Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
cporro
Human being with feelings

Default trackspacer in reaper (sidechaining eq or multiband?)

a friend turned me onto trackspacer so i downloaded the demo. useful. it appears to be a side chained multiband compressor or eq. it only has a few parameters...super easy to use. the amount you want to duck 0-100. and then some high and low roll off to offer freq control.

but then i read about how anything can be side chained in reaper! so i side chained reaeq like this. see attached. is this the most elegant way to go about this in reaper? i like simple and useful.

it took a while for me to dial this in. i had to set min volume to 0 and then adjust the strength to get a few db of reduction at 1k. (large q) but this sounds similar to what trackspacer is doing. those controls really don't make sense to me but i got what i wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper ducker.JPG (61.7 KB, 356 views)
cporro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Fergler

Not exactly...

trackspacer is 32 bands of multiband compression, but each band is reacting to the same frequencies from the source track. So if band 100hz-150hz is compressing it's because there's a lot of 100-150hz in the source material. This is much more complex to route vs what you've done there.

You'd have to frequency split the track into 32 bands or desired amount and route each of those on separate channels.

Probably something easily coded in JS mind you. I've wanted one for years. I own trackspacer and it's controls are infuriatingly limited for the potential power...
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
cporro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Not exactly...

trackspacer is 32 bands of multiband compression, but each band is reacting to the same frequencies from the source track. So if band 100hz-150hz is compressing it's because there's a lot of 100-150hz in the source material. This is much more complex to route vs what you've done there.

You'd have to frequency split the track into 32 bands or desired amount and route each of those on separate channels.

Probably something easily coded in JS mind you. I've wanted one for years. I own trackspacer and it's controls are infuriatingly limited for the potential power...
thanks.

that might be what it's doing but it's hard for me to hear the difference. perhaps i would on certain material. seems for all the trouble it's worth paying for it. looks like it's about 75 USD.

I've done some coding but not sure i want to take up another language...never done any coding for audio. mostly python over the last few years.

i'm not infuriated by trackspacer....yet. i like the simplicity of it so far.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Lokasenna

The easiest solution would be to grab TDR Nova (it's free) and use the sidechain in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-non8r8sQ
Old 09-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
cporro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The easiest solution would be to grab TDR Nova (it's free) and use the sidechain in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-non8r8sQ
as @Fergler was saying it's a bit different. now i don't really care about the technical details. it's really about does it work. but the way i understand it each band of your control signal is controlling a band of your target signal.

but what you are suggesting is probably useful. i just haven't tried it yet. sounds easier then setting up reaeq (although i already saved it as a preset).

loving TDR Nova. was surprised how different it sounds from using a multiband compressor.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Lokasenna

It's been a while, but I believe sidechaining in Nova uses just that band for detection as well. Not sure though.