Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #41
Naji
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It really depends on context, personally, I don't use it much because there aren't enough scenarios for me to need it often but that is totally user preference/need.

I think the last time I actually used it was to improvise the farfisa solo (@1:25) on this cover a buddy and I recorded over a couple hours a number of years back...

http://EverythingsLovely.Com/Music/S...rewolf/tos.mp3

I can tell by the "licks" I used that I played it on guitar. The piano sounding keyboard, pretty sure I just played on a keyboard.
Like the music, but I think the whole mix could have been done with a similar result without that plugin at all

Last edited by Naji; 08-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #42
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
You might want to rethink not recording MIDI. Recording the MIDI allows you to add or change or modify all of the synthesizer sounds after the fact. I do this routinely. You played a great lick, now go back and re-track synthesizer parts to your hearts content without having to replay the guitar part at all.

Try it. Record something and then set up a loop, and while playing the loop you can add additional synthesizers swap sounds around etc. until you find exactly the best combination.
Thanks but I can also loop and change Vstis within the plugin. I have posted a second version with different instruments here to Music Collab. Midi is something I use for drums only. When I eg record e-piano, I record audio only from my Yamaha keyboard. Different workflows. But your workflow is great, if you want midi, too, you can use every Vsti and the guitar will be heard, too, but you can adjust the mix level also within plugin itself, if u use a Vsti within in the plugin. Plugin is great, it gives you more and new creative ways, but not sure whether I will still want to use it in a month, cuz I am used to my usual workflow, but sometimes changes could be great, too

When I listen to the sax I played for the first time with the plugin, on one side it sounds like a real one, on the other side you might think here and then not, but I listened in the 90ies to a contemporary sax player alot, it's a shame I forgot his name, he sounded the same. With a real sax you can make way more weird things than u could with the plugin, but even if plugin does not sound 100%, then it's a kind of new sound, why not!?

Last edited by Naji; 08-04-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
but I think the whole mix could have been done with a similar result without that plugin at all
Well duh but that wasn't the point.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #44
Steviebone

Quote:
Thanks but I can also loop and change Vstis within the plugin. I have posted a second version with different instruments here to Music Collab. Midi is something I use for drums only. When I eg record e-piano, I record audio only from my Yamaha keyboard. Different workflows. But your workflow is great, if you want midi, too, you can use every Vsti and the guitar will be heard, too, but you can adjust the mix level also within plugin itself, if u use a Vsti within in the plugin. Plugin is great, it gives you more and new creative ways, but not sure whether I will still want to use it in a month, cuz I am used to my usual workflow, but sometimes changes could be great, too
All I was saying is that if you record the MIDI you can change the VST sound itself (not just remix it), or even to a completely different VST after the fact. Or add new ones.

Last edited by Steviebone; 08-04-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #45
Steviebone

Quote:
Like the music, but I think the whole mix could have been done with a similar result without that plugin at all
Of course there is always more than one way to skin a cat so to speak (I hate that euphemism), and as I iterated before I don't generally use a guitar synthesizer as a substitute for a proper keyboard part. But Karbon's track just goes to show what can be done is limited only to your imagination and your desire/ability to apply the proper playing technique.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #46
Steviebone

Quote:
When I listen to the sax I played for the first time with the plugin, on one side it sounds like a real one, on the other side you might think here and then not, but I listened in the 90ies to a contemporary sax player alot, it's a shame I forgot his name, he sounded the same. With a real sax you can make way more weird things than u could with the plugin, but even if plugin does not sound 100%, then it's a kind of new sound, why not!?
You could also mic the sax and send it to the MIDI Guitar plugin. In this case you would probably change from polyphonic to monophonic turn on the pitch bend or legato. I tracked with a flute the other day - I would imagine a sax would be pretty cool.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #47
Naji

Quote:
Well duh but that wasn't the point.

Duh, well, I don't know what your point was, maybe you wanted to discuss the song s lyrics, I don't know after your reply.
You posted your song with the info that this plugin was used on farfisa. If I heard that song by coincidence without your information, I would not have even thought that this plugin was used.
So what was the sense of using this plugin on a farfisa sound ? , a farfisa is normally played on a keyboard and most of us have a keyboard. So MY point was that without this plugin one or you could have made almost the same song a farfisa included and you even wrote that you knew to play keyboard. It would only make some sense if you knew to play guitar only imo

Last edited by Naji; 08-04-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #48
Steviebone

Quote:
Duh, well, I don't know what your point was, maybe you wanted to discuss the song s lyrics, I don't know after your reply.
You posted your song with the info that this plugin was used on farfisa. If I heard that song by coincidence without your information, I would not have even thought that this plugin was used.
Maybe that was his exact point. Not putting words in Karbon's mouth, he can do that for himself. But I think you make a point for him none-the-less though, in that had you not known beforehand that he had used a guitar to play the part you would not have noticed.

As I stated earlier, I use the plug-in primarily for adding textures and arpeggios to be blended with the actual guitar performance more than use it to substitute a keyboard sound for an actual keyboard performance.

But however one can use something to make music is okay by me.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
So what was the sense of using this plugin on a farfisa sound ? , a farfisa is normally played on a keyboard and most of us have a keyboard. So MY point was that without this plugin one or you could have made almost the same song a farfisa included and you even wrote that you knew to play keyboard. It would only make some sense if you knew to play guitar only imo
My point was I don't use Jam Origin much, all pitch-to-midi devices, including roland (I used to sell them), they all tend to annoy me but I wanted to be fair and show where I did need one and could be useful. I posted an example of the last time I used one years ago, because that particular keyboard part I couldn't improvise on the keyboard myself instinctively so there are rare times I might use it. Actually, there are a handful of bad notes even then as I didn't even go back to correct them.

Every time I post, isn't a debate, nor asking for one. It was a simple piece of information to help readers understand.

Off topic:

That said, it's called Time of the Season by the Zombies, figured you'd pick up on that part but no biggie as what the song was, was completely unrelated to the point. It was a one off really, we were working on some other stuff, I played the riff, we thought it was cool so we banged out the tracks and mixed, rendered in the course of an hour or two via memory of how the song goes.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2020 at 01:26 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #50
Steviebone

Quote:
Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Truth. Now... decisions, decisions.... do I want to burn out,? or fade away?...
Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
But however one can use something to make music is okay by me.
Yea, I typically couldn't give a crap, the bigger challenge is knowing what notes to farking play - not usually concerned with how one goes about that if it serves their purpose.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #52
karbomusic

Quote:
Truth. Now... decisions, decisions.... do I want to burn out,? or fade away?...
Since I turned 57 in June, looks like I'm on the fade away plan. I've had a number of friends however who took the burn out route, they aren't around any longer.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #53
toleolu

Quote:
Since I turned 57 in June, looks like I'm on the fade away plan.
I turned 65 in March. Can you still see me???
Old 08-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #54
mschnell

I can top this

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #55
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I can top this

-Michael
Who said that???
Old 08-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #56
Naji

Quote:
My point was I don't use Jam Origin much, all pitch-to-midi devices, including roland (I used to sell them), they all tend to annoy me but I wanted to be fair and show where I did need one and could be useful. I posted an example of the last time I used one years ago, because that particular keyboard part I couldn't improvise on the keyboard myself instinctively so there are rare times I might use it. Actually, there are a handful of bad notes even then as I didn't even go back to correct them.

Every time I post, isn't a debate, nor asking for one. It was a simple piece of information to help readers understand.

Off topic:

That said, it's called Time of the Season by the Zombies, figured you'd pick up on that part but no biggie as what the song was, was completely unrelated to the point. It was a one off really, we were working on some other stuff, I played the riff, we thought it was cool so we banged out the tracks and mixed, rendered in the course of an hour or two via memory of how the song goes.
Ok, I see. You know this plugins for some years, so you have a relation to it or know where to put it. For some people it is a completely new plugin and experience like for me, I still try to find out what it might be good for, it's interesting that's all I can say...

Refering to my sax example it sounds similar to a real one and it does not at the same time. Can anything sound like a real sax that isn't a real sax? Is this question important or simply regard this plugin as a completely new instrument, that can sound similar to a real instrument!? I know that's not the only purpose and possibilty this plugin has or gives

Last edited by Naji; 08-04-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #57
karbomusic

Quote:
Ok, I see. You know this plugins for some years, so you have a relation to it or know where to put it. For some people it is a completely new plugin and experience like for me, I still try to find out what it might be good for, it's interesting that's all I can say...
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji
Refering to my sax example it sounds similar to a real one and it does not at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic
When within it's wheelhouse it's great, when not, not so much. That's true of every pitch-to-midi device or software I've ever used.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #58
Steviebone

Quote:

Refering to my sax example it sounds similar to a real one and it does not at the same time. Can anything sound like a real sax that isn't a real sax? Is this question important or simply regard this plugin as a completely new instrument, that can sound similar to a real instrument!? I know that's not the only purpose and possibilty this plugin has or gives
A lot of things go into whether or not something sounds like the real instrument besides just the sample being played. You have to consider things like arrangement for starters. Are the notes you're playing consistent with the instrument in question? What's the rest of the mix like? To fool someone with just a sound still takes context.

And there will always be some things, especially regarding articulations, that are very difficult, if not impossible, to mimic with a keyboard (or guitar) under any circumstances. That is why there are so many sample libraries turning up now that are basically phrase libraries instead of note libraries. I know people who use them, they are not my cup of tea though. You end up building arrangements around somebody else's phrases instead of vice versa. Could be relevant for film score work or other orchestral arrangements I suppose. Not my area of interest however.

At the end of the day I am more interested in doing something original so any opportunity to explore an unorthodox process is appealing to me. If all you're trying to do is mimic the keyboard part, the guitar synthesizer makes less sense to me (although useful for non-keyboard players). But then I'm a keyboard player so I just go play the part on a keyboard. On the other hand adding all of the textures and layers of certain types of synth or sample sounds to a guitar track provides a path to some original sounds.

Karbon's pictures from above demonstrate the little bit of latency that is inherent in any pitch to MIDI translation. You can improve on this a little bit by having a dedicated machine that you can drop all the way down to 64K on the buffers. Presently, I'm not bothering with that but it would still be much cheaper than buying a Roland hardware setup.

Interestingly, you can of course compensate for the latency after the fact to tighten things back up if you want. That's a simple enough process in reaper.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #59
karbomusic

Quote:

Interestingly, you can of course compensate for the latency after the fact to tighten things back up if you want. That's a simple enough process in reaper.
Just a quick note for readers, there's two latencies to deal with:

1. ADC latency - compensated by reaper/driver etc. so that's covered as far as recording goes.
2. Pitch-To-Midi latency - latency amount is based on the pitch of the note being converted aka length of the waveform it has to measure. This is what I posted in my screenshot.

We can't do much about #2 other than quantize or deal with it because it is a moving target based on pitch. The only reason it bothers me at times is there is my own human variation, then this entire other variation based on pitch on top of that.

I don't think this should discourage anyone, nor is it a deal-breaker, there are loads of uses with this where #2 would simply be irrelevant just trying to clarify what I think I see going on under the hood so we understand our tools better. If one is playing something faster and more staccato, and across a couple octaves, it might rear it's head depending - and may or may not matter.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2020 at 05:27 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #60
mschnell

Quote:
Hmm.

Seemingly the latency with this plugin depends on the audio stream received.

Reaper can compensate constant latency.

Hence in live usage it's fine that the pkugin always introduces as little latency as possible.

While playing back a recording it should be able to be switched to introduce a constant latency that can be compensated.

-Michael
Old 08-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #61
Steviebone

Quote:
Just a quick note for readers, there's two latencies to deal with:

1. ADC latency - compensated by reaper/driver etc. so that's covered as far as recording goes.
2. Pitch-To-Midi latency - latency amount is based on the pitch of the note being converted aka length of the waveform it has to measure. This is what I posted in my screenshot.

We can't do much about #2 other than quantize or deal with it because it is a moving target based on pitch. The only reason it bothers me at times is there is my own human variation, then this entire other variation based on pitch on top of that.

I don't think this should discourage anyone, nor is it a deal-breaker, there are loads of uses with this where #2 would simply be irrelevant just trying to clarify what I think I see going on under the hood so we understand our tools better. If one is playing something faster and more staccato, and across a couple octaves, it might rear it's head depending - and may or may not matter.
Interestingly enough the latency introduced in #2 actually changes with pitch. The higher the pitch, the faster the program can recognize pitch and perform the translation. However going in the other direction, the lower the pitch, the longer it takes before there is enough information to correctly identify the pitch. This is why most pitch-to-MIDI translators have a more difficult time with the low end than the high-end.

So truth be told even though you can move the track backward a bit to compensate for the latency in #2 after the fact, it will never be perfectly exact (nor does it need to be ) because the latency varies slightly from lower pitches to higher pitches.

And as Karbon points out there is always some latency no matter what because we just don't play on time - lol.

As for quantization, I've always hated it because nothing in real life ends up being exactly on the beat. If you put too many instruments exactly on the beat, they are stepping all over over each other and it does not sound natural. When a real band plays no one is exactly on the beat and each player/part is milliseconds ahead or behind the other. For the brain to interpret all of the signals correctly it needs a little bit of breathing room.

This is especially true of drums. A real drummer will never play exactly on the beat, and the difference between a little "push" (ahead of the beat) or "pull" (behind the beat) makes a HUGE difference in how something sounds.

If you do quantize it's a good idea to use the random feature so that not every note is placed right on top of the beat. Either that or go back after the fact and move some stuff around on your own. If you do this it will sound more natural.

There's a great book out there called "this is your brain on music". It explains how you actually hear music and what the process is as it goes through your sensory input. It's actually the first few milliseconds, or the initial attack of an instrument, that allows you to differentiate one instrument over another. The sustaining tone pays a much less important role in how you perceive the sound. So latency in this context is very important.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #62
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Hmm.

Seemingly the latency with this plugin depends on the audio stream received.

Reaper can compensate constant latency.

Hence in live usage it's fine that the pkugin always introduces as little latency as possible.

While playing back a recording it should be able to be switched to introduce a constant latency that can be compensated.

-Michael
Well we are talking about two different types of latency in this situation. The latency created by the operating system/plugin/audio stream can be auto compensated by reaper. This is based on information reaper gets scanning the plug-in initially. The latency introduced by the pitch to MIDI translation is an entirely different thing. In this instance if you have a great deal of latency you would have to nudge the audio track backwards a bit to compensate for it after the fact.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #63
karbomusic

Quote:
Interestingly enough the latency introduced in #2 actually changes with pitch. The higher the pitch, the faster the program can recognize pitch and perform the translation. However going in the other direction, the lower the pitch, the longer it takes before there is enough information to correctly identify the pitch. This is why most pitch-to-MIDI translators have a more difficult time with the low end than the high-end.
Yea, exactly. It's just a good thing to know, I measured again last night just so I could take a screenshot (so that I don't have to measure every time I talk about it LOL) - Basically, I aligned the very first one (E2), just so I could see the latency decrease as the pitches went up per octave:

There's plenty of scenarios where this doesn't really matter, just good to know.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #64
Pashkuli
Banned

Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar and Bass are the only plugins I have bought without any hesitation.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #65
Breeder

Quote:
A couple of other points.… If you want to shred then you are looking at the whole opportunity wrong in my opinion. I don't believe there will ever be a pitch to MIDI solution that will work for that type of playing technique. This is because the very nature of the physics involved in identifying pitch. If you are looking for that type of approach you will have to pay top dollar for the guitars that have the frets wired in order to identify where your fingers are on the neck.
Which guitars are these?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #66
Judders

Quote:
I don't use Jam Origin much
Same.

I bought it maybe a year or two ago, and I think I have a total of 1 project where I used it.

It's fun to play around with, but I generally get more expressive performances out of a keyboard with an expression pedal and aftertouch controlling pitch for vibrato.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #67
Steviebone

Quote:
Yea, exactly. It's just a good thing to know, I measured again last night just so I could take a screenshot (so that I don't have to measure every time I talk about it LOL) - Basically, I aligned the very first one (E2), just so I could see the latency decrease as the pitches went up per octave:

There's plenty of scenarios where this doesn't really matter, just good to know.
at the end of the day... if it sounds good... it is good

And like I said earlier, you don't want everything landing at the exact same millisecond anyway

cool example... it was little more pronounced than I expected actually
Old 08-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #68
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Which guitars are these?
https://industrialradio.com.au/products/fretsense/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZCTfv5eOCo

Last edited by Steviebone; 08-05-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #69
Steviebone

Fretsense

The Fretsense™ technology built into Industrial Radio guitars and basses takes stringed MIDI controllers to the next level by providing a real alternative to run-of-the-mill pitch-to-voltage MIDI detection.

Unlike your standard pitch-to-voltage MIDI systems, which only utilise audio signals to determine all aspects of a MIDI performance, the Fretsense system employs an array of sensor technologies built into the instrument to more quickly and reliably determine pitch, triggers and velocity.

The Fretsense system takes its name from probably the most notable sensory system, ie. the wired frets. The key to fast pitch detection on Fretsense instruments is the wired neck where every fret is connected to the fret beside it along a number of channels, ie. one per string. The Fretsense technology immediately detects the position of any fret/note that is being held by measuring the conductivity between the metal frets and metal strings.

Other than the Fretsense neck the system also has other sensors including the pitch-bend sensors in the bridge and piezo pickup bridge saddles (used for trigger detection) and the optional RadioPick accessory that offers an alternative approach to MIDI triggering.

By utilising these independent, function-specific sensors in tandem it is possible to achieve a much more consistent, relaible and lower latency MIDI performance.
Fretsense Features

Sophisticated multi-sensor MIDI system built into instrument with fret-sensing neck, pitch bend sensors and dynamics sensors for industry-leading guitar-to-MIDI conversion
Provides unparalleled, low latency MIDI tracking
Latency is consistent across full range of instrument from high notes to low notes
Playing techniques translate reliably to MIDI - bend, slide, slap, pop and tap notes
Includes several advanced, configurable options to tailor responsiveness of instrument to individual's playing technique
Works both monophonically and polyphonically
Legato mode
Includes numerous MIDI SEND modes to ensure compatibility and optimum performance with virtually all synths both old and new
Full dynamics like on a keyboard
40 programmable performance presets
Intuitive user interface with on-board display - control instrument settings direct on the instrument from the fingerboard (bass only)
Switch sounds instantly on fingerboard
Updatable operating system for future refinements and expansion
Single Fretsense cable for MIDI, audio and power eliminates need for multiple cables coming out of instrument
Footswitch input on FSI-1 Fretsense Interface for sustain/modulation/freeze foot pedal functions
Comprehensive MIDI IN capabilities for added control when used with MIDI foot controller
Pitch bend can be sent via aftertouch
Transpose MIDI pitch +/-3 Octaves and +/-12 semitones
Ability to program custom MIDI "play zones" on fingerboard
Old 08-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #70
Steviebone

Anyone want to pony up the bucks? I'll be happy to play it for you and tell you how it works!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #71
mschnell

Quote:
Latency is consistent across full range of instrument from high notes to low notes
This !
-Michael
Old 08-06-2020, 03:35 AM   #72
viscofisy

Quote:
at the end of the day... if it sounds good... it is good

And like I said earlier, you don't want everything landing at the exact same millisecond anyway

cool example... it was little more pronounced than I expected actually
You seem to be confusing 2 different things :

1) The accuracy of the recording system itself; with

2) "Quantisation"

We absolutely *do* want whatever notes we play to be recorded as accurately as possible by the system. A plugin - or buffers (or both) - introducing arbitrary wonky latencies has nothing to do with avoiding a "mechanical" feel.

Whether or not you apply quantisation - due to player or system inadequacy - that's a whole nother thing.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:55 AM   #73
Breeder

Nice!!!! :O

I wonder what's the latency, if any

Last edited by Breeder; 08-06-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #74
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
I wonder what's the latency, if any
Zero latency won't be a thing until we can connect our brains directly to predictive devices, unfortunately. It is coming, though. It will cause a bit of a stir, as the species will suddenly catch on to what Sam Harris has been saying about free will all these years.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #75
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Zero latency won't be a thing until we can connect our brains directly to predictive devices, unfortunately. It is coming, though.
I'm working as fast as I can man.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239573

No, haven't revisited, been too busy as of late.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #76
Naji

No one mentioned one can use plugin with hardware synths or I haven´t noticed!?, that´s much more interesting for me than VSTi. I tried it with JV 2080 (Roland) and maybe this plugin will save the JV from an existence in dust haha
Some experimenting:

https://voca.ro/b9L7KGPgfj1

Last edited by Naji; 08-06-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #77
Fex

Quote:
Some experimenting:

Quite good until 0.56 when it briefly goes a bit Stairway to Heaven. Now I feel like I've been Jimmy-rolled.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #78
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
You seem to be confusing 2 different things :

1) The accuracy of the recording system itself; with

2) "Quantisation"

We absolutely *do* want whatever notes we play to be recorded as accurately as possible by the system. A plugin - or buffers (or both) - introducing arbitrary wonky latencies has nothing to do with avoiding a "mechanical" feel.

Whether or not you apply quantisation - due to player or system inadequacy - that's a whole nother thing.
_
I am not confusing anything. Yes the two are different things but they both affect where a sound begins. One is a factor of the actual audio stream and timing of audio processing within the computer realm and the other is a factor of timing due to human error or playing technique.

I got off on a tangent because lots of people use quantization when recording MIDI and snap everything to the grid. This is okay for EDM work but produces very unnatural results which sound sequenced in other types of music. When you stack everything right on top of one another the brain can't process the information the same way because all of the attacks of the various instruments are occurring at the exact same millisecond. It is the attack, the very first few milliseconds of any instrument sound that allow the brain to identify it. So it is important not to have all of this transient behavior occurring at the exact same instant.

Manipulating MIDI data, especially for drums, pushing or pulling a kick or snare just a tiny tiny tiny little bit will make a huge difference in how the track sits in the mix. Of course in the natural world nothing happens at the exact same instant so you will get a much more natural sounding mix if you adhere to these principles.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #79
Steviebone

Quote:
No one mentioned one can use plugin with hardware synths or I haven´t noticed!?, that´s much more interesting for me than VSTi. I tried it with JV 20280 (Roland) and maybe this plugin will save the JV from an existence in dust haha
Some experimenting:

This is an excellent point Naji. MIDI data is MIDI data. You can send it to any MIDI device whether it be software or hardware. There may be some additional latency sending it out board but most hardware is very efficient at this so it's probably negligible.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #80
Naji

Yes it's similar to Stairway to heaven, this chords you will find back on Bach's compositions btw, so feel free to use it, Led Zep can not sue you, I can prove Bach played already same chords
But Stairway to heaven is great and unique, of course, but would not recomment tp play it in a guitar store, they will kill you haha
Plugin is great for romplers imo where you can find tons of different sounds and instruments and I prefer hardware, especially because Roland has one of the best programmers for presets imo, fx and first and foremost reverb is top notch, I compared it by tracking dry signal and add all kinds of different reverb plugins, but you won't get Roland's awesome sound. Yamaha is also not bad as for presets and fx.
So my conclusion as for this plugin is, with it you can use a guitar as a second midi master keyboard or instrument and a guitar is played differently than a keyboard, hence interesting for some instruments, I would not use it on every song, but maybe on every 15th.
There are two ckrackles, but not from plugin, it's just the point where I started recording a second take, and I know how to delete it, but was done quickly
@Steviebone
I did not notice a big latency with Jv 2080 and rme interface, it worked fine

Last edited by Naji; 08-06-2020 at 10:29 AM.