Old 10-24-2022, 05:51 PM   #1
fmL
Human being with feelings

Default Ventura

hi all,
for those of you who have updated to macOS Ventura. are there any issues? any performance benefits/issues, ect?
Old 10-26-2022, 04:11 AM   #2
Layres

Hoping to get some guidance on this as well. I was curious about those who have updated, but am hesitant to do so myself until I hear at least some reports about it running on the new OS. Is there any idea when we might here officially from Cockos about Reaper being updated to be compatible?
Layres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
DarkStar

Cherry Audio, for one, has said don't update to Ventura yet. it is currently testing all its plug-ins.

I get the impression that each major OSX version release breaks some software products. If so, can someone explain why this happens?
Old 10-26-2022, 07:28 AM   #4
EpicSounds

I didn't realize Ventura was officially out. maybe I'm online less but it seems like less commotion than usual.

Sweetwater always has a good guide for these updates and tracks statements from developers

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ibility-guide/

From ValhallaDSP on Twitter

Quote:
People have been asking "Should I update to macOS Ventura?"

The official Valhalla answer: VERY MUCH NO.

--

There's an issue with authorizing the plugins in Ventura, in any Apple product (Logic Pro, GarageBand, FCPX). All other DAWs authorize the plugins just fine. Plugins that were previously authorized pre-Ventura should be fine as well.

--

In the meantime, don't upgrade to Ventura just yet. We're working on a solution. I'm currently on my 2nd Ventura installation (the first one got hinky, so I'm reinstalling from recovery - only 4 hours and 35 minutes to go!).

--

If you have updated to Ventura, and you have just bought Valhalla plugins, we suggest using a non-Apple DAW to authorize the plugins (Reaper is a fast download & install, and is free to demo). Once authorized, your plugins will work in Logic et al.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #5
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Cherry Audio, for one, has said don't update to Ventura yet. it is currently testing all its plug-ins.

I get the impression that each major OSX version release breaks some software products. If so, can someone explain why this happens?
Most OSX updates are usually fine. It’s just once in a while when they release an update with major under the hood changes that things can break.

Those changes are always advertised well in advance with tools and solutions released way before to let developers stay ahead. My impression is that the audio business is notoriously slow and sloppy to address these issues. Even big companies that sell expensive software behave like bedroom developers.

I’m not saying Ventura is safe though as I have not tried. This was a general observation.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
fmL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Sweetwater always has a good guide for these updates and tracks statements from developers

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ibility-guide/

From ValhallaDSP on Twitter
man, there is always something. i swear i have OS update ptsd.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
andymurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmL View Post
hi all,
for those of you who have updated to macOS Ventura. are there any issues? any performance benefits/issues, ect?
I updated today and I have one major issue. I know Reaper is meant to be used with Pro audio gear but I often NEED to use it with wireless headphones (at work) and normally it works fine. I also have monitors and Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Headphones and it works fine with those. But at work it has to be wireless. I have Bose NC 700 HP and they worked perfectly with Monterey. Now when I try to listen to my project it plays a half tone lower and crackles and skips. I presume Cockos will release a version compatible with Ventura. I hope that will sort this issue.

The wireless headphones work fine with Safari (Youtube etc.) and listening to music on the Music App and on Elmedia player, so the issue is definitely with Reaper.
andymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #8
davidamnesia

Default I'd like to dedicate this song to...

...everyone who ran Mac OS 7.6.1 as long as possible because Digi took over a year to update PT drivers
davidamnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:39 PM   #9
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymurph View Post
Now when I try to listen to my project it plays a half tone lower and crackles and skips. I presume Cockos will release a version compatible with Ventura. I hope that will sort this issue.

The wireless headphones work fine with Safari (Youtube etc.) and listening to music on the Music App and on Elmedia player, so the issue is definitely with Reaper.
sounds like sample rate mismatch. check audio MIDI setup utility
Old 10-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #10
flatheadstudios

Default Ventura

I upgraded my entire system from an Intel MB Pro (16MB) to an M1 Max Mac Studio, and then upgraded to Ventura. It is a 32GB ram machine with 1TB hd and so far I have had only one issue with Reaper. When I open a project, my media files will show 'off line' until I click on the Reaper project. Then the files show up as expected. As soon as I click on any other app or webpage, reaper files revert to showing off line.

This is not a functional issue, as the files are there and the project does play as expected. It is just a visual annoyance more than anything.

No issues with any plugins, I have projects using IK Media, UAD, Waves, Izotope, etc and have had no issues loading these plugins.

If the offline/online issue is something that is only occurring for me, then I'd love to know what I need to do to have that stop.

Other than that, happy as a clam with Reaper on my new system!
flatheadstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:38 PM   #11
skylar_battles

Recently updated my Intel MacbookPro to Ventura with no issues.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #12
vdubreeze

After getting bit hard DAW wise jumping on a Mac system upgrade about 15 years ago I’ve since held steadfast to letting it shake out for a month before making the move and have never regretted it Especially with Apple’s aggressively making installing older systems difficult if you don’t get it from your own backup (their current ending of signing recent IOS systems is crazy) make doing the upgrade on a whim a totally different thing than it used to be. Unless a new system has something that really interests me I lag behind. I never went Monterey until getting a recent MBP and don’t regret not having it til now.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #13
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadstudios View Post
I have had only one issue with Reaper. When I open a project, my media files will show 'off line' until I click on the Reaper project. Then the files show up as expected. As soon as I click on any other app or webpage, reaper files revert to showing off line.
search preferences for offline. there is a preference to turn off files when the app is inactive.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:21 AM   #14
Ivo Sedlacek

Upgraded to Ventura, all seems to work perfectly fine.
Ivo Sedlacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #15
flatheadstudios

Default Ventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
search preferences for offline. there is a preference to turn off files when the app is inactive.
EpicSounds - brilliant. Thank you so much for the tip. Worked like a charm!
flatheadstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:54 AM   #16
pasz

No issues after upgrading from an intel i9 running Monterey to a M1 Air running Ventura, other than this issue, which might not be Ventura related.

No problems using plugins by FabFilter, GoodHertz, Eventide, Native Instruments Tokyo Dawn Labs to new a few.
pasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #17
Sibben

Upgraded an i5 iMac and everything seems to be working with plugs from Softube, NI, Soundtoys and Toontrack.

I do think the midi editor is a lot choppier when open during playback. It does not seem to affect sound, just some GUI lag. This is very much an acedotal observation fwiw.

Last edited by Sibben; 11-24-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #18
jopatius

Updated an Intel-based Mac - Focusrite-interface works, but Steinberg UR22MKII doesn't. Steinberg is "testing":
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...-compatibility
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote