Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #41
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I really like the sound, esp for short rooms, but it's impossible to use at low latencies even though I recently upgraded and tuned my entire recording rig (ryzen+rme). It's pretty much the only plugin I have requiring me to increase my buffer above 128.
Dammit. I was also looking at this for STEED. I love that sound. I'll bet it's easily replicated in Reaverb, tho. I'm thinking a chamber IR into a slap echo with the correct HP/LP filtering and "sugar plum fairy, sugar plum fairy..." Obviously it won't be EXACT, but I defy any casual listener to tell the difference.

UPDATE:

I got CLA-76. I don't have any 1176 emus. I did try The Rocket, but the GUI is too weird. Same price anyway. Here's my referral code if you want it https://www.waves.com/r/685r4h

Last edited by kirk1701; 04-16-2019 at 11:52 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #42
foxAsteria

Yea, I typically just use ReaVerb for short rooms and plan on using this for late state polish, but end up not really needing it by the time I've got the mix mostly done. Chambers def yields quicker results than sifting through tons of IR's.

If you get all your recording out of the way before mixing you can just raise the buffer and it's great, but I tend to do some recording at all stages, so it's pretty inconvenient. OTOH, I've been having success simply disabling the fx sends when I need low latency for recording.

Love the CLA-76. My go-to compressor now for many things.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #43
kirk1701

Quote:
Yea, I typically just use ReaVerb for short rooms and plan on using this for late state polish, but end up not really needing it by the time I've got the mix mostly done. Chambers def yields quicker results than sifting through tons of IR's.

If you get all your recording out of the way before mixing you can just raise the buffer and it's great, but I tend to do some recording at all stages, so it's pretty inconvenient. OTOH, I've been having success simply disabling the fx sends when I need low latency for recording.

Love the CLA-76. My go-to compressor now for many things.
It's the only thing I don't have. A good freeware 1176 doesn't quite exist.

I have three excellent chamber IRs. I'm going to experiment and see if I can't get close to that Pepper echo.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #44
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
A good freeware 1176 doesn't quite exist.

I have three excellent chamber IRs. I'm going to experiment and see if I can't get close to that Pepper echo.
Well not having been spoiled by having used the actual hardware, the plugin's great for me. But there's a certain Beatles effect this does that I don't think an IR can do.

I don't remember exactly but it's more of a short delay loop than a reverb effect. I think they had a feedback chain of a few tape delays in series or something like that and this can emulate that effect pretty accurately. It can do a whole lot more as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #45
kirk1701

Quote:
Well not having been spoiled by having used the actual hardware, the plugin's great for me. But there's a certain Beatles effect this does that I don't think an IR can do.

I don't remember exactly but it's more of a short delay loop than a reverb effect. I think they had a feedback chain of a few tape delays in series or something like that and this can emulate that effect pretty accurately. It can do a whole lot more as well.
I have no doubt. I almost jumped on it, but I couldn't decide between it, J37, or Reel ADT. So I left it.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #46
pipelineaudio
Mortal

me too god dammit...Just on the heels of buying fabfilter c2 as well

Stop me!!!!!!!
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #47
sostenuto

Several Waves goodies_ Scheps Omni Ch, AR TG Mastering, IR1, SSL Comp.
Waiting patiently for CLA MixHub @ $29.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #48
Jeffsounds

I bought CLA 76. Here's my coupon code for anyone who wants to use it.

https://www.waves.com/r/lfcye3
Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 AM   #49
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Seems to be a lot bf votes for CLA76. Might have to have a look despite having a few other varieties of 1176 already.

I also have my eye on MV2 but will have to demo it next to Anomaly VOLA which I reckon probably does what MV2 does and more. I actually use VOLA and VOLA2 fairly often and they are great plugins.

Going to go and download demo of AR Chambers now too and check out just how harsh it is on my CPU.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:06 AM   #50
Dannii

I ended up purchasing MV2. It was a lot more transparent than any of the VOLA plugins and I really like what it does. It will be great as a leveling compressor on individual instruments and even busses.

AR Chambers ended up being far better on CPU than I was expecting. It only consumed about 2.5 percent on my system even at a buffer of 128. I passed on it though because, to be honest, it isn't a sound I reckon I'd use that often. When I want that character, I can get something pretty similar with what I already have.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #51
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Seems to be a lot bf votes for CLA76. Might have to have a look despite having a few other varieties of 1176 already.
Definitely worth checking out the Arturia 1176 they just released. Intro offer ends on the 19th April though. The bundle of 1176, dbx and STA-Level comes in at around the same price as the Waves sale items if you grab them during the intro sale.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 AM   #52
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Definitely worth checking out the Arturia 1176 they just released. Intro offer ends on the 19th April though. The bundle of 1176, dbx and STA-Level comes in at around the same price as the Waves sale items if you grab them during the intro sale.
I reckon I'm pretty much covered for 1176, LA2A & dbx160 compression with the Softube Vintage Compressors in NI Komplete 11 ultimate.

I actually have a pair of vintage hardware dbx compressors here too (a dbx117 & a dbx163). The 163 needs repair so I should put in on my bench and fix it.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #53
Judders

Quote:
I reckon I'm pretty much covered for 1176, LA2A & dbx160 compression with the Softube Vintage Compressors in NI Komplete 11 ultimate.

I actually have a pair of vintage hardware dbx compressors here too (a dbx117 & a dbx163). The 163 needs repair so I should put in on my bench and fix it.
Fair enough (STA-Level is vari-mu though, not opto). I think more recent 1176 offerings from Slate and Arturia are a cut above older ones like the NI/Softube compressors, but if they're working for you then that's cool.

And yes, you should fix your dbx and get it to use!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:36 AM   #54
Dannii

Quote:
Fair enough (STA-Level is vari-mu though, not opto). I think more recent 1176 offerings from Slate and Arturia are a cut above older ones like the NI/Softube compressors, but if they're working for you then that's cool.

And yes, you should fix your dbx and get it to use!
I've been meaning to fix the 163 now since I got it in the early 90s!! It's been sitting with my 117 and 154 noise reduction on top of my Sony two track open reel deck just looking cool for all those years! Seriously though, I've got a bunch of repairs and mods I'm doing at the moment so this is the perfect time to do it.

The Softube compressors in NI K11u are the VC76, VC2A & VC160 (1176, LA2A & dbx160).
I also have Klanghelm MJUC, Brainworx bx_opto Pedal and Lindell Audio 354E (three band Neve 2254) for character compression. The 354E is an absolute monster! I love that thing!! Same too with the MJUC.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #55
Judders

Quote:
I've been meaning to fix the 163 now since I got it in the early 90s!! It's been sitting with my 117 and 154 noise reduction on top of my Sony two track open reel deck just looking cool for all those years! Seriously though, I've got a bunch of repairs and mods I'm doing at the moment so this is the perfect time to do it.

The Softube compressors in NI K11u are the VC76, VC2A & VC160 (1176, LA2A & dbx160).
I also have Klanghelm MJUC, Brainworx bx_opto Pedal and Lindell Audio 354E (three band Neve 2254) for character compression. The 354E is an absolute monster! I love that thing!! Same too with the MJUC.
Yeah, I bought those NI compressors many years ago. Haven't dusted them off in a long time though.

MJUC has you covered for vari-mu, and I love the bx opto.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #56
Dannii

Quote:
Yeah, I bought those NI compressors many years ago. Haven't dusted them off in a long time though.

MJUC has you covered for vari-mu, and I love the bx opto.
Seriously, you've got to try out the Plugin Alliance Lindell Audio 354E and 254E. They are unlike all the others we've discussed but just as useful, if not more. The 354E is AMAZING on vocals!
Old 04-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #57
Judders

Quote:
Seriously, you've got to try out the Plugin Alliance Lindell Audio 354E and 254E. They are unlike all the others we've discussed but just as useful, if not more. The 354E is AMAZING on vocals!
Glad to hear it, I just got the 254E for free, on sale and with a voucher, I just haven't had time to try it out yet!

After owning Lindell's API channel compressor from the LSR site, I knew it would be good.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #58
Pinknoise

Guys I tried to mimick WAves DBX160 with MJUC and I find it beats it. On kick I made it.
Try my preset and tell me what you think:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<KlanghelmMJUC presetname="My DBX160" Compress="33.9" Makeup="0.0" Attack="7.0"
Recovery="4.7" Timing="3" Mode="0" Density="1" Ratio="1" HighRatio="1"
Punch="3" Istage="1" Timbre="1.4" Drive="4.4" SCF="79" Mix="44"
Calibration="-18" Automakeup="1" ChMode="1" VuMode="2" Model="2"
HQ="0" Bypass="0"/>
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #59
kirk1701

Quote:
I looked at Arturia since I also have Analog Lab 3, but I didn't really need the STA-Level or 165. But I bet they're great.

I'm interested in the Trident preamp as well, but I can't see how it's that much different than any of the Neve-style stuff I already have.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #60
Judders

Quote:
I looked at Arturia since I also have Analog Lab 3, but I didn't really need the STA-Level or 165. But I bet they're great.

I'm interested in the Trident preamp as well, but I can't see how it's that much different than any of the Neve-style stuff I already have.
The Trident EQ is quite different to the Neve. Can't say whether it's different enough to justify the cost or not though...
Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #61
foxAsteria

Quote:
AR Chambers ended up being far better on CPU than I was expecting.
Yea the CPU is not so bad, but at low buffers as soon as I arm a track I get crackle if this thing is in the project.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #62
Dannii

Quote:
Yea the CPU is not so bad, but at low buffers as soon as I arm a track I get crackle if this thing is in the project.
Hmm.. Didn't have any problems with crackling here on a record armed track with AR Chambers. It only used around 2 percent CPU at 128 buffer too. The only reason I didn't purchase it was that it isn't a sound I'm likely to use much.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #63
kirk1701

Quote:
The Trident EQ is quite different to the Neve. Can't say whether it's different enough to justify the cost or not though...
I should clarify that I mean the saturation/colour thing would be indistinguishable to a general listening audience.

The eq points and functionality are admittedly very different. If I was building a console, I might mix and match eq modules like this, but I feel like it's easy to go overboard in plugins.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #64
foxAsteria

Quote:
Hmm.. Didn't have any problems with crackling here on a record armed track with AR Chambers. It only used around 2 percent CPU at 128 buffer too. The only reason I didn't purchase it was that it isn't a sound I'm likely to use much.
Well maybe there's something to be done about it then. What're your specs? And is it different if you put it on a send vs individual track?

As far as the sound...I can't get enough, which is why I'd love to use it on live inputs. For giving some dimension and character to a mix, it's just perfect for me. Do you prefer more neutral verbs? Just curious.

I guess reverb choice is down to preference, but seems like people are more impressed with the plates. I had the opposite experience.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-17-2019 at 12:22 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #65
Dannii

Quote:
Well maybe there's something to be done about it then. What're your specs?

As far as the sound...I can't get enough, which is why I'd love to use it on live inputs. For giving some dimension and character to a mix, it's just perfect for me. Do you prefer more neutral verbs? Just curious.

I guess reverb choice is down to preference, but seems like people are more impressed with the plates. I had the opposite experience.
I tend to go for either totally natural reverbs or character reverbs such as Valhalla Vintage Verb. I also like old spring reverbs as FX on some synth parts. I have some nice hardware spring reverbs here. One of my favourites is the spring in my Roland System 100 synth. Some others I like are the springs in my Hammond organs, Yamaha D85 Electone and Elka Artist 606.

Computer specs are i7 7700K, Asus Z270 Prime mobo, 32GB RAM, 1.5 TB Samsung 850 SSDs, Win 10 Pro, RME Fireface UFX, MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV.
Made no difference here if the AR Chambers were on the record armed track as an insert or on another FX return track with a send from the rec armed track. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with how well it worked after reading all the reports of CPU hogitis!
Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #66
TheMaartian

Quote:
I tend to go for either totally natural reverbs or character reverbs such as Valhalla Vintage Verb. I also like old spring reverbs as FX on some synth parts. I have some nice hardware spring reverbs here. One of my favourites is the spring in my Roland System 100 synth. Some others I like are the springs in my Hammond organs, Yamaha D85 Electone and Elka Artist 606.

I like PSP's SpringBox (http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/...sp_springbox1/) a lot. Do you have any experience with it? If so, how would you compare it to your hardware springs?
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #67
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
I like PSP's SpringBox (http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/...sp_springbox1/) a lot. Do you have any experience with it? If so, how would you compare it to your hardware springs?
I've never used any vst spring emulations but the demos of that sound pretty decent. Of the spring reverbs I have here, I'd say their YouTube demo video sounds closest to my Roland System 100 spring reverb. The Hammond reverbs are more "boingy" for want of a better term. The thing I love about the Hammond ones is that they are wired to the input of the Leslie speakers so the Leslie effect spreads the spring reverb in a very cool way.
The spring reverb in my Elka Artist 606 has a very resonant character which is completely different to any of the others and has a somewhat retro SciFi type sound (think 60s and early 70s SciFi movies and TV shows such as Dr. Who). This spring reverb is wired to a separate amp and speaker to the Leslie cabinet.
The Yamaha D85 Electone spring is pre Leslie speaker like the Hammond ones and sounds more HiFi (like the System 100).
Old 04-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #68
Judders

SpringBox is great, but is more like the big AKG boxes.

For boingy the Softube and recent U-He (not used the U-He though, just going by demos) are better.

Hmmm... gonna have to try putting reverb through a leslie plugin now!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #69
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but spring reverb is so easily found in hardware form. It's the simplest hardware reverb to build.

If you're into reamping, then one of these might fit the bill. They're discontinued now, but used versions are around.

https://www.buyanalogman.com/VanAmps...%20vanamps.htm
Old 04-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #70
Dannii

Quote:
Hmmm... gonna have to try putting reverb through a leslie plugin now!
Prepare to have some fun!
It gets even more interesting when you start overdriving the Leslie with spring reverb on the input.
Quote:
This is a bit off-topic, but spring reverb is so easily found in hardware form. It's the simplest hardware reverb to build.
Indeed! That's pretty much why I haven't bothered with vst spring reverbs. I don't need to!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #71
Ricky Reject

Does anyone know how long this sale will last? Figured maybe one of you guys got an e-mail or something. It doesnt seem stated on their website...
Ricky Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #72
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Reject View Post
Does anyone know how long this sale will last?
It's in rotation year round. Best and most deals occur around Nov/Dec holidays.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #73
kirk1701

Okay, I've started playing with CLA-76. Am I crazy or is it really well balanced output-wise? You don't have to do too much level matching with any of the presets.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #74
Pinknoise

Quote:
It's the only thing I don't have. A good freeware 1176 doesn't quite exist.

Fetish is one of the fews. I think it sounds ok.
https://analogobsession.com/product/fetish/

Here in LBX Stripper at post #73 a nice Bluey interface for Reaper's Stillwell 1175:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206847&page=2

With CM mag there is Hornet's take on the 76 wich is quite good also and there is a mag you can pick up for a nice looking IK Multimedia 1176 but I hate IK installations personnaly.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 05-01-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #75
Nip

Quote:
Okay, I've started playing with CLA-76. Am I crazy or is it really well balanced output-wise? You don't have to do too much level matching with any of the presets.
Presets are probably made on some unity material levels for each purpose.

Look at GR meter and see if any compression is going on.
If ok input levels are probably ok, if no overs indicated.

Depending on material I look for 2-6 dB activity on compression peaks.

I often have to reduce gain on clips even, these hardware emulating stuff seem not to cope too well when hot. So knob is not always enough in my case.

Then activate output knob meters and see where you are.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #76
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Presets are probably made on some unity material levels for each purpose.

Look at GR meter and see if any compression is going on.
If ok input levels are probably ok, if no overs indicated.

Depending on material I look for 2-6 dB activity on compression peaks.

I often have to reduce gain on clips even, these hardware emulating stuff seem not to cope too well when hot. So knob is not always enough in my case.

Then activate output knob meters and see where you are.
That's about the range of compression I get. I'm comparing to MJUC, for which all the presets are serious smash.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #77
foxAsteria

Quote:
You don't have to do too much level matching with any of the presets.
Well not in my experience. But it's still quick: adjust the compression amount (which is quite smooth and doesn't raise peaks too much) and then match the output. I keep hoping Reaper will become the first DAW with built in AGC per channel....
Old 05-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #78
kirk1701

Quote:
Well not in my experience. But it's still quick: adjust the compression amount (which is quite smooth and doesn't raise peaks too much) and then match the output. I keep hoping Reaper will become the first DAW with built in AGC per channel....
It's not exact, no, but it's very well-balanced on the few sources I've used it. I can definitely see why it's so popular. If you're not sure what else to use, this plugin will work.

It also shows what sources should NOT have any compression, which is equally helpful. I often make the rookie error of slapping compressors on everything cause it "sounds good." No it doesn't.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #79
Dannii

I just went ahead and purchased Submarine after running the demo on a few things. I really like what it does for generating natural sub harmonics. It does a better job than LoAir and is a different animal entirely to Maxx Bass and R Bass. There's a lot more tweakability on this compared to LoAir which has been my go-to sub generator until now. It's pretty quick and easy to dial in good results too.

My discount code is in my FIRST POST for anyone who wants to grab something during the current sale.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #80
sostenuto

Quote:
I just went ahead and purchased Submarine after running the demo on a few things. I really like what it does for generating natural sub harmonics. *******
My discount code is in my FIRST POST for anyone who wants to grab something during the current sale.
Cool dude !!! THX!
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote