Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Nip
Human being with feelings

Default Reaplugs - ReaControlMidi - buggy, can you set how it identifies ins/outs etc?

Hi
As a rightful owner of Reaper 4.x license I felt I could ask here.

Reaplugs edition works fine in Reaper 4.7.
StudioOne does not save content with project.
Sonar crashed on load of project with it in - had to start in safe mode and removing it.
Cubase Pro 9.5 crashes when exiting after saving project with it.

Then I come to think of settings for JSScript telling how many ins/outs and if synth etc.

Are there any such settings that might make it usable????

It's the reacontrolmidi-standalone.dll that I talk about.

Thanks.

If anybody know of another plugin that can send sysex I'm greatful for any tip.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
mschnell

I doubt that ReaControlMidi is intended/allowed to be used in other DAWs.

What are you trying to accomplish ?

(Reaper users can use/do JSFX plugins that send SysEx. There is a tool that runs JSFXes in other DAW, and there is a tool that compiles JSFXes to be VSTs. I don't know how well these work regarding SysEx. )

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-25-2018 at 10:36 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Sonar crashed on load of project with it in - had to start in safe mode and removing it.
If anybody know of another plugin that can send sysex I'm greatful for any tip.
Sonar has several ways to send SysEx without any extra tools, and even more with them.
But why you want send them from many DAWs is an interesting question
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:07 AM   #4
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Sonar has several ways to send SysEx without any extra tools, and even more with them.
But why you want send them from many DAWs is an interesting question
thank you.

Yes, I know - Sonar has a sysex manager since the 80's even when I ran Cakewalk Pro.

Idea here was to just test ability to save content with daw project - which turned out to be no go.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:13 AM   #5
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I doubt that ReaControlMidi is intended/allowed to be used in other DAWs.

What are you trying to accomplish ?

(Reaper users can use/do JSFX plugins that send SysEx. There is a tool that runs JSFXes in other DAW, and there is a tool that compiles JSFXes to be VSTs. I don't know how well these work regarding SysEx. )

-Michael
Thank you.

It was from the Reaplugs separate package - not picking out something in Reaper folders.

And adding it to VstPlugins folder - it works in Reaper, chosing the one marked Reaplugs edition.

I think it's supposed to work in other daws - being a subset of what is shipped with Reaper.

Anyway,since Cockos anything is regarded good stuff - I thought it must be how it identifies itself just having two outs and being an effect plugins, not synth. I guess ome daws get stumped over that.

Have to look for another solution....
Old 11-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
thank you.

Yes, I know - Sonar has a sysex manager since the 80's even when I ran Cakewalk Pro.

Idea here was to just test ability to save content with daw project - which turned out to be no go.
SysExes can be inserted into MIDI clips (in both REAPER and Sonar). Is that a "content"? You can even open Sonar project with such clips in REAPER and they should still work fine (theoretically... I have not tested how good SysExes are converted).

Sonar does not support VST format for MIDI FXes directly. It interpret them as Synth and MIDI output from any synth is hard to keep under control.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
SysExes can be inserted into MIDI clips (in both REAPER and Sonar). Is that a "content"? You can even open Sonar project with such clips in REAPER and they should still work fine (theoretically... I have not tested how good SysExes are converted).

Sonar does not support VST format for MIDI FXes directly. It interpret them as Synth and MIDI output from any synth is hard to keep under control.
Thanks.
I run StudioOne now and ReaControlMidi came up as a solution asking around. so that I turned here was just troubleshooting it's odd behavior, thinking it must be the unsuall being an effect and only have audio outputs that make some daws puzzled.

Certain parameters in my Yamaha piano is not available on control panel - so do this over sysex.

I found this place http://ctrlr.org which allow to create my own panels controlling midi and then save as a VST if I want, or just use it inside the Ctrlr plugin. Really cool. To just make a couple of buttons to send sysex you don't even need any programming. But have to learn a little Lua to make it smoother control of parameters like a knob to dial in things.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
Philbo King

Np, ctrlr.org is awesome! I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:53 AM   #9
Nip

Your welcome, that's what forums are for.