
placing Lots of Hits and "Ghost" hits to help sustain the whole thing and make it more real..

As in everything practice/experience help a good deal, and as they say makes it perfect..

But as a starting point I would suggest using a good software that includes a variety of pre-made MIDI loops/examples for you to use in your tracks.

For instance Addictive Drums have a massive library of grooves/fills in many styles and time signatures,
which you can adapt with the program itself, or just edit yourself to better suit the piece you're working on.

I normally work on Orchestral music so I do everything myself,
with basically Snare, Hi-Hat and Cymbals.. the rest tends to be Orchestral and Ethnic type percussion.

But whenever I work on Rock/electro tracks I always start structuring the whole thing with Addictive Drums loops,
and then adjust every single part/hit to better adapt/accommodate to the track I'm working on.

And that would be my suggestion for a good starting point.

Other programs like BFD2 also include loops, but as good as they are,
I always found the Addictive stuff to be more fitting and readily usable for me.
(except one time I was working on a Country/Western Waltz track where BFD2 had a better example)

I don't have any experience with Superior Drummer, Slate Drums or other software,
but I guess they may have similar systems of comparable quality..

Maybe other users can chime in about that.

But I would still give a good look to Addictive Drums 2, as it's very readily usable,
and has a very Good/convincing sound even tho is a lightweight library.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Crashwaggon

As a drummer, this is a bit of a can of worms thing for me..

The easy version:
Start with kick and snare and fill in the rest. Hihat and ride in either quarter notes or 8ths will fit most situations. Crashes and toms where there's room.

Make sure to spend the required time sorting out the different velocity levels as well as varying different articulations - this is CRUCIAL for hihat and snare in particular.

Some good tips....
Never use 127 velocities EVER. No drummer on the planet plays that hard.
Instead, use slow attack compression and transient shaping while mixing.
127 velocities will give you the "machine gun" effect guaranteed. And sounds like shit.

The hardest hits between 100-110 - and never the same velocity on 2 adjacent hits - especially on hihats!

A drummer never plays more than 3 things at the same time. It's physically impossible.

If you can program in some ghost notes on the snare (depending on genre), it will help your drums sound more natural.

Fwiw I just did a video on midi editing a drum track converted from a real drum performance, there might be some tips there you could find useful.

Not so much composing a track, but more editing it so it sounds believable.

https://youtu.be/WYlsiHeXo1c
Crashwaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
richie43

I will be the unpopular guy....Ha ha

I am a stickler for staying original, but when it comes to drums, I decided years ago to use a drum software that comes with midi loops (and many to be found all over the internet, very affordable), then spend the time I would have spent starting from scratch on editing the midi loops to what I want. I even inject mistakes, "humanize" them. With good sounding software, I have fooled many drummers with my results. It helps that the midi provided were not programmed with a mouse to begin with, they were played by a human.
I use Addictive Drums, but there are many others that people use.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashwaggon View Post
Fwiw I just did a video on midi editing a drum track converted from a real drum performance, there might be some tips there you could find useful.

This is what I am talking about. Great video, by the way
Old 05-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
Crashwaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
This is what I am talking about. Great video, by the way
Thanks! Hopefully I can help a few out.
I've been playing drums for over 30 years, and at the same time I often have to do a fair bit of programming. I like sharing what I've learned over the years.

Quite often do the odd Reaper video as well, sometimes I do stumble across something that Kenny or Jon hasn't covered in depth.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Somewhat dated, but all the concepts hold true today, and from one of the greatest drummers to walk the planet and is on more albums than probably anyone else.

I had this album when I was just getting started playing drums about the same time it came out, and his breaking down basic straight and shuffle grooves on drums gave me the foundation to expand on.

Thanks Glennbo! Had to go directly to youtube to watch the video. It wouldn't load in this forum. Watching the video now. Here is the youtube link:

https://youtu.be/mXAkD1djxqo
Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Thanks Glennbo! Had to go directly to youtube to watch the video. It wouldn't load in this forum. Watching the video now. Here is the youtube link:

https://youtu.be/mXAkD1djxqo
Yeah I noticed after posting that the copyright holder only allows viewing directly from YouTube. Hal Blaine is a drummer's drummer. He's on so many hit songs it's unreal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...aine_played_on

Even though that record is kinda lame listening to it today, what he preaches is the gospel. The drummer is a supporting musician unless it's a spotlight drum solo. Otherwise the drums should be providing a strong supporting backup for the other music happening.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:02 AM   #11
hardplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Hi All,

I am a guitarist and have studied much music theory including rhythms however working in the "MIDI Sequencer Megababy" is challenging in that I prefer to compose my rhythms so they sound realistic and professional (as far as composition).

Is there a website that explains how to compose drum patterns? Perhaps a website on "how to play the drums"? Thank you.
As a drummer that has been playing for +40 years the biggest advice i can give you is to NOT OVER PLAY, the biggest mistake that most non drummers (even some "REAL" drummers) make is complicating songs with silly fancy fills and improbable patterns.
Remember ,SIMPLE and LESS is better !! FEEL is paramount !!
Old 05-16-2020, 02:45 AM   #12
squibs

I use jamstix, a seemingly little known vst. It's a complex little beast and can be used in many ways - e.g.

Select a style (rock, reggae, etc) select a drummer if you wish (imparts the feel of that drummer on the part) Generate a song from intro, verse, chorus parts. Tweak those parts (eg adjust double kick percentage chance). Add an accent, tweak fills and when they happen.
Alternatively, program a midi pattern and import it, have the brain add a drummer feel, accents and fills.
Use the power slider to change velocity, switch to side stick on quieter passages
Use swing, differnt time signatures.

It can use its built in kits or send midi out.

Been a fan since version 1 which must be heading for 20 years old!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #13
ivansc

(grin) It really helps if you are a bass player!

But yes it is all about less is more and overall FEEL.

The groove is always the hardest thing to get if you aren`t a drummer.

even as a bass player who is very groove oriented, I sometimes struggle getting it how it should be. A second piece of advice would be to get really friendly with a good drummer & pick his brains.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
Mind Riot

Quote:
A drummer never plays more than 3 things at the same time. It's physically impossible.
Unless one is in the habit of using one's left foot to splash the hihats when keeping time on other parts of the set.

I occasionally also keep time by bashing my head against a cowbell.

Last edited by Mind Riot; 05-20-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
Unless one is in the habit of using one's left foot to splash the hihats when keeping time on other parts of the set.
I've been using quarter note footsplashes on my hihat since the 70s. It really fills out the groove having those under an eighth note ride. Works on my V-Drums with Superior Drummer 2 as well.

Quote:
More of that!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 AM   #16
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The drummer is a supporting musician unless it's a spotlight drum solo. Otherwise the drums should be providing a strong supporting backup for the other music happening.
What?! All that vocal and guitar stuff is only there to highlight the drummer's rhythm and general coolness. Those other guys with their fancy chords and sing-y stuff, meh.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #17
Crashwaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post

Hey now, I was trying to keep this thing fairly simple for the guy.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
Wavelength

Quote:
As a drummer, this is a bit of a can of worms thing for me..

The easy version:
Start with kick and snare and fill in the rest. Hihat and ride in either quarter notes or 8ths will fit most situations. Crashes and toms where there's room.

Make sure to spend the required time sorting out the different velocity levels as well as varying different articulations - this is CRUCIAL for hihat and snare in particular.

Some good tips....
Never use 127 velocities EVER. No drummer on the planet plays that hard.
Instead, use slow attack compression and transient shaping while mixing.
127 velocities will give you the "machine gun" effect guaranteed. And sounds like shit.

The hardest hits between 100-110 - and never the same velocity on 2 adjacent hits - especially on hihats!

If you can program in some ghost notes on the snare (depending on genre), it will help your drums sound more natural.

Appreciate the detailed help Crashwagon. Lot's of really good tips! Excellent!
Old 05-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibs View Post
I use jamstix, a seemingly little known vst. It's a complex little beast and can be used in many ways - e.g.

Select a style (rock, reggae, etc) select a drummer if you wish (imparts the feel of that drummer on the part) Generate a song from intro, verse, chorus parts. Tweak those parts (eg adjust double kick percentage chance). Add an accent, tweak fills and when they happen.
Alternatively, program a midi pattern and import it, have the brain add a drummer feel, accents and fills.
Use the power slider to change velocity, switch to side stick on quieter passages

Thank you Squibs! Some unfamiliar technical words here (i.e. adjust double kick percentage chance ??) but I get your point. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #20
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post
Setting the basic groove with Bass Drum, Snare and Tom Decorations should be a simple thing depending on the music style you're working on.

placing Lots of Hits and "Ghost" hits to help sustain the whole thing and make it more real..

As in everything practice/experience help a good deal, and as they say makes it perfect..

But as a starting point I would suggest using a good software that includes a variety of pre-made MIDI loops/examples for you to use in your tracks.

For instance Addictive Drums have a massive library of grooves/fills in many styles and time signatures,
which you can adapt with the program itself, or just edit yourself to better suit the piece you're working on.

with basically Snare, Hi-Hat and Cymbals.. the rest tends to be Orchestral and Ethnic type percussion.

But whenever I work on Rock/electro tracks I always start structuring the whole thing with Addictive Drums loops,
and then adjust every single part/hit to better adapt/accommodate to the track I'm working on.

I always found the Addictive stuff to be more fitting and readily usable for me.
(except one time I was working on a Country/Western Waltz track where BFD2 had a better example)

I don't have any experience with Superior Drummer, Slate Drums or other software,

But I would still give a good look to Addictive Drums 2, as it's very readily usable,

Thanks Ernzo! Tons of great advice. Can you recommend a more affordable software for midi loops? Trying to compose drum patters on a budget. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #21
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

@Crashwaggon. Brilliant post and video. Very insightful.

Last edited by Bjorn.LaSanche; 05-21-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #22
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

The groove is always the hardest thing to get if you aren`t a drummer.
This.

When programming drums manually in the midi editor the easy thing to do is to insert every hit exactly in the grid. That will sound as artificial as leaving every note velocity equal. You will need to vary the timing of the hits, slowing some beats, speeding others, finding a groove that sounds natural and enhancing the musicality of the song.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #23
shanabit

1. Quantize to percentage and never 100%

2. Randomize the velocity in a range but stay away from 127 (MAX)

3. Break down your programming into song parts and just work on that section till its done. Intro, Verse, Chorus etc. Approach it like programming a drum machine.

4. Remember, a drummer has 4 limbs so don't try and play 15 parts at the same time or parts that a drummer cant physically do like a snare and two crash cymbals at the same time for example
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #24
vChip

To me, as a drummer there are certain things that stand out when I hear programmed midi drumming. Even when the creator tries to cover it up. Randomize isn't quite good enough. There is a flow to what a real drummer is playing. We drift off the grid, a good drummer is not sporadically off the grid. Meaning rushing on one measure and dragging the next. It subtly sways with intensity of the song.

Also, dynamics is our greatest tool for creating feel in a song. Ghost notes should be relatively consistent and like timing, velocity will sway and not be completely sporadic.

As others have pointed out, drummers only have 4 limbs so pay attention to what each limb is actually doing. You would rarely crash and continue a HH pattern going on the same beat. I would recommend visualizing your kit and what each limb is playing. You may take your right hand off the hat to hit the left crash, etc.

To think like a drummer is to complement the song and control the feel of the song without stepping on anything else, especially the vocals. Your main job is to lock in with the bass player and get those bodies moving on the dance floor!

Last edited by vChip; 05-21-2020 at 04:18 PM.
vChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #25
Mind Riot

Quote:
Hey now, I was trying to keep this thing fairly simple for the guy.
Sorry, I may have been hitting the cowbell a little too hard that day.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:08 AM   #26
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vChip View Post
Meaning rushing on one measure and dragging the next. It subtly sways with intensity of the song.
Hence the origins of the phrase "Russian Dragon" . No, really!!

Last edited by ivansc; 05-24-2020 at 10:35 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #27
androo

These are excellent recommendations. I'll add a couple specifics that have helped me: notated drum patterns of different styles (e.g., The Drummer's Bible ISBN-13: 978-1937276195 I found helpful but not deep), and DRUM! magazine has tutorial videos for drummers that gave me good insights into the styles that my programming was completely lacking.
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #28
mek42

Buy a pair of sticks and a Home Depot bucket. Annoy the neighbors. Play around not just 4/4.

About changing the velocity, this isn't a kit, but I always enjoy listening to the drumming on Chase Manhattan's "Original 2 Step". https://youtu.be/mTGlJxxkT88

If you want to model a still-learning drummer, replace a snare or tom with a rimshot every 10 - 20 hits. :blush:
mek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #29
mixer

Quote:
Hence the origins of the phrase "Russian Dragon" . No, rfeally!!
ivansc, maybe you're referencing this:

https://reverb.com/item/3536970-rare...racy-indicator

from back in the day?

Check out the images.

As the description says:

"The simple display would point one way if you were rushin' and point the other way if you were draggin'... They were extremely accurate, and drummers hated them."

Never used one, but always thought they looked cool. More blinky lights to impress onlookers!
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:52 AM   #30
SonicAxiom

I'm using this technique to improve authenticity by taming the velocities of MIDI drum patterns in realtime:

Old 05-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #31
Reason

MT power drum kit is free, easy to use, and comes with a good number of patterns, which were played by a human. It also lets you use other drum sounds. You have to click OK on it each time you open your project unless you donate.

I have Jamstix too, and I like it, but I wouldn't recommend starting with it since you're on a budget.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #32
ivansc

@Mixer: The funny thing is, my first ever experience with MIDI drums was when I lived & worked in Nashville.
The band that I was in at the time didn`t use a drummer (wayyy back in the mid 1980s!!!) and we were fortunate enough to get some MIDI drum tracks played into an Alesis sequencer & saved onto one of the earliest disk drives for MIDI by the late Larry Landin - one of Nashville`s finest drummers ever.

I learnt more about how rushin` and draggin` could either help (Larry`s) or hinder (my puny efforts in learning from his MIDI drums) than I could ever believe from looking at HOW Larry moved stuff around within a grid.
Every good drummer I have ever worked with, or in Levon Helm, etc,`s cases, worshipped from afar, taught me new things about HOW to influence a groove without losing the pocket.
Add a really great bass player to the mix and you have a groove that floats like a butterfly yet stings like a bee AND will still rock your socks off.

Problem is getting that over to todays players who have been educated to think playing like a metronome gives a piece a great groove.

You can slide back & forth but still stay in the pocket once you know how. But I was fascinated by the blurb on that machine! Never seen one before.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #33
ivansc

Just decided I couldn`t resist adding a little to the legend of the Beat Poets, my band in Nashville. By the end of the eighties we had a pretty good local following in Nashville & Mid-Tennessee in general, so for live gigs we had a drummer onstage with a full kit who just added percussion hits to the MIDI drums. "Beatnik John" came onstage with us one night with a silly grin on his face. "Here I am pretending to be a drummer tonight & not really playing and last night I was playing drums for Ella Fitzgerald. I even got to escort her onstage!"

Memories of stuff like that make up for all the crappy gigs over the years.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #34
pandabot

I recommend this one, it's a quick read: https://www.amazon.com/Drum-Programm.../dp/0931759544

You can also transcribe songs, I transcribed the Strokes first album to better understand the boundaries and the drum patterns follow standard rock conventions for the most part.

edit: You can also put this before your drum sampler plugin for instant humanization, the default settings should be fine

Last edited by pandabot; 05-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #35
Wavelength

Quote:
@Mixer: The funny thing is, my first ever experience with MIDI drums was when I lived & worked in Nashville.
The band that I was in at the time didn`t use a drummer (wayyy back in the mid 1980s!!!) and we were fortunate enough to get some MIDI drum tracks played into an Alesis sequencer & saved onto one of the earliest disk drives for MIDI by the late Larry Landin - one of Nashville`s finest drummers ever.

I learnt more about how rushin` and draggin` could either help (Larry`s) or hinder (my puny efforts in learning from his MIDI drums) than I could ever believe from looking at HOW Larry moved stuff around within a grid.
Every good drummer I have ever worked with, or in Levon Helm, etc,`s cases, worshipped from afar, taught me new things about HOW to influence a groove without losing the pocket.
Add a really great bass player to the mix and you have a groove that floats like a butterfly yet stings like a bee AND will still rock your socks off.

Problem is getting that over to todays players who have been educated to think playing like a metronome gives a piece a great groove.

You can slide back & forth but still stay in the pocket once you know how. But I was fascinated by the blurb on that machine! Never seen one before.
Ivansc, thanks for sharing those wonderful insights and memories!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #36
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
MT power drum kit is free, easy to use, and comes with a good number of patterns, which were played by a human. It also lets you use other drum sounds. You have to click OK on it each time you open your project unless you donate.

I have Jamstix too, and I like it, but I wouldn't recommend starting with it since you're on a budget.
Thanks Reason. Yes I downloaded MT Power Drum Kit. Thank you
Old 05-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #37
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
Buy a pair of sticks and a Home Depot bucket. Annoy the neighbors. Play around not just 4/4.

About changing the velocity, this isn't a kit, but I always enjoy listening to the drumming on Chase Manhattan's "Original 2 Step". https://youtu.be/mTGlJxxkT88

If you want to model a still-learning drummer, replace a snare or tom with a rimshot every 10 - 20 hits. :blush:
mek42, thanks for the advice. I do own a snare drum and a drum pad as well. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #38
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post

Well said ernzo! Thank you for all the helpful advice! Watched Kenny Gioia's video, "First Drum Beat in Reaper - Sequencer". URL below:

A great starting point. Will definitely explore your kind advice! Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #39
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibs View Post

Thank you squibs! Can you please supply me the exact name of the jamstix vst plugin that you are recommending? I went to Reaper stash and searched. The results showed many different jamstix files. Thank you kindly!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #40
Wavelength

Some helpful links I located and/or were suggested by helpful forum members to better clarify my initial post #1. Some aspects are very rudimentary but answer some missing gaps in learning to program drums. Good stuff! I'll be adding to this list.

Websites:

1) Drum Magazine - Drum Notation Guide
https://drummagazine.com/drum-notation-guide/

2) Drum Notation Guide: How To Read & Write Drum Sheet Music
https://beatsure.com/drum-sheet-music/

3) Drum Sheet Music: How To Read & Write It (Including Drum Key)
https://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com/drum-sheet-music/

4) Creating Drums in Reaper – Sequencer Megababy (by Untidy Music)
http://untidymusic.com/reaper-tutori...encer-megababy

Tools:

1) Bounce Metronome - Incredible metronome software (Windows) that features a clockface layout as well as complex time signatures.
https://bouncemetronome.com/video-resources

2) SM Drums - Deeply Sampled Free Drums for the Masses
https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-reaper

3) SM MegaReaper Drumkit - Version for Reaper (warning: 1.9 GB download size - Read "SM Drums" home page description)
Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u1u...ew?usp=sharing

4) SM MegaReaper DrumKit User Manual
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxI...YtbVZ5Vms/view

Videos:

1) First Drum Beat in Reaper - Sequencer (by Kenny Gioia)

2) What is the Pocket?!? (what is "playing in the pocket")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Jm3TVVcxg

3) Hal Blaine - Have fun!!! Let's play drums!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXAkD1djxqo

4) Drum Pocket Basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYf1orM6z_Q

5) How to Program Drum Grooves (Rick Beato)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23qiThX93bE

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-27-2020 at 05:58 PM.