Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
mmerson.zone
Human being with feelings

Default No sound... what am I missing?

Hey! Noob here.

Trying to hook up a Nektar LX25+ to the Reaper DAW. I've run into a key issue - no sound output.

I believe this may be is tied to the Master track, which does not produce levels even though the instrument track (ReaSynth) is getting a signal from my keyboard.

Though, I have had issues with my audio output on other DAWs as well. On that front, I've tried multiple different settings in the audio devices menu. I've used WaveOut, DirectSound, and I tried installing/enabling ASIO4ALL, all to no avail. I have also tried selecting both the "default" input and audio devices, "Speakers (Realtek Audio)", and my SPDIF interface for my headphones.

Here are a collection of screenshots that should prove useful for troubleshooting. https://imgur.com/a/iq7mCRN

The only other thing I can think of is some kind of setting on the Nektar itself. But none of the buttons and knobs seem to make any difference. (It's on, so I can safely say I'm not that much of a noob.)

Any help would come much appreciated! I'm watching a ton of tutorials online for this issue, but as far as I can tell I have everything set correctly.
mmerson.zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
vdubreeze

Click the speaker icon in the track. That's for record monitoring. It's off. Make it on or auto.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
mmerson.zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Click the speaker icon in the track. That's for record monitoring. It's off. Make it on or auto.
I checked again, and it is on. It's on in the Tracks screenshot, too. The icon changes to something else when it's off. I switched it to auto just to make sure and I still get no levels on the master and no audio playback.

Appreciate your help! Anything look off in the ASIO configuration or Master outputs?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
poplomop

Can you hear tracks that have audio media on them? Or is it just the synth track that you can't hear.
poplomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
I believe this may be is tied to the Master track, which does not produce levels even though the instrument track (ReaSynth) is getting a signal from my keyboard.
In your screenshot showing the Master and MIDI Track you have ReaSynth inserted as Input FX.

Add ReaSynth (only) as Track FX instead - either manually or via Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track (as shown here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#BvSC-6qq1vs)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
mmerson.zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In your screenshot showing the Master and MIDI Track you have ReaSynth inserted as Input FX.

Add ReaSynth (only) as Track FX instead - either manually or via Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track (as shown here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#BvSC-6qq1vs)
There it is! Thank you so much. Won't make that mistake twice.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerson.zone View Post
There it is! Thank you so much.
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerson.zone View Post
I've used WaveOut, DirectSound, and I tried installing/enabling ASIO4ALL, all to no avail.
As a side note:

In general, the recommended audio systems to use under Windows are ASIO or WASAPI.
Also keep in mind that DirectSound and WaveOut have a high latency with the default settings (185ms as shown in your screenshot). So in case you need to use one of those two (for whatever reasons) try decreasing the buffer and sample values.

Last edited by solger; 05-05-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: merged two posts into 1
solger is offline   Reply With Quote