Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Action(s) to increase or decrease current track selection, possible?

Typically, if you select a new track in Reaper, any previous track selection disappears.

But if I have made a selection of multiple tracks, and I want to use an action (button) to add tracks to the initial selection, or remove tracks from the initial selection, while still keeping the initial selection of tracks selected, are there actions in Reaper (with Reapack) which can enable me to achieve this? Or would I need to program such an action in EEL/LUA?

The scenario in more detail:
I need to arrange things so I can make different kinds of renders of the present song/project. I always render using the "Stems (selected tracks)" render option. This means that if I select only the master track, I get the whole mix, but if I select all output buses, I get stems or buses, or single tracks I get single track etc. What I render, depends entirely on which tracks are selected.

In order to make buttons, which selects certain pre-set track configurations, to use for rendering, I will need toolbar buttons which includes tracks (say for example the click track) to an already existing track selection, made by a previous button press.

It just isn't possible for me to make a button for each and every output configuration, so I will need buttons which first selects a basic track (output) configuration, and then additional buttons which can add/remove tracks to/from this initial selection.

But I'm not having any luck finding actions which supports these kinds of operations (?) The closest I think I have seen are actions which includes the directly adjacent track (above or below) to existing selection.

thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Colox; 08-05-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
Coachz

You can use CTRL click to add tracks to your selection. You said you want buttons to do it though so do you want a script that says:

script 1: select tracks 1,2,3,4,5, 20, 31
script 2: select a different number of tracks........etc.

Do you want to create a specific list by track number or what in the script ? Give some examples please.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
You can use CTRL click to add tracks to your selection. You said you want buttons to do it though so do you want a script that says:

script 1: select tracks 1,2,3,4,5, 20, 31
script 2: select a different number of tracks........etc.

Do you want to create a specific list by track number or what in the script ? Give some examples please.
Thanks for responding.

Ok, as an example: my mixes always goes through four master-buses (lead, music, bass, drums/fx) and then out through a stereo master output. And my Reaper only renders the tracks that are selected at rendering time. This would give me for example the below output options:

1. Render all four master buses as separate tracks, and nothing else
2. Render master output as separate track, and nothing else
3. Render all four master buses and master output, as separate tracks (5 in total), and nothing else

Each of these three options is available to me by simply selecting the tracks I wish to include in the render; either all four master buses, or only the master output, or the master output plua the four master-buses.

This is easy, just three buttons, where the action of each button is "Select tracks number x, x, x, x, x" etc and then Render. (master buses are always on the same track numbers for me, regardless of project).

On top of this, I need the option to include elements (or remove too). To include click into the render for example.

I don't use Reaper's built-in click, but instead I got my reasons for using a custom click on an audio track configuration at the bottom of the project, track # 165.
So including the click into the master output render, is just a matter of select BOTH the master output the click audiotrack.

That would take two buttons: master output, and master output with click.
But then add this scenario to all master buses too, and you'll need 10 buttons: each bus with or without click, plus all buses with- or without click. Now we got 12 buttons just for all this.

If we add more output options than just master output and master buses, and we also offer more addon options - such as count-in click, vocal lead-in tone, remove lead-track, and more - the amount of buttons keep multiplying until we'd get 100 buttons rather quickly.

Instead of that scenario, I thought to separate the two selection methods. That way, I could have "Select all four master buses" than then a separate button that says "add click" (or any other addon option).
But for this to work, I'd need actions to first make a selection of multiple tracks, and then add a new track to that selection without removing the initial selection. And similarly remove tracks from the initial selection without disrupting the initial selection.

I hope this makes sense.

Or .. are you perhaps asking for how my local setup looks? like which exact track numbers or names, and configurations of those I will want to include in certain selection configurations?
Old 08-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Coachz

Can you have the scripts select the "buss" tracks by name and then select the children of them ? Check out my "JB_select_click_track.lua" below.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=2
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote