Old 02-26-2020, 01:02 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Apple Class Compliant Drivers

I always hear people say you don't need drivers on mac as they are class compliant and come with it.

But the RTL numbers are the same on mac as windows

Interfaces with crappy windows drivers have just as high latency on mac as on windows

For instance, interfaces with TheSyconDrivers, do they actually have TheSycon Drivers included on OSX, its just that you dont have to install them yourself?

How else would they get exactly the same performance on windows as on osx?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:40 AM   #2
Stella645
Human being with feelings

What testing is showing identical RTL on PC and Mac? Have never seen an identical result cross platform.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

It usually looks near identical at DAWbench. Are you seeing something different? You should tell RME
Old 02-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Stella645

Vin's official DAWbench testing is Windows only so you'll need to clarify what figures you are looking at.

Focusrite post figures for both os....most only post asio figures so not easy to find direct comparisons.

https://focusrite.com/en/scarlett_indepth

I'm envious of Mac figures for my own interface MOTU 8A. Mine are significantly worse.

It's possible RME are close as they are achieving such great performance with their drivers.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Ahh man i must be on crack, I need to go find this, I swear he used to have both up.

Regardless, it still doesn't really answer the original question, why are devices that have drastically different RTL's on windows seem to have the same drastically different RTLs on OSX? Its not like the Focusrite all of a sudden has the RTL of an RME just by running it on OSX
Old 02-27-2020, 03:28 AM   #6
Stella645

Isn't it simply the case that core audio has similar performance to the average asio drivers and so many manufactures don't release their own drivers while companies like RME do provide a MAC driver?
Old 02-27-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Ahh man i must be on crack, I need to go find this, I swear he used to have both up.

Regardless, it still doesn't really answer the original question, why are devices that have drastically different RTL's on windows seem to have the same drastically different RTLs on OSX? Its not like the Focusrite all of a sudden has the RTL of an RME just by running it on OSX
No driver can fix crappy hardware...
Old 02-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #8
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Isn't it simply the case that core audio has similar performance to the average asio drivers and so many manufactures don't release their own drivers while companies like RME do provide a MAC driver?
RNE's driver does a lot of stuff you can't do with the USB class compliant driver. Like TotalMix.

But that said, most RME USB interfaces are class compliant and are used, fi, when running Linux, as class compliant devices. No TotelMix in that case.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

What I'm asking is why, if they are all using the same driver as many claim, do they still have a drastically different RTL? It seems like they still have individual drivers, even if you don't install them.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
Stella645

Can you show any example RTL of any two interfaces that don't use their own driver with drastically different RTL?

I have a strong suspicion that if you run RME in class compliant mode you will not get the same performance as if you use their driver.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
cyrano

Besides Thesycon, there at least two other 3rd party developers involved. Thesycon is just the name that pops up because they also sell a universal driver for a lot of interfaces.

There are few interface manufacturers that do their own driver development, but the others don't all shop with Thesycon every time.

There also must be a reason RME chose to emulate their own USB hardware in FPGA. Every one else uses off-the-shelf USB chipsets. It isn't an easy choice as you have to deal with a myriad of different USB ports.

IIRC, there's even a cheap USB chipset around that's simply not suitable for audio or video. Fortunately, it surfaces mostly in cheap Android tablets.

All that is the hardware side. But some* say Thesycon drivers suck. AFAICT they don't suck any worse than most other drivers out there. Compare with printer drivers if you want. Besides, if you're playing with this stuff long enough, you'll realise there are other parameters, like temperature...

* mainly on gearslutz, IIRC.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I have a strong suspicion that if you run RME in class compliant mode you will not get the same performance as if you use their driver.
I need to try this. I have a digiface USB I could test that with

My main thing in this thread was that there are piles of mac users across the forums saying you don't need to worry about whether or not the interface has good drivers "because on mac you don't need drivers anyway".

Everyone I know with an RME on mac installs the RME software, which certainly seems to refute that