I hope, it is a little bit helpful!
Sincerely
Marco
Zerosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Thanks for this very helpful video. Boolmarked it

There were vigorous requests to include a SoundFont player in the Reaper distribution, but there are some cons to that, so recommending one or more soundfont players (or even include a free one in ReaPack) seems rather appropriate.

I already did some tests with several SoundFont players for GeneralMidi, myself (see -> https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=11 ), but did not yet check "BassMidi" (due to it's queer naming).

Why do you suggest BasssMidi ?

Is there a pro/con list for SoundFont players for GM usage ?
- usability with Reaper
- bugs / stability
- sound quality / features (completely providing the requred/optional features SoundFont files and Midi Events might trigger).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Zerosurf

I choose Bassmidi VSTi because it was the easiest I found which support multitimbral and more soundfont banks which you can change quickly!

For me soundfonts are the quickest way to listen to general midi files without configure much settings!

But for better sound I choose other vst instruments or drums!
Zerosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerosurf View Post
For me soundfonts are the quickest way to listen to general midi files without configure much settings!
True, but not necessarily the best ons (see the thread I mentioned above: Roland Virtual Sound Canvas is hard to beat regarding GM). In fact I don't know much about the effect on quality the player has (rather than the SoundFont files).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-18-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Goldreap

Thanks Zerosurf, I didn't know there was a 64 bit sf2 player out there, and I mean an actual dedicated player.. there are of course other programs like TX16Wx etc that will load soundfonts but I believe they don't catch the whole spec?

Anyway, I've fired it up, no problems so far. Mind you, rgc audio sfz is fine as long as you use the multicore dll version. And rgc audio sfz+ is also fine in Reaper (with many instances) if you set it to 'buggy plugin compatibility mode'. The good thing about both the rgc audio plugs is that you can set them to stream from disc, which means you can use the larger, higher quality, more recent soundfonts without worrying about RAM.

BTW, an even easier thing, if you want to just play midi files from your desktop but with far better quality than the default built in Windows midi player, is to set up Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth (it's free). It actually replaces the Windows thing..it's sitting in the background ready to go when you just click on a midi file anywhere in explorer, but it does have a configuration window where you can load any soundfont. And actually, I think the developer was inspired by (and was able to use) the bassmidi engine...something like that.
Re GM soundfonts, hard to beat FluidR3 GM2-2.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
I didn't know there was a 64 bit sf2 player out there,...
And this is indeed important ! When testing Soundfonts for GM, I got "out of memory" messages from other players.

-Michael
Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 AM   #7
Goldreap

Yes, I actually feel mildly excited!

When I setup VirtualMIDIsynth some time ago I was aware of the Bassmidi connection but hadn't fully explored the possibilities. I see now on the Bassmidi site there is also a standalone version..Midi Player 4 (32 and 64 bit).

But for quick auditioning (with good sound) of hundreds of midi files VirtualMIDIsynth is great.

I remember too that the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi can be set up as a system MIDI synth.. I haven't tried that.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
studio1602

Thanks, Zerosurf! I too, I wasn't aware of a dedicated 64-bit soundfont player. I am happy to have it brought to my attention. Working fine so far.

I've been using the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi as a soundfont player in REAPER. It's 32-bit, but works fine bridged. My preference is for 64-bit; if BassMidi continues to work out, it will likely replace the S-YXG50 for me.
studio1602 is offline   Reply With Quote