Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
95x
Human being with feelings

Default tracks

Is it possible to construct tracks in 24 196 in Reaper or similar hi res format and then
take them to a pro studio and get the benefit of superior sonics and equipment
??I am trying to get an idea of what is involved in getting the excellent dynamic sound quality that you hear in a recording coming out of a pro studio in Nashville or similar..I am not referring to the lousy songs and arrangements that are common in todays records but the actual Sonics...the rich full room
hi fi sound that some good recordings have and many dont.I refer to it as the FM quality....that being the great full analogish sound that you hear sometimes usually
on a powerful FM radio station even if the source is digital as most recordings are.
95x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi. I think Kenny has at least part of an answer for you here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCJ5DTUXIU

As I understand it however the main thing in getting perceived high quality is not really to do with very high sample rates etc. but much more to do with good quality mics etc. used properly in a good quality space. In any case REAPER will not be the limiting factor!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
domzy

yes, reaper can do 24bit 96k (or 192khz, if that's what you meant) - the limiting factor with higher resolution is likely to be hardware, rather than software - ie if your soundcard or interface is capable of handling those rates.
With regard to high quality recording, i think there are far more important factors than super high bit depth / resolution. these being skill / experience, a good room and good mics & outboard etc.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95x View Post
hi res format and then take them to a pro studio and get the benefit of superior sonics and equipment
First I would contact a studio you had in mind and asking what formats they worked with.

Quote:
I am trying to get an idea of what is involved in getting the excellent dynamic sound quality that you hear in a recording coming out of a pro studio in Nashville or similar
There are a lot of videos on YouTube that show recording techniques, and even tours of major studios - that will give you some insight into the gear they have and their rooms. Pretty much everything is huge and there is lots of it all. You can do the same at 24/48 and save yourself a whole bunch of drive space. It depends on what your end goal for the project is.

Are you going to mix/master and release it yourself? If you intend recording it all yourself and then having the mixing/mastering done in a pro studio, refer back to the first comment, pick a studio ask them what they prefer and their rates per hour.

As others have said, if you take a really high-end expensive large condenser mic and plonk it in your lounge room or converted bedroom, with any of the popular 2 or 4 channel interfaces on the market today, you will not achieve the sound of the big studios. It will sound bloody good though! Recording at 192 as opposed to 48 won't make the mic sound any better. Take that same mic into a well designed studio room with the same interface and you will notice a difference, how major that difference is will depend on the environment it's in.

Two excellent resources on YouTube are (in no particular order):
Reaper Blog
Reaper Mania

You will get many suggestions on what bit and sample rates you should be using. For my two bobs worth, I would suggest no lower than 24 bit / 48 KHz.

Before getting to overwhelmed about it all, a few things to think about:
  1. You intentions in respect to end market. MP3 or CD release
  2. Your budget (in respect to outsourcing mixing/mastering)

If you are looking to release yourself using services such as CD Baby, then going to the likes of pro-studios may not be financially viable in the long-term, unless you are an undiscovered Garth Brooks or similar!
A good mic, a good interface and you can do it all yourself right here in Reaper. Browse through the forum and you will find many users who have links to their work.