Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #1121
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

You need to disable MIDI editor editability following selection. Right-click the empty area of track list and see "Options when using one editor per project".
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #1122
Oberheim

Thanks. I must disable all option under "Options when using one editor per project" except last two ("Only MIDI ..." and "Close editor ..."). Then it working as I wish.
Oberheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #1123
gwok

hey, is it possible, or has there been any mention of having a notion view for inline midi items?
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #1124
EvilDragon

There wasn't any mention of that.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #1125
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There wasn't any mention of that.
Thanks, I'm surprised that it hasn't come up actually. Seems like it would be really useful for visualizing/organizing more complex/dense harmony parts and arrangements.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #1126
reddiesel41264

Not sure if this has been suggested but would there be a possibility of straight notation being played back with a swing feel?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #1127
lowellben

I've really been spending a lot of time on the notation editor recently and I have a question if something is currently possible please. It will save me a lot of time if my efforts are futile

It's probably easier if I phrase this in two parts.
First, is it possible (either by script or native to notation editor) to automatically insert dynamic markings according to the velocity of a note? For example, if I play in a C major scale in real-time, stop the recording, and go to the notation editor, can I run a script and have dynamic markings appear under note(s) like mp, mf, ff, etc. according to a velocity range?

This is absolutely huge if possible, sure it'd be overkill for a printed final draft but for a lot of us it'd allow us to eyeball at a glance the overall score and see elements clearer and faster than manually assigning as needed.

If this is not native, could a script be written?

Basically, if a note has a velocity between X and Y, put an mp marking attached to it, etc. repeat for all notes in a selected area.

I think this would be an outstanding addition. Thanks for helping with this. I can't seem to figure this out myself, sorry. I know maybe this might not be the most effective or efficient way, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Second part of question is, how can I assign a custom action to at least fast-input dynamic markings in certain areas? Fast?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #1128
lowellben

Still trying to figure out my quandary. Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #1129
EvilDragon

I think that should be possible via scripting, yeah.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #1130
michaeltonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Not sure if this has been suggested but would there be a possibility of straight notation being played back with a swing feel?
I also would love to be able to do this; I'm transcribing a ragtimey piano recording, and I'd like to be able to see straight eights but hear dotted eighth/16th pairs.
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #1131
cporro

Default export pdf options

first off, thanks so much for this feature. i was so happy to find it. i had looked a while back and it didn't exist. this makes it easy to give sheet music to a sessions player which i need to do in a week!

two things if they haven't been mentioned.

1) would be cool if the midi export to pdf ignored muted notes and key switches. (something like ignore notes below or above a certain threshold) i leave muted notes in all the time rather then delete them. it saves me time.

2) also an option to just export the measures of the midi object. my object starts at measure 70 which means 70 bars of rests.

my work around is to delete all key switches and muted notes then move the midi object to measure 1. if there is a better one i'd love to hear it.
cporro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #1132
tusitala

Hi, would it be possible to correct this behaviour that happens in the Notation editor?

look at the gif...when scrolling to select another track, the edit cursor automatically moves to the beginning of the related midi item...it would be easier and more logical if it stayed in the chosen position (for example for copy and pasting between tracks)

thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #1133
tusitala

I also reported this as a possible bug
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189206

since it's related to the Notation editor maybe it makes sense to post it here as well.
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #1134
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporro View Post
two things if they haven't been mentioned.
We can add those features. You can already hide keyswitches via "hide notes" in the context menu, which should prevent them from being exported to pdf or musicxml.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #1135
juliansader

A little bump of the niggle that I posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
A few thoughts regarding adding and removing ornaments and articulations via the rightclick menu and Action list:

The "Add x ornament/articulation" Actions, as well as the corresponding menu items in the rightclick lists, actually *toggle* the ornament/articulations, instead of simply adding the articulation/ornament. These actions get rather awkward if the selected notes happen to include notes that already have the relevant articulation or ornament.

In the rightclick menus, the "Remove ornament" options are only available when the note under the mouse has an ornament, but it actually removes ornaments from all selected notes. I think this option should be available whenever any of the selected notes have some ornament. (Similarly for "Remove articulation".)

Whether a checkmark is displayed next to an ornament/articulation in the rightclick list seems to depend on the note under the mouse, not on the rest of the selected notes. If possible, it would be nicely informative if the checkmark could adopt three different states:
1) No mark, if none of the selected notes have the ornament/articulation;
2) Checkmark, if all the selected notes have the ornament/articulation;
3) Some other mark, perhaps "?", if some but not all the selected notes have the ornament/articulation.

If only some of the selected notes have the ornament/articulation, then clicking on the menu item should add the ornament/articulation to all the notes (similar to my proposal for the "Add ornament/articulation" Actions). If all the selected notes already have the ornament/articulation (and the checkmark is therefore displayed), clicking on the menu item can remove the ornament/articulation from all the notes.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #1136
rasputin

Default "Export PDF" omits first page!

First another "me-too" -- I am thrilled this capability is being folded into Reaper. I never thought it would even be on the map. I don't need to tell anyone what a hard software problem this is.

In any case I actually get very nice results on the screen. I'm using a simple piano part, two staves.

My bug is this: when I export the notation to PDF, and open the file in Reader XI, it shows a dialog in the middle of the page: This file has an error. The PDF may not display correctly. There is an OK box which dismisses the dialog. The first page shows has the Title, and is otherwise blank. Then the second page starts with measure 7, 9, 17, etc. depending on the number of bars width I have set in the Export dialog. The remaining pages of notation render fine.

I'm hoping this is somehow easy to fix. (But of course anything's easy if you don't have to do it.)

I don't yet have XML tools to look at the XML export feature, but if that's what's going to be focused on I will start researching it.

My apologies in advance if this bug has already been reported--or it it's not a bug and I have a setting wrong somewhere.

Last edited by rasputin; 03-13-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Left out important part of the bug!
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #1137
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
when I export the notation to PDF, and open the file in Reader XI,
Does the PDF display properly when viewed with any other program (say, your internet browser)?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #1138
rasputin

Default Additional mystery on PDF rendering.

No, trying to view the PDF in Firefox also omits the first page.

HOWEVER: if I try to render OTHER parts of this arrangement to PDFs (one track at a time) IT DOES NOT GIVE AN ERROR! Prints first and subsequent pages fine.

Only the piano track does. Very strange. Moved it to other postion in track list, checked with event editor to see if anything but notes in it, haven't yet figured it out. Still writes a "defective" PDF that omits first page. But other tracks in the song print out fine!

So obviously I should be able to create a small new empty track and start moving portions of the suspect track to it until I figure out what's wrong. Once I get some time in the next few days I will do this.

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #1139
schwa
Administrator

If you have something that we could use to reproduce the problem, feel free to post it here, or email to support at cockos.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #1140
amagalma

Default Wrong beaming of sixteenth tuplets

wanted behaviour when running the action:

Reaper 5.35 x86, Windows 7 x64
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #1141
rasputin

Default PDF Notation export problem - workaround found

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If you have something that we could use to reproduce the problem, feel free to post it here, or email to support at cockos.
Thanks for your support as always, schwa.

It turns out that my problem is some kind of outlier. There must be something wrong with the original MIDI file I imported to create the project. I created a project using a different type 2 MIDI file, and did not get the error message in Reader XI and missing first page.

I worked around the problem for the original MIDI file by creating a new empty track in the arrangement, selecting the MIDI event block in the original track and copying it to the new track. Voila, this fixed the problem. Just copying the track as an object did not fix it; you had to insert the copied events into an empty track.

If you're interested, I have a detailed explanation, screen shot of Reader XI error, analysis of "broken" MIDI file, etc. available if you want it.

Best regards
Tim S.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #1142
cporro

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We can add those features. You can already hide keyswitches via "hide notes" in the context menu, which should prevent them from being exported to pdf or musicxml.
great. thx! i will look for hide notes in the context menu. : )
cporro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #1143
juliansader

Contents -> "All media items are editable in notation view":

* When activated, no check mark is displayed next to the option in the dropdown menu. EDIT: Fixed in v5.50!

* The Option does not have a corresponding Action in the Actions list (that I could find).

Clicking on track name to change active track:

* If I click on the track name (that is displayed vertically next to the staff) to change the active track, it causes all other tracks that were previously editable to revert to being merely visible. I suggest that it would be better if changing the active track only affects the previously active and newly active tracks, and does not affect any of the other tracks' states. EDIT: Fixed in v5.50!

Last edited by juliansader; 03-29-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #1144
reddiesel41264

Default step input deselect

I think I may have asked/requested this already but I can't find my post about it so...

Is there an option to stop each note that is step inputted from being added to the selection? If not could we have one please?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #1145
lalo

Hi guys,
i don't know if i should post in request section or here.
About drums/percussion notation three things would be great.

1. Select all the notes with the same pitch
2. Change noteheads of all selected notes
3. Map the display of all selected notes to another pitch (useful for sampled drums mapping nightmares :-) )

a.
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #1146
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo View Post
1. Select all the notes with the same pitch
In the piano roll view, right-click on the keyboard to select notes. In the notation view, use either of these actions:
* Edit: Select all notes at pitch cursor (the pitch cursor is the little arrow to the right of the staff, and you can drag it up and down)
* Select all notes with same pitch

(There is also a mouse modifier action "Select note and all later notes of the same pitch".)

Quote:
2. Change noteheads of all selected notes
Select notes -> Right click -> Note head -> Selected notes

Last edited by juliansader; 04-20-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #1147
lalo

Quote:
In the piano roll view, right-click on the keyboard to select notes. In the notation view, use either of these actions:
* Edit: Select all notes at pitch cursor
* Select all notes with same pitch

Select notes -> Right click -> Note head -> Selected notes
cool! thanks.
so that means that 3. could be a request?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #1148
juliansader

Quote:
cool! thanks.
so that means that 3. could be a request?
I am not quite sure that I understand point 3, but perhaps you can try the JSFX IX/MIDI_KeyMap to map pitches?

In the Notation editor and special MIDI handling thread, there is lots of discussion about drum notation. I don't think drum notation has been finalized yet, so they would welcome suggestions.

EDIT: After browsing through the afore-mentioned thread again, I realized that ijijn's Drummapper might be exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited by juliansader; 04-20-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #1149
lalo

Quote:
I am not quite sure that I understand point 3, but perhaps you can try the JSFX IX/MIDI_KeyMap to map pitches?

In the Notation editor and special MIDI handling thread, there is lots of discussion about drum notation. I don't think drum notation has been finalized yet, so they would welcome suggestions.
Many thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #1150
reddiesel41264

Default staff/stave spacing

Can we adjust the stave spacing in the notation editor? For a big score I'd like to be able to see all my tracks clearly when zoomed out, like I can in Musescore or Sibelius but in Reaper I'm finding the stave spacing is quite large and reduces the number of staves I can see at once.

I also noticed that when zoomed out the rendering quality seems to be lower and it's harder to read the notation and markings clearly.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #1151
hamish

Quote:
Can we adjust the stave spacing in the notation editor?
You can, from memory on windows it is <Ctrl>+ mouse scroll wheel
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #1152
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
You can, from memory on windows it is <Ctrl>+ mouse scroll wheel
That just zooms in and out - do I have to place the mouse somewhere specific?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #1153
hamish

Sorry I didn't read you clearly before.

Scroll wheel changes zoom.

<Ctrl>+ scroll wheel changes staff line spacing.

I don't think there is currently any user control over stave spacing
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #1154
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Sorry I didn't read you clearly before.

Scroll wheel changes zoom.

<Ctrl>+ scroll wheel changes staff line spacing.

I don't think there is currently any user control over stave spacing
You must have a different setup to me, ctrl+scroll zooms, and scrolling on its own doesn't do anything on my system. Do you know the name's of the actions you have those mouse modifiers triggering? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #1155
reddiesel41264

The real problem I'm having is readability. Even fully zoomed out in Musescore I can still clearly read the notation but in Reaper zooming out to the max (which doesn't allow me to view the full score for a large score) makes it unreadable.

Here are examples from Musescore and Reaper, both showing 17 staves, you can see that Reaper is very unreadable compared to Musescore. Is there anything that can improve this currently? Maybe swapping out a font or something...

Musescore - http://i64.tinypic.com/2uzt1qv.png
Reaper - http://i63.tinypic.com/rms02d.png
Old 05-07-2017, 01:33 AM   #1156
hamish

Quote:
Do you know the name's of the actions you have those mouse modifiers triggering? Thanks.
Sorry so late getting back, I've been away. As you know there is no 'Notation' context for mouse modifiers or actions, supposedly all actions are the same as Piano Roll.

In Piano roll context the actions are called 'horizontal zoom' and 'vertical zoom'.

In notation editor the 'vertical zoom' is effectively staff line spacing. (And 'horizontal zoom' effectively zooms both horizontally and vertically in notation, but only horizontally in piano roll)

Looking at your images of REAPER and MuseScore, the REAPER staves look like they are zoomed out too much vertically.

It would be nice to also have stave spacing control though.

Last edited by hamish; 05-07-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #1157
Oberheim

There are two zooms.
Ctrl + mouse wheel = zoom in / out || or zoom horizontal
Alt + mouse wheel = zoom in / out || or zoom vertical
horzintal or vertical zoom is when you start zoom vertical (alt + m.w.) i think.

And if you are working on larger pieces, make special tracks where you'll controll more instruments with one. For example:
Track Woodwinds
Channel 1 - Flute 1
Ch2 - Fl2
Ch3 - Ob1
... etc.

Last edited by Oberheim; 05-07-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:29 AM   #1158
reddiesel41264

Thanks guys
Old 05-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #1159
reddiesel41264

Is it possible that when you click on a staff it becomes the active staff for entering notes? Currently I have to click the staff name or select the track. For staff markings and copying and pasting though it seems to work just by clicking the staff already....
Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #1160
Oberheim

Yes. I dont know how is your set up, but this is mine:
Show TrackList on notation view > Right click on it > and check "All media items are editable on notation view"
Option When using one editor per project > all is active except two options - Selection is linked to visibility and editability.

With this option you can draw notes on every displayed track without selecting track.
If you want paste, simply click above desired track (light yellow rectangle appear and cursor change to like for edit text), track position will change and then paste copied material.