Old 09-16-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
SciFiArtMan
Human being with feelings

Default How to Permanently Remove Scroll Handle Zoom Option?

I really NEED to remove the ZOOM option from the Horizontal Scrollbar Handle edges in the main edit window, and especially in the MIDI edit window.

I tend to use the horizontal view zoomed all or nearly all the way in, for accuracy. And when I'm in a quick workflow, I keep adjusting the Horizontal Zoom, instead of simply moving the scrollbar left or right, as intended. This single "feature" drives me nuts! It's so frustrating! I just want all Scrollbar Handles to act as simple Scrollbar Handles, with no other function - forever.

I've asked about this before, but couldn't find any way to achieve my goal. I realize I may not be using the proper names for the parameters of my situation, so I'll try to attach some JPGs to make my request clearer.

Thanks for any assistance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReaperScrollZoom-With.jpg (50.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg ReaperScrollZoom-Without.jpg (53.4 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by SciFiArtMan; 09-16-2017 at 11:56 PM.
SciFiArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Well if you're willing to change your habits a bit, I'd recommend setting right mouse drag to hand scroll in mouse modifier preferences. I find it to be a much faster and intuitive way of navigating the workspace than anything else because you can begin scrolling without having to move your mouse anywhere first.

I'm fairly certain there's no way to disable that behavior currently. I do think it makes a good FR to request that the feature gets disabled when the scrollbar gets below a certain size.

You might also try left dragging above the ruler, which defaults to hand scrolling and can also be set up to zoom when dragging vertically. I haven't touched a scroll bar in years, personally.

I'm just giving you workarounds, but if you get used to the idea of scrolling a different way, I think you'll find other methods more efficient.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
SciFiArtMan

Thanks, foxAsteria!

Hmmm, I see what you mean with that, "left dragging above the ruler, which defaults to hand scrolling" - that's actually a much better scrolling method (greater strike area) and works for both edit windows. This might be my solution, as Reaper stands right now.

The right mouse button method may be even better, but I have an issue with right button assignment (due to the odd way I hold the mouse).

Yes, new ways can be better ways! Thanks again!

Last edited by SciFiArtMan; 09-17-2017 at 02:19 AM.
SciFiArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote