Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-11-2019, 03:19 AM   #41
pepe44
Human being with feelings

drumphil you keep repeating yourself.

I´ve answered those questions on post #3 like karbon said...I said i was using Windows has well ( its on my signature !!!!! )

Maybe you are right when you say something in the system is forcing the OS to push the 88.2 to be used instead of 96 KHz when i don´t have Voicemeeter enabled. All of that can be true. I have no time to try it and disabled windows services till i find what is causing the issue.

I have my workaround using voicemeeter...its using the KS internal driver , Direct Kernel streaming API allows low latency audio
streaming, no upsampling is done , i repeat, no upsample is done!

-My default sound device now is the Voicemeeter AUX;
-Voicemeeter is using the MOTU driver;
-The MOTU is set to 96 KHz in the MOTU control panel;
-Every OS audio goes to Voicemeeter AUX;
-Reaper calls the ASIO driver not the Voicemeeter;

Do your tests, get those ultralite mk3 Hybrid you have, install this driver on your system and test it out.
If you find the solution, the REAL solution, please lets us know.
All the best
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #42
drumphil

Please, tell me this.

What is the point of forcing the audio interface to run at 96K outside of reaper, when the apps you are using don't output audio at 96k, requiring their output to be resampled in software before they hit the audio interface DAC, or the voicemeeter input, to match the forced 96K sample rate?

That's the bit that I don't get. I don't understand why it matters if this 96K operation from windows apps doesn't happen, when they aren't outputting 96K audio in the first place.

Again if I'm being dense, please slap me in the face, but I'm still not really understanding the point of this all.

Is this about "audio sounds better at 96K, so therefore everything will sound better if I force my DAC converters to run at 96K, even if that means windows doing crappy resampling to convert 44.1K youtube or spotify audio to 96K to match the sample rate my converters are running at?"

I hope it's not that, and I've got it all wrong, so I can go and hang my head in shame for being so dense.

I get what the problem is, with the MOTU not running at 96K when you're not running reaper, or using voicemeeter to force the issue. I just don't get why it matters.

Anyway, no big issue if you aren't inclined to help my dense brain understand. But I would appreciate it if you did, so I wont keep thinking about it, trying to understand what it is I'm missing.

Last edited by drumphil; 10-11-2019 at 07:11 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #43
pepe44

Its not about audio sounding better, its about i need to check music and videos on spotify and youtube while i work with clients, for music production references and stuff like that!! omg
Otherwise i need to change sample rate everytime i go to reaper and go back to apps..!!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #44
drumphil

Thanks. I think I get it now.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you go back to reaper without manually resetting the sample rate? Does reaper refuse to play, or does it start playing at the lower sample rate?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #45
pepe44

Reaper grabs the right sample rate, no mater what! its excelent at that
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #46
drumphil

I guess that that puts this in the category of slightly odd things that don't really mater that much, but are still at least slightly curious as to why they don't work as you'd expect.