Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
gkevin9
Human being with feelings

Default i5 Creation Station - Reaper Freezes

So, I'm running a 2010 i5 CREATION STATION with 16 gigs RAM and REAPER freezes after a few minutes or up to an hour of use. Very low track count and effect use. The transport freezes - no play. When this happens I can't log off reaper but I can minimize and jump on the internet and use other functions. Reloading reaper does not fix. I have to reboot the system and reaper will load up again for a half an hour or longer - it seems like it usually takes a dump when I leave it idle for more than 10 minutes.

I know the computer is ancient but it has had very little use. I've only started putting any real hours on it in the last 12 months. Anyone experienced similar symptoms??

Last edited by gkevin9; 03-19-2019 at 10:09 PM.
gkevin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums.

You havent said what you are using for an audio/MIDI interface with reaper. If you are trying to do this with the onboard sound card in your computer & especially if you have found out about ASIO4ALL and are using that, this is most likely a LOT to do with your problem.
Are you on Win10? What plugins are you using when Repaer dies on you?

I hope you already checked out the free user guide and the excellent free video tutorials at reaper.fm?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
gkevin9

Default Reaper Freezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums.

You havent said what you are using for an audio/MIDI interface with reaper. If you are trying to do this with the onboard sound card in your computer & especially if you have found out about ASIO4ALL and are using that, this is most likely a LOT to do with your problem.
Are you on Win10? What plugins are you using when Repaer dies on you?

I hope you already checked out the free user guide and the excellent free video tutorials at reaper.fm?
Yes, sorry, I knew i'd be leaving out key info:

Windows 7
FOCUSRITE LIQUID SAFFIRE 56 interface

I can't pin it to a specific effect but I use the Focusrite reverb and compression on most tracks.

I have checked out the user guides and many tutorials especially as I was having recorded audio drop out problems. I have since dialed in my ASIO buffers to a point where its not too much of a problem.

So, I am using the focusrite and not a soundcard but I do have one installed. Is it possible I have that running as well somehow and causing problems that way? ASIO4all sounds familiar and may be a site I visited a few years back when trying to dial in my buffers.

Thanks for any ideas...

Last edited by gkevin9; 03-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Stella645

Maybe you already know about this but if not check you use the correct fw driver in WIn and also that your card has compatible chipset.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...ith-Windows-7-

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...Saffire-range-
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
gkevin9

Default SOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Maybe you already know about this but if not check you use the correct fw driver in WIn and also that your card has compatible chipset.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...ith-Windows-7-

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...Saffire-range-
After reading IVANSC's answer. I checked my interface drivers and it turns out focusrite had a glitch in the driver I was using. From the focusrite website:

"Saffire Mix Control 3.7

Includes a fix for Saffire interfaces that would not retain their Sync Source in standalone mode.

Includes a fix for OS X users seeing the "No Hardware Connected" message and experiencing disconnects on account of there being 2 drivers installed (after the 3.5/3.6 upgrade)."

Downloaded the latest version and was able to walk away from reaper, come back hours later and start right up again with no reboot. That was an impossibility yesterday so I am hopeful it is solved. Thanks very much.