Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 07-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
vectorwarrior
Human being with feelings

Default Creating videos with multiple audio tracks (not channels!)

Hey folks,

I'm trying to create videos with multiple audio tracks in them, that can be selected by the user in apps like VLC. Think multiple languages or the director's commentary audio tracks, where the audio is switched out to a different version but the video remains the same.

I don't believe it's possible in Reaper currently, I had a look on the forum and saw people struggling to extract tracks beyond the main one without success... which makes me believe Reaper likely can't create them either.

Any ideas? I'm currently waiting for VLC to hopefully process a video to do this, but if I can do it straight in Reaper, that would be considerably easier.

Thanks!
vectorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorwarrior View Post
Hey folks,

I'm trying to create videos with multiple audio tracks in them, that can be selected by the user in apps like VLC. Think multiple languages or the director's commentary audio tracks, where the audio is switched out to a different version but the video remains the same.

I don't believe it's possible in Reaper currently, I had a look on the forum and saw people struggling to extract tracks beyond the main one without success... which makes me believe Reaper likely can't create them either.

Any ideas? I'm currently waiting for VLC to hopefully process a video to do this, but if I can do it straight in Reaper, that would be considerably easier.

Thanks!
I'm using FFMpeg Batch AV Converter. It extracts the audio almost instantly. I've never actually looked into embedding multiple audio streams in reaper, but I think it's safe to say that it is not possible at this time.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Eliseat

I suggest to mux it outside of Reaper. Just create your video project with the audio tracks you want, export it with only one audio track and export the other audio track without video. You then should have a video with audio track (1) and a separate audio track (2) with the same length.

Finally choose a muxing program like mkvtoolnix or mp4box to join the two files together which shouldn't take more than seconds to do.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
FixItInPost

If you're familiar with FFmpeg, the command line for "joining" 6 PCM audio streams to a single QuickTime video stream and outputting as an MKV would be:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "C:\VIDEO_FILE.mov" -i "C:\AUDIO_STREAM_1.wav" -i "C:\AUDIO_STREAM_2.wav" -i "C:\AUDIO_STREAM_3.wav" -i "C:\AUDIO_STREAM_4.wav" -i "C:\AUDIO_STREAM_5.wav" -i "C:\AUDIO_STREAM_6.wav" -map "0:v" -map "1:a" -map "2:a" -map "3:a" -map "4:a" -map "5:a" -map "6:a" -metadata:s:a:0 title="Audio Stream One" -metadata:s:a:0 title="Audio Stream One" -metadata:s:a:1 title="Audio Stream Two" -metadata:s:a:2 title="Audio Stream Three" -metadata:s:a:3 title="Audio Stream Four" -metadata:s:a:4 title="Audio Stream Five" -metadata:s:a:5 title="Audio Stream Six" -c:v copy -c:a copy -y "C:\VIDEO_WITH_6x_AUDIO_STREAMS.mkv"
The command line also includes the titling of each of the audio streams with the -metadata:s:a:0 title="Title" option. These titles will show up in VLC each time you switch audio streams.

As suggested above, you could use MKV, as this is the most flexible container format, but you can use other container formats like .MOV (QuickTime Movie file) and MP4, but you will have to ensure that the chosen container format can handle the audio and video codecs you're feeding it e.g. the MP4 container expects AAC compressed audio and h.264, h.265, AV1 video and would through up an error if you gave it h.264 video with uncompressed PCM audio. If this occurs you will have to transcode the input streams to a codec that is compatible with the required container format.
FixItInPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
vectorwarrior

Awesome, thanks for the advice folks. I managed to do it using VLC, but only with one additional audio track, without being able to name tracks, only using MKV's and there were duration adjustments (file ended up being 9 hours long!)... so these suggestions definitely sound better. Will try them out. Thanks
vectorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote