Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
metaphor17
Human being with feelings

Default A BETTER DRUM MACHINE

Reaper could use a better drum machine like FL studio or Reason...

A lot of people won't use a program unless they can start making music with it right away without any tutorials...

FL Studio's and Reason's drum machines are one of the main reasons why people give the programs a chance and then get familiar with and eventually fall in love with the software.

If Reaper had a more user friendly drum machine with better features... it could improve their retention rate and more new users wold be attracted to reaper... just a thought
metaphor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Kundalinguist

It's nice to have VSTi stuff on board. But it also has to be good. Right now there are plenty of free drum machines out there to make due with for now. And if you're really serious, then you'll probably ignore the freebies and buy something like BFD2 because, compared to that, most stuff is poop.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
TimOBrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphor17 View Post
A lot of people won't use a program unless they can start making music with it right away without any tutorials...
I don't think most newbies can do that with Fruity or Reason...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
run, megalodon

The only thing I think we have a chance with is something like this: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=68065
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
drybij

When I was a newb with Reaper (still am in most ways) my intention was to use it as a traditional recorder for live musicians. Only later when I started exploring electronic music options did I want an ITB drum machine and I bought the excellent Jamstix.

I had experimented with a lot of other DAW software, including those with built-in drum sequencers, and Reaper blew all of them away in terms of stability and simply making sense. I was hooked immediately.

Point being: There is a wide range of people who use Reaper for various reasons, while the lack of built-in drum software may deter some, many others are retained as devoted customers.
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
tls11823

I personally wouldn't want the lean environment and small download size of Reaper to be cluttered with things like drum machines. I've never used a drum machine and don't have any intention of doing so. And if you add drum machines for some people, others are going to want something that plays the bass for them, while yet others will want something that automatically generates keyboard parts.

For people that want something they can jump right in and create music without learning, Reaper just may not be the right solution. For those that are willing to invest some time and do some research, good things will happen.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Lucian

Search for posts by Jamster (I think that is his nick) He wrote a pretty
decent drum machine using reaper's sampler. Is it perfect? no but it is better than nothing and it is free and included.