Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Trismos
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper won't "PLAY". Troubleshooting tips please.

I have Reaper on my desktop at work where at lunch I'll occasionally listen to jams we record. Today I tried opening our latest and hit play but it doesn't start playing. The play button is lit like it should be and it says [playing] next to the timer but nothing is happening. I tried a different file and it's not working either so it's not the file. I downlaoded the most recent version of Reaper after I discovered this problem and it didn't fix the issue. Yesterday I was showing our bass player how easy it was to find a decent free vst drum set that he could install in his version of Reaper and loop and record. Found MTPower Drum Kit 2 and installed it and it all worked. Not working now.

Anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions?

Last edited by Trismos; 10-09-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Trismos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Philbo King

It looks like it can't find an audio device.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismos View Post
Found MTPower Drum Kit 2 and installed it and it all worked. Not working now.
The free version of MTPower Drum Kits usually requires to open the plugin window once after loading a project in order to click the little SKIP button at the bottom right in the plugin welcome screen (otherwise immediate audio output of the plugin is prevented). So this might be one thing to double-check.

But from your description and screenshot (showing only audio items) it seems to be a general audio device problem, though.
In this case, if you haven't already, either try to re-select the audio device settings under Preferences > Audio > Device. Or try if temporarily switching to a different Audio System and then back again makes any difference.

And just for testing purposes:
  • Try if playback is working with a different Audio system selected in the preferences
  • Try making a fresh portable Reaper install to a separate folder (next to your existing install) to check if the behavior is the same there

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2019 at 12:48 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Trismos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Upstairs in the jam room I have a Focusrite 18i20 in a Windows 10 machine. Down here I just use the DirectSound for the Windows 7 and run it through a Topping DAC. Seems to have worked fine in the past. The other options available in the drop down (WDM Kernel Streamin, WaveOut, ASIO, or WASPI) either give me an error opening audio hardware message or just don't do anything.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Trismos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Upstairs in the jam room I have a Focusrite 18i20 in a Windows 10 machine. Down here I just use the DirectSound for the Windows 7 and run it through a Topping DAC. Seems to have worked fine in the past. The other options available in the drop down (WDM Kernel Streamin, WaveOut, ASIO, or WASPI) either give me an error opening audio hardware message or just don't do anything.

SOLVED - Audio device was the correct analysis. The drop down for the Output Device had somehow changed to Primary sound driver from Speakers (High Def Audio Device).
Thanks for your (and Solger's) help.

Last edited by Trismos; 09-19-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: proper english
Old 09-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
solger

Great to hear that the mystery is solved