Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Unox
Human being with feelings

Default Teaser: LedFest

Hi All;

This is the result of a newborn addiction. Yes, I made some serious music the last days, I edited voice'overs, I even talked to friends. I just didn't sleep that much.

I like theming.

Bit by bit I'm replacing all the .png's, just to see if I can think of something that suits my taste a bit more. Not because other people's work is inferior or anything else unfriendly, I just have to theme. I'm a bit oldschool, miss the desks and the Studers. Think you can see that. Most of the stuff you see comes from screendumps all over the net. Hires pressphoto's are a good start.

This will be a longterm project, I'm learning as I go along.

And, yes, there are a lot of leds in this theme. If you replace the tcp_volbg, volthumb etc with ledbars you will see them back in a lot of Cockos plugins. I did this because I draw volume most of the time, don't have to look at waving faders in the corner of my left eye. Anyways, when its done you can all tweak your heart out if you feel the urge, ofcourse I will post it here.

Ha, first hurdle taken: presenting theme. Now drink glass of something and find bed.

[IMG]http://img34.**************/img34/16/ledfestbig.jpg[/IMG]
Unox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Mercado_Negro

Awesome!

Thanks for your time and effort Unox, you're doing a beautiful/easy on the eyes theme there, keep the hard work as much as you can some of us will love it for sure!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
SiKo

Awesome! Those ivory piano keys are really nice. And not to feel guilty baut it, cauz itz all digitallll ))
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
MrMoto

Really awesome! I'm already using your ivory keys and can't wait for this theme to be finished. Man, that's great artwork.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
d.bop

Holy macaroni! Great work!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
JHughes
Banned

I also like those keys. And the mesh behind the plugins.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
pixeltarian

yeah. this is amazing. potentially my new favorite theme. can't wait till it's done. this is the first theme thread i'll subscribe to for just that reason.

the only thing I'd maybe change, is to make the pan LED's an every so slightly different color than the volume. just a teeny bit. like a little tiny bit more orange than red for the panning.

I also kind of wonder if it would look cool to make the LED's on the left and right slightly lit up for an organic look, like when the LED light is bleeding through the openings to the left and right.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 09-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
Unox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
the only thing I'd maybe change, is to make the pan LED's an every so slightly different color than the volume. just a teeny bit. like a little tiny bit more orange than red for the panning.
Mmmm.. I'll give it a spin..

Quote:
I also kind of wonder if it would look cool to make the LED's on the left and right slightly lit up for an organic look, like when the LED light is bleeding through the openings to the left and right.
That's an idea! I'll have to cap the background of the tcp_volbg, tcp_panbg and mcp_panbg on both sides and give the faderleds a nice glow. No too much, otherwise the panslider in the mixer will travel too short. Gonna try that one out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
Holy!!! That transport pannel is just the best for this theme!
Funny, innit? Googled my ass out for a nice example and came back home: Schwa made a plugin with these kinda leds. Screenshot, color pickertool in Gimp, done.

Quote:
And YES - Dirty Ivory Faders are so nice!

(I think the virtual keybord's keys do not have to be so dirty but you have the last word).
This is what I'm used to look at. Got a nearly hundred-year old grand piano downstairs. Some elephants really suffered to allow me to play without sweaty fingertops. I dedicate this keyboard to all 26 who died bravely to give me their tusks.

I'll include the clean faders too. Sometimes you wanna clean your desk. Maybe I should include all kinda stages from clean to dirty, would be funny if they change over time. Reaper logs how many hours you use it, maybe Justin could implement such a feature? Every 10 hours of use the skin gets dirtier.. Now THAT would be an unicum in DAWworld!

Quote:
Anyway apart from the skining of the backgrounds and the problem with stretching them this theme is (will be) one of the best themes ever made!
Thanks! Remember, this is not professional theming or whatever, just me having a great time.

Quote:
P.S. Unox did you read the post where I suggested that the zero lines for the faders could be changed in color.
Yep, found this page:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/advtheme/

Dunno yet what to do with the colors, when an idea comes up I'll change it. Anyway, theming is in practice so much easier then I thought, practically everything yo need to know is on that page, and Gimp is a good tool for it. I don't have Photoshop (really, I don't have it), so I miss out on the nice stuff like making easy glows, fading from dark to light on a surface, but anyway, it's a great hobby. I like solving puzzles.

Later!

Last edited by Unox; 09-25-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Unox

Bit of a problem here. Been playing with the item_bg yellow lines. But it looks too clean. Does anyone know how to dirty stuff up with gimp?

[IMG]http://img197.**************/img197/3450/itembling.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Mercado_Negro

Dirty it up? What for? That is awesome! If you're going to do something to it please save that one and add it to the theme later as an extra, that's definitely the best item image I've seen so far!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
kelldammit

+1 for that. that looks great as-is.

-OR-

feed the children. preferably to starving wild animals.
kelldammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Jae.Thomas

got an alpha yet?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Unox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
got an alpha yet?
Nope... Ironing around.. Figuring one thing out to create a new problem, stuff like that.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
audioguytodd

Keep it up Unox, I can't wait!!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
eMaRe

This is some good stuff. Can't wait to see it finished.
eMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
space

Looks great!!!
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Unox

Default Can eyecandy and folders go together.

Made some nice rackears:

[IMG]http://img408.**************/img408/6049/rackears.gif[/IMG]

These are made in the envcp_bg. Thinking I was clever (after sir Tie's consult) I went for rackears a la overlay. Looked beautiful, and they moved to the right when the track above became a folder! That would solve the folderthing for me, with the overlay you can make some sort of 'tree'like organisation, preserving trackwidth. Good to see in one eyeflick.

But you have to tie that overlay to the 'arm'button, and that button moves all over the place. When a trackname on the envcp is too long, when a track is minimized, armbutton splits or reappears after the name_bg when you stretch the track horizontally. To cut it short, I'm afraid I have to resort to some sort of crude (transparent) overlay to make it 'obvious' how a folder is structured and that ruins the illusion completely.

I would LOVE subtracks in Reaper. Sitting next to the masterfader (on the RIGHTside, like all mixingdesks outthere) with its own background, seperated from the common tracks with a blank panel, so you can see it in one eyegulp. Reaper's folderstructure is pretty well thought out, but not easily taken in while composing.

I dunno if I will start over again with the tcp -it needs pastels and a flat surface, like all the other themes-, some serious work coming up. I think I will, I'm the kinda guy that can't stop thinking until a snag is solved.

Last edited by Unox; 10-16-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: dumb typo. do not do again.