Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
1dell
Human being with feelings

Default Should I normalize or EQ

when I am working with a file that is not high enough volume, should I normalize the track or should I rely on EQ?

I read elsewhere that each track should be -6dB to give the mix some headroom. Should I just normalize every track to -6dB or should I handle each file on a case by case basis?

AS working with organize instruments I get some cord noise or hum. So by default I always have to use Noise Reduction as one of the first steps after the track is recorded. I'm trying to get a system in place as preproduction regimen. I am thinking my steps should be:

* Noise Removal
* Normalize
* EQ
* Compression
* etc

This should be my FX chain huh?
1dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
drillbit

Don't normalize

It's a destructive process (and you would want to dither which adds noise...). Just turn them up. Reaper has awesome bandwidth and faders have heaps of gain above zero. It's always best to keep files pure then add high quality effects. EQ has nothing to do with levels. It's different process. Compressors and preamp/driver/distortion are more what your looking for.

I use the free freakoscope to see hum frequencies and hiss. Then I use sharp resonant EQ cuts to take out those frequencies (and sub cut) then I compress (without killing the energy of the sound).

Only use noise removal and gates if you need to. When a guitar is loud the hiss or hum is often masked or obliterated by the guitar. Then just mute/fade the spaces between the guitar parts. Noise can be good.

It's all pretty simple, and hey, if it sounds good, it is.

cool

Last edited by drillbit; 07-27-2008 at 12:42 AM.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
cAPSLOCK

Some ideas...

1. Don't get tooo bogged down with a particular signal chain idea.

2. Try to get as much hum out of your recording before tracking as opposed to using a denoiser.

3. Purists are gonna squalk about normalization. And Normalizing 16 bit files IS indeed the devils work. IMHO normalizing 24bit is trivial in the damage it causes. That said use the item menu normalize volume command to do it NON DESTRUCTIVELY.

4. EQ can certainly be used to help a part be heard, yes. In fact it may be the most powerful tool to do this, and that may be the most common use for it besides general housekeeping (like low roll offs etc). Still, if you just need something LOUDER then just turn it up. Or turn other things Down.

5. In general turning down, and cutting is better than turning up and boosting.

6. Keeping your levels under control is a nice golden rule. The -6db ideal is fine. FWIW most hosts are going to have plenty of clip free room above "0" but there are many reasons to NOT max out your meters. It's much harder to tell where the heck you are volume wise for one, and you might run into a plugin (on a buss for example) that will actually clip the signal. OOg. But turning down a track that peaks at -1 to playback to -6 (-5db on the fader) is preferable to normalizing them.

7. Frequently I like to EQ AFTER compression. Occasionally both.

More than anything else, study and LEARN. WHY do you want to have signals at a certain level? Why do you want to eliminate noise? When is the best time to do it? Why? What do you want to achieve with an EQ? How do you do it? And so on.

If you understand these concepts you will begin to understand all the answers to your questions. And you will be better prepared to do something to get the sound you want without guessing, or resorting to a formula.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited by cAPSLOCK; 07-27-2008 at 12:40 AM.
cAPSLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillbit View Post
Don't normalize

It's a destructive process (and you would want to dither which adds noise...). [...]
No if you use the normalization gain in REAPER, which is basically volume adjustment right at the item level, before going to the item level fader, etc...

Also (I'm hopefully telling you old stuff here) is best fixed at the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillbit View Post
It's all pretty simple, and hey, if it sounds good, it is.
Yes I can agree with that .
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
1dell

Hey thanks you guys, your advise is invaluable! I really appreciate the responses!!

I didn't mean organized instruments I meant organic. I'm running the signal thru one of them old fuddy duddy Radio Shack mixers and I hear a lot of air when I am running my guitar or bass thru it. I have a lightsnake 1/2 cable but the latency on that is so atrocious that I just use the old fashioned method which leaves me with oodles of noise.

I've been playing with ReaFIR. identifying the frequency in violation and then lower it but I guess it's my ears. Cuz I don't really hear much of a difference. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by 1dell; 07-27-2008 at 08:43 AM.
1dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
drillbit

Didn't know about the Reaper non-destructive normalize gain feature. That's neat. I'm used to audio editors (eg, Wavelab, Soundforge).

Lean something every day. Reaper is deep, man.

1dell it sounds like your signal path is a bit shit. the less in the chain the better I think. I go tube pre into soundcard with balanced cables. This keeps it simple and low noise.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
martygras

I normalize a lot so Drillbit scared me there a bit.

All Reaper does when normalizing a track is locate the highest audio peak and raise the volume of the "object" to odB.

This will raise the noise floor on a noisy track though.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Jae.Thomas

yes, normalization in reaper is NOT destructive.

same as turning the gain up - its a common misconception.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote