Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Ping727
Human being with feelings

Default Post-send volume? How to get only reverb?

So basically I was looking to (for only a section) reduce a part to be just its reverb basically.
My ideas:
1- reduce volume envelope on track and increase send vol to compensate but idk if the automation has enough gain in it to do that.
2- mute the reverb send, put the same reverb on the original track and then maybe use an envelope to control the wet-dry balance.
3- make the send pre-fader but that makes doing other things difficult, like keeping the right reverb balance.

I feel like there should be an easier way to do this since working with reverb as sends rather than as track FX is the typical MO for most people. Does anyone know of a way to control post-send volume?
Ping727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
Judders

To keep it simple I would probably duplicate the track for that section and put the reverb on the track, automating the wet/dry level.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Fex

Track a)
Source
Master send disabled,
Sends to tracks b) and c)

Track b)
Master send enabled
Mute is automated to toggle during target section

Track c)
Reverb
Master send enabled

It would be better if you could just automate the Master send on the source track. This being Reaper, you probably can, but I have no idea how.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
g4greg

just create a reverb bus (a separate track with the reverb at 100%) then send your track into it. you will have total control of how much reverb you want by controlling the volume of the send.

You can even automate it.

And send other tracks into it to make it sound like they're all in the same "room", even though some can be a lot more "wet" than others.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:55 AM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
just create a reverb bus (a separate track with the reverb at 100%) then send your track into it. you will have total control of how much reverb you want by controlling the volume of the send.

You can even automate it.

And send other tracks into it to make it sound like they're all in the same "room", even though some can be a lot more "wet" than others.
As the OP said, that will only work pre-fader for what they want to do, and I presume they must have volume automation going on because they didn't want to use a pre-fader send.

Saying that, another option just occurred to me: you could copy/paste the volume automation to pre-fader volume and then use a pre-fader send.

The simplest option for me is still having a new track for that section.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:16 AM   #6
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping727 View Post
So basically I was looking to (for only a section) reduce a part to be just its reverb basically.
Fex has the right idea in post #3

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...47&postcount=3

Your source track is bussed pre-fader (uncheck master/parent send) to another track which controls its dry volume/pan etc.

The source track also sends to the reverb (post fader).

Control your reverb send with the source track, and control the source volume with the bus track.

A piece of cake.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:50 AM   #7
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywanders View Post
Fex has the right idea in post #3
Thank you.

I have found (as have you) that if you wish to give useful answers, it really helps if you read the frickin' question.

OP's intention is that the dry signal is to drop out momentarily, leaving only the reverberated signal. That's the point of the thread.

Muting the send from a dry bus will work, as will dropping the volume to zero.

Last edited by Fex; 08-07-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Track a)
It would be better if you could just automate the Master send on the source track. This being Reaper, you probably can, but I have no idea how.
Actually, not sure at all it's possible...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:02 AM   #9
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Actually, not sure at all it's possible...
Yeah, I kinda feel like it should be, but it's not important enough to me to warrant a Feature Request.

EDIT:
SWS: Toggle master/parent send on selected track(s)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
mabian

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda feel like it should be, but it's not important enough to me to warrant a Feature Request.

EDIT:
SWS: Toggle master/parent send on selected track(s)
Yes, but this is an action, bindable to buttons and shortcuts, not something automatable (unless venturing to complex script/arrangement interaction...)

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywanders View Post
Your source track is bussed pre-fader (uncheck master/parent send) to another track which controls its dry volume/pan etc.
Post fader or else you’re kinda back where we started.

This second “bus” track is only ever used for this particular thing. For the rest of the time, it should be left at unity and centered and all of your more normal adjustments and automations happen on the source track so that the reverb send will follow.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Yes, but this is an action, bindable to buttons and shortcuts, not something automatable (unless venturing to complex script/arrangement interaction...)
Yes, I wasn't offering it as a solution to the problem at hand, which is already solved as far as I'm concerned. I was just noting that it might be possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Post fader or else you’re kinda back where we started.
LOL
Good catch!

Jeez, you'd think this was complicated. It isn't. If everyone could stop messing with my perfectly good suggestion now please....

No sign of OP. Here's hoping he's enjoying his dub-drops.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
No but you can automate the send to track b and then even hide track b and basically forget it’s even there.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Fex

Quote:
No but you can automate the send to track b
That works.
Quote:
and then even hide track b and basically forget it’s even there.
Yes, but OP only wants track c sans track b for a section, so that might not be the most practical approach.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
ashcat_lt

Quote:
That works.Yes, but OP only wants track c sans track b for a section, so that might not be the most practical approach.
Well no. They want track c not track A. If you mute the send from a to b, you never have to touch b.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #16
Fex

Quote:
Well no. They want track c not track A. If you mute the send from a to b, you never have to touch b.
I see what you mean. You'd make any and all changes to A. I had it wired wrong in my head.

I only wrote the bloody post, what do I know?
Old 08-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
Fex

I never hide tracks, BTW. I like to see what's going on. I do get confusssed, though, so I quite often lock track controls to stop myself from doing dumb stuff.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #18
ashcat_lt

If track a happened to have an explicit send to a bus (folderless bus routing etc), you wouldn’t even need a new track. That is, the ultimate issue is the master/parent send, and if you’re not using that anyway, you’ve already got the tools you need.

I’m a bit weird about hiding tracks myself. I’d usually rather not. In this example, if you wanted to put track a into a folder structure or route it some other way, you’d have to account for track b one way or another, which would maybe be less obvious and even just take longer if track b is hidden.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #19
Ping727

Hey sorry for not replying; I guess I'm supposed to do that, my bad. Thanks for your replies everyone! I was hoping for fix that involved less steps or something, but oh well!
What I think i'm going to do:

Put the audio track into a folder and set it to Volume Master/lead (I guess it's lead and follow now not master/slave haha) controlling the reverb track; that way the reverb fader moves with the folder fader, but it seems like volume automation doesn't affect the reverb volume like it would normally. I thought the reverb would still change with the volume with Volume master/lead but I guess not; I've only ever used VCA master; I find it better for the mixing stage.

If I wanted to automate that folder [reverb level changing with it], I guess I would need to just copy the automation envelope into the reverb track too, so I think that's the way to go; not too complicated and I, too, hate having hidden tracks so that's what I'm doing.

I didn't see any other posts on this topic so hopefully someone else is helped too.

Last edited by Ping727; 08-08-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clearing up syntax
Ping727 is offline   Reply With Quote