Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
357mag
Human being with feelings

Default Any Mac users?

I'm looking into the possibility of switching to a Mac, but my current sound card will not transfer over. I'm using the E-MU 1212m which is a great sound card, but after looking at their website, they don't mention Mac at all with it.

So I was wondering if any of you could post recommendations for a high quality sound card for recording that works with a Mac.

I'm using E-MU PM5 speakers which have 1/4 inch cables, so the sound card would have to have 1/4 inch speaker inputs and outputs, plus an S/PDIF input.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Diogenes

Yeah... it's a serious bummer EMU won't do a Mac driver...

Why the switch? I have been tempted myself but I read just as many Mac horror stories as I do PC horror stories. Besides, anyway you slice it, owning and using a Mac COSTS more. The value is not there IMO.

Please, no Mac-heads beating up on me. It's my opinion based on a little bit of research.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
357mag

It's just a thought at present. The thing I really like about the Mac is you don't have the spyware/virus/trojan problem. Although I know how to avoid that even with a Windows based PC, with a Mac you don't even really need to avoid it cuz the threat is not there to start with.

Plus I found out that you can run Windows programs on a Mac also so that would make switching less painful.

But you are correct about horror stories. I've read about them too. No computer is perfect I'm sure.

I think if I did pick one up, I would have to get one of those external interfaces like a Presonus Firestudio or something like that.

Then I wonder if WINE will run Reaper and EZ Drummer.

Last edited by 357mag; 08-28-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
It does run them as long as your soundcard is supported by alsa. The only drawback really being a bit sluggish screenupdates. You need a pretty good computer to enjoy the experience though. On my P4 3GHz it didn't work out, but with a q6600 quad all is rosy. I load the cpu to the max and still run 5ms latency.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
It's just a thought at present. The thing I really like about the Mac is you don't have the spyware/virus/trojan problem. Although I know how to avoid that even with a Windows based PC, with a Mac you don't even really need to avoid it cuz the threat is not there to start with.

Plus I found out that you can run Windows programs on a Mac also so that would make switching less painful.

But you are correct about horror stories. I've read about them too. No computer is perfect I'm sure.

I think if I did pick one up, I would have to get one of those external interfaces like a Presonus Firestudio or something like that.

Yeah... I have entertained the thoughts of getting a nice iMac for general household use and dipping my toes into "Mac World". The BootCamp thing does make it a bit more enticing because theoretically all my WinBlows software will still work.

They're just so darn expensive! I can buy TWO nice quad core PC systems for what the lowest cost iMac runs... Apple needs to get competitive with their pricing IMO.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
357mag

I don't know what ALSA is. Never heard of it.

I've decided to wait on getting a Mac Pro. It's much safer to wait until Justin releases the final OS X version of Reaper. I know right now you can download a Beta version, but I really want to wait until the final release version is ready.

Considering how fast Justin works, it probably won't be too long.