Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default LinVst - AUR best suited version for manjaro

I have switched to manjaro KDE some time ago, currently I'm still using the old compiled Debian LinVST files, now finally I have discovered LinVST in the AUR sources for Manjaro / Arch ;-)
which version would be best suited (w/ least effort) for a current Manjaro KDE 20.0.3
LinVst, LinVst-X or LinVst3?

Wine Staging 5.12
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII

Last edited by monty; 07-29-2020 at 08:50 AM.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:47 PM   #2
monty

LinVST 2.8-1 AUR
Manjaro KDE latest
Reaper AUR latest

I have a strange issue here with LinVST after installed it on manjaro from AUR ...
Could it be that it works in 64bit mode only ... shouldn't it work for 32bit and 64bit VST plugins?
After converting the VST folder, some .so files are no longer functional they also have a different file size compared to my KDE neon system.

e.g.
DVS Guitar.so
on KDE Neon
93,1 KiB (95.328)

on manjaro after converting
81,9 KiB (83.872)

I can no longer start reaper with the new VST files the system freezes.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 07-31-2020, 01:49 AM   #3
Westrabua

Re which version to use:
The "-X" versions mean they support inter-process communication (i.e. when you have VSTs that want to communicate with each other).
The "3" versions means they are for Vst3 plugins.

I'd say if the basic LinVst version worked so far in your case (because you didn't need those above features), then stick with that one.

Re does the AUR package support 32 bit?
I've had a look at the respective PKGBUILD file: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.g...=linvst-stable

Looks like they are using the 'Makefile-embed-6432', meaning the build with the 32 bit support.
So it "should" work for 32 bit VSTs as well.

Re different so-file sizes:
That's actually to be expected.
So-files are distinctive to a specific LinVst version.
One always has to make sure the all VSTs that have a so-file besides them match the installed LinVst version.

My recommendation:
I don't know your specific setup, but I'd start "clean", meaning once you have installed LinVst, "convert" all your VSTs anew.

Hint: Check out https://github.com/Goli4thus/linvstmanager . It was specifically made to make this whole setup process easier.

A.k.a Goli4thus (on github). Donate
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 AM   #4
monty

thanks!
It seems to work when I use LinVst-2.8.2-Debian-Buster.zip (embedded) w/ Manjaro.

The wine bottles were originally created on KDE neon, but work under Manjaro after winecfg has been executed.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:13 AM   #5
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
thanks!
It seems to work when I use LinVst-2.8.2-Debian-Buster.zip (embedded) w/ Manjaro.

The wine bottles were originally created on KDE neon, but work under Manjaro after winecfg has been executed.

I was just about to suggest just using the debian-buster version, I'm on manjaro & never had any luck with the manjaro or aur versions.