Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Liemannen
Human being with feelings

Default Producing metal

Hey! I'm both playing in a metalband and I mostly produce/mix metal. So I'm looking for any helpful tips and tricks you might have up your sleeves for doing this kind of music. Mixing techniques, plugin recommendations, good reference-listening etc.

My main issue would be having all the instruments really have their own place in the mix. Everything is usually going 200 mph so it's sometimes difficult to make everything sit and cut through.

Any tips would be greatly welcome. If a thread like this already exists I apologize and admin can feel free to remove it.
Liemannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Swamp Ape
Human being with feelings

I can only think of a few metal-specific pieces of advice.

First and foremost, make sure the kick and bass guitar are not fighting each other. Pick a spot where each sounds best, and de-emphasize that area of the other instrument with subtractive EQ. It's easy to have rapid kicks and bass fight each other and make a mix sound muddy.

I'd also suggest at least double tracking all the guitar parts, if not quadruple tracking them. Hi-pass guitars to make room for bass/kick.

Don't let your vocals and guitar fight either - you can do a similar technique with finding the sweet spot of one and subtracting it from the other.

For fast types of metal, you'll want more compression than slower stuff or less heavy rock. For death, black, grind, etc., compression is your friend.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote