Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
plamuk
Human being with feelings

Default quantize incoming midi?

any way to quantize live midi playback?
i'm not interested in recording it into reaper
just snap live playback to a quantized grid.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
EnkelMagnus

How would you move a slightly late note ahead of time ?
EnkelMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
plamuk

you wouldn't.
i should have mentioned that this is something Ableton does, for example, with global input quantise and clip launching.
so you can launch a clip on time according to your quantise option, even if you hit it a bit early.
if you hit it late, i think it is pushed to the next position.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
ivansc

I can't see any way this would end well in a live situation.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
you wouldn't.
i should have mentioned that this is something Ableton does, for example, with global input quantise and clip launching.
so you can launch a clip on time according to your quantise option, even if you hit it a bit early.
So your not talking about playing parts with the notes quantized? I think there's some confusion there.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
plamuk

Quote:
I can't see any way this would end well in a live situation.....
haha tell that to people laughing all the way to the bank with ableton

Quote:
So your not talking about playing parts with the notes quantized? I think there's some confusion there.
correct.

a good comparison would be reaper's "smooth seeking" feature
which (when used with SWS region paylist) allows a user to trigger the next loop/section of a song

i want to do the same, but with a midi note.
ie if i hit the midi note a little early, and my quantise is set to 1/8, it pushes it to the next 8th note.
specifically, i'm using a home-spun monome, and i want to tighten up my timing a little.
they're playing in time. with a monome, you hit the first pad, and it steps through a midi sequence. if that first note is off time, your subsequent sequence is off time in the same amount.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
BenK-msx

can use jeffos's midi to reacontrol path thingy plug in.
have on a track and feed your midi in, and then that midi (quantized with reaper's input quantize or a midi quantize plug) can be used to trigger actions.

will search for the plug.
edit: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...o+control+path

posts suggest triggering actions the timing is not super accurate.
hmm but triggering the new region playlist stuff via midi the timing is taken care of. so now i'm confused as to your request/need but either or both should help. i think. aghh.

EDIT. also maybe helpful - the action 'sws wait till next beat', or wait till next bar. placeing the action at the start of a macro including whatever action(s) you're triggering with your midi may get things started on grid.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 11-29-2012 at 04:52 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamuk View Post
haha tell that to people laughing all the way to the bank with ableton
So you would be happy if Reaper decided you hit that note too late to make this time around and started playing it what, a beat or a bar late?

Maybe I too misunderstood what it is you are actually trying to do.

I still don't see how your sequencer deciding to delay a note you played because you were late but will quantize early notes correctly is going to work effectively in a live situation.

If the Ableton users are laughing all the way to the bank, maybe they are not doing what you seem to be implying?

Sorry if I am being dumb here, I would really like it if you amplified and clarified exactly what it is you are trying to do.
And is there by any chance an online reference (preferably vimeo or youtube) which shows Ableton doing what you want reaper to do?

P.S. I am now seriously wondering if I should just butt out and let you guys get on with it, but I am genuinely curious about this stuff.
You never know, I might drag myself into the 21st century one of these days!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
Jeffos
Mortal

(posting following a call in another thread) nym, unfortunately "quantize live midi" is not possible: well, it is quite easy to do but it requires PDC and that does not make sense in a live context.
The only thing you can do is indeed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
.. btw, I would suggest to call it "Global crapify", not "Global quantize"
"Quantize" is something else, but nd you cannot push notes "in the past" without PDC.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
ivansc

My comment was basically a kind way of saying "if you have problems playing in time, why not just get better at playing in time or at the very least to a click track"

Think I may have misinterpreted what you are trying to achieve here.
At least I hope I did.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #11
L_Grizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
My comment was basically a kind way of saying "if you have problems playing in time, why not just get better at playing in time or at the very least to a click track"

At least I hope I did.
Yes, in an ideal world, we would all have perfect timing all the time. But, then. we'd never need quantizing at all.

What the OP is looking for (and I've been trying to find the same thing), is functionality that is available in another DAW (ableton live) that we would like to see available in Reaper. Is that so heinous?
L_Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

At least I hope I did.

From what I gather, this has nothing to do with playing in time, but rather switching in time.
For an example in Mobius it is called "switch quantize" - this makes it possible to switch to a next loop at the time you find convenient, freeing you to perform the next task, while Mobius switches to the next loop at the correct time, keeping things in sync.
http://www.circularlabs.com/doc/v2/s...tch%20Quantize
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
(posting following a call in another thread) nym, unfortunately "quantize live midi" is not possible: well, it is quite easy to do but it requires PDC and that does not make sense in a live context.
The only thing you can do is indeed:

.. btw, I would suggest to call it "Global crapify", not "Global quantize"
"Quantize" is something else, but nd you cannot push notes "in the past" without PDC.
No it is not. And "crapify" would be way too confusing.

This *is* quantisation (Wikipedia: "[…] the process of mapping a large set of input values to a smaller set […]"). Much like you can quantise float values to integer values using different algorithms (e.g. floor / round / ceiling), there is no rule saying that quantisation has to be of the 'round' type. Of course in this case the bias needs to be of the 'ceiling' type, because you can't go back in time (without using a buffer and PDC). But calling it anything other than "quantisation" is simply confusing the matter (even though for non-realtime quantisation, rounding is obviously the best method).

Last edited by Banned; 11-30-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
m1ck300668UK

Propellerheads has had midi quantise since the first version
m1ck300668UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
plamuk

i'm doing this right now by converting all notes to ccs, using piz's CC stepper, and then returning them to notes :/

it works, perfectly, but feels clumsy. i have everything i need to make a MLR stepthru sequencer in REAPER, but just barely. i've yet to trust my reputation on it.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #16
magicmusic

is there now a script that can do it ?
I see cthulhu demo chord /arp quantize the note on to next step if not set retrigger mode. so if set step size to bar quantize note on without record. But i want quantize note off, because cthulhu do stop the note play immediate and not on end off step. to get no gap in live play, note on and note off should be quantize. reaper have input quantisation, but also when set notes position quantize to next value(which is in live play possible) it is only do in the recorded data. the live play is still not quantize

I see also in kirnu cream that this not quantize the note off to end of step

Last edited by magicmusic; 10-19-2015 at 07:07 AM.
magicmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
jesussaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmusic View Post
I see cthulhu demo chord /arp quantize the note on to next step if not set retrigger mode. so if set step size to bar quantize note on without record. But i want quantize note off, because cthulhu do stop the note play immediate and not on end off step. to get no gap in live play, note on and note off should be quantize. reaper have input quantisation, but also when set notes position quantize to next value(which is in live play possible) it is only do in the recorded data. the live play is still not quantize

bump this thread please.

i am previewing with izotope breaktweaker and understanding this is needed (for december 2015 sale $249 got the whole package with stutter edit, iris2, break tweaker, trash...) Vst Programs like kirnu cream, cthulu, and omnisphere trigger mode in their "live" screen all do this, pushing early notes forward so the loop behavior makes sense. its not really about music talent. its just the fact that triggering a processed sample early and thus interupting the prior one can cause aesthetic issues that win't exist with just hitting the transient in groove time on a naturally tailing off acoustic instrument.

the midi from after kirnu cream can be routed as input into breaktweaker, like it can be in ableton (how in reaper?).

any reaper heads know of what i speakes?
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
jesussaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmusic View Post

bump this thread please.

i am previewing with izotope breaktweaker and understanding this is needed (for december 2015 sale $249 got the whole package with stutter edit, iris2, break tweaker, trash...) Vst Programs like kirnu cream, cthulu, and omnisphere trigger mode in their "live" screen all do this, pushing early notes forward so the loop behavior makes sense. its not really about music talent. its just the fact that triggering a processed sample early and thus interupting the prior one can cause aesthetic issues that win't exist with just hitting the transient in groove time on a naturally tailing off acoustic instrument.

the quantized midi from after kirnu cream can be routed as input into breaktweaker, like it can be in ableton (how in reaper?).

any reaper heads know of what i speakes?
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote