Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #201
Kundalinguist
Human being with feelings

Just watching your videos now, Kenny. They're really helpful in covering areas of preferences that I'd never had the patience to explore. I'm also glad your voice is well suited for this work because I've cringed while watching some tutorials because of a narrator's shortcomings. Excellent and meaningful content. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #202
Renan L.B

I'm really late to the party here but would just like to reinforce this: Kenny don't even bother with the folks trying to persuade you to to slow down your pace for future tutorials, be who you are and that's it. No amount of coffee can keep me focused as your tutorials do, they are energic, fresh, cool and they have an AWESOME vibe because of that. Mostly other tutorials i see i feel sleepy and don't pay attention as much. I'm Brazillian and my english accent/typing REALLY sux nowadays LOL (i was way better when i was in my teen days) but to my ears your tutorials ROCK! ;] keep bringing the good stuff!

Last edited by Renan L.B; 08-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Renan L.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #203
Rayman50

Default Just what the doctor ordered,,,,,,THANKS MUCH

This is what I needed. I have been teaching myself REAPER since about v1.85 or so. Having never worked with recording software. I stumbled around until one day I saw post on a board suggesting REAPER to a frustrated newbie like me. I checked it out and been here since. Seeing a lot of the things I've read about on this board and, in the manual, and in the change logs with each of the tons of updates puts it all together for me. Thanks to you and all those who have built this DAW, and those who add to it on there own. And those who offer advise on this great brain trust of a forum.

Ray
Rayman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #204
moliere

Bought this the other day, and pretty stoked with it. Got through 2 tutorials and learned a couple of new things.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #205
benmrx

I've got a quick question in regards to the "fades and crossfades" video.

When you're showing the command for "crossfade selected items within time selection", you're able to right-click and have the 'selection' follow the area you've clicked. I can't seem to find that preference. When I right-click over two items like that, it's only selecting those items, but not creating any kind of time selection. I did notice that those tutorials were made with an older version of Reaper, so I'm hoping this kind of edit can still be performed.... I'm a long time PT user as well, and am quite used to simply hitting the "f" key to crossfade items/regions.
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #206
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmrx View Post
I've got a quick question in regards to the "fades and crossfades" video.

When you're showing the command for "crossfade selected items within time selection", you're able to right-click and have the 'selection' follow the area you've clicked. I can't seem to find that preference. When I right-click over two items like that, it's only selecting those items, but not creating any kind of time selection. I did notice that those tutorials were made with an older version of Reaper, so I'm hoping this kind of edit can still be performed.... I'm a long time PT user as well, and am quite used to simply hitting the "f" key to crossfade items/regions.
Probably the most important preference in the whole program for doing any audio editing at a remotely efficient pace!

AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #207
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Probably the most important preference in the whole program for doing any audio editing at a remotely efficient pace!

Thank you kind sir! There's just so many preferences in this program.... which is awsome, but a little daunting when first getting started.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #208
Kenny Gioia

Thanks Adam.

One of the hardest things about making Reaper Tutorials was deciding what preferences to have on/off.

I did my best to show preferences as I moved along but I think I might have missed this one.

It's really hard to keep track of it all.

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #209
HIO

Quote:
Thank you kind sir! There's just so many preferences in this program.... which is awsome, but a little daunting when first getting started.
Wait till you download the SWS extentions.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #210
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
Wait till you download the SWS extentions.
I already have...... maybe that's why it seems so daunting. I was under the impression that Reaper was only half of what it could be without SWS... so I downloaded it on the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia
Thanks Adam.

One of the hardest things about making Reaper Tutorials was deciding what preferences to have on/off.

I did my best to show preferences as I moved along but I think I might have missed this one.

It's really hard to keep track of it all.

Thanks
Kenny... have you thought doing a full blown "MIDI in Reaper" tutorial series... or maybe find someone that's a MIDI+Reaper guru and have them do one for Groove3? Obviously I'de love to see a "Tips 'n Tricks" series for Reaper.. but I'de also love to see something dedicated to MIDI functions. Reaper is so great.. but honestly seems like it's 're-inventing the wheel' a bit.... IMO, pretty much nothing is very intuitive...
Old 08-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #211
kerryg

Default Hey Kenny -

I've been working through the videos. Dude, you're knocking it out of the park - it's already streamlined my workflow. Thanks!
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #212
antijazzabuse

Default Linux

What version of linux supports Reaper?
antijazzabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #213
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by antijazzabuse View Post
What version of linux supports Reaper?
I'm running it under Ubuntu 10.04 with no difficulty except a bit of graphic sluggishness compared to my OSX and XP installs of Reaper.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #214
Chris DC

Default Not able to record

Like many posters, I am new to the software. I am using Windows XP with a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface. I am trying to record some guitar, but I cannot even get the levels to register. I have gone through the preferences and set Saffire as the proper methpd for recording, yet I am faced with silence. If someone could give me the quick and dirty on how to set this up, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Chris DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #215
Kundalinguist

Hi Chris, welcome to Reaperville. Just wanted to let you know this thread is for Kenny's videos and not necessarily for getting help with your setup. You might want to try reposting or having this post moved to the main forum so that we don't hijack Kenny's efforts.

Someone will come along and help you. I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DC View Post
Like many posters, I am new to the software....

... If someone could give me the quick and dirty on how to set this up, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #216
Nobus

Hi Kenny,

I just finished watching the entire series and can sum it up in one word: BRILLIANT!

The best $40 I ever spent.

Nobus
Nobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #217
Chris DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Hi Chris, welcome to Reaperville. Just wanted to let you know this thread is for Kenny's videos and not necessarily for getting help with your setup. You might want to try reposting or having this post moved to the main forum so that we don't hijack Kenny's efforts.

Someone will come along and help you. I promise.
Word. I figured it out. Sorry to muck up the works. I am totally digging this program!!!
Chris DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #218
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DC View Post
Word. I figured it out. Sorry to muck up the works. I am totally digging this program!!!
Glad to hear it, Chris. You might want to consider Kenny's instructional DVD. Very good actually - not just plugging a product here, I bought it myself.

Many helpful things here as well:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/resources.php
Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #219
fredv

Kenny, i've just finished looking at the videos i had bought..
only thing i can say is : "Waouh ! when will the next volume be released ?"

it's really really useful even for an old Reaper user like me .. many tips i had never seen

and as a french guy, i feel your accent is really nice to understand

thanks again, and i hope you'll make new tutorials about reaper or near-reaper stuff
fredv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #220
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Kenny... have you thought doing a full blown "MIDI in Reaper" tutorial series... or maybe find someone that's a MIDI+Reaper guru and have them do one for Groove3? Obviously I'de love to see a "Tips 'n Tricks" series for Reaper.. but I'de also love to see something dedicated to MIDI functions. Reaper is so great.. but honestly seems like it's 're-inventing the wheel' a bit.... IMO, pretty much nothing is very intuitive...
Can you give me an idea of what topics you'd like to see discussed in a "Midi in Reaper" tutorial?

My needs are so modest in Midi that I may not be the best person to do it but I wouldn't mind getting the framework for what you need.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #221
Kenny Gioia

Thanks for all the support.

I wanted to post my theme for anyone who cares to use it after watching the videos.

http://snipr.com/10sqm0-rfr

Just drop it into the "ColorThemes" folder

It's just the default with a few sections a bit lighter.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #222
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Thanks for all the support....
I wanted to post my theme for anyone who cares to use it after watching the videos.
Thanks for the theme Kenny.

Now what about the FX Chain for the voice over? What plugins did you use to get that accent?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #223
gregs

Quote:
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper Tutorials.

Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
Thank you very much for sharing this tutorials with us. I appreciate your continued support and updated information.
Am looking on how to get them past my club mates to keep them upfront with great news.
directtohomeappliances reviews, chooseoutdoorkitchens.com
gregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #224
Reepicheep

I'm new to this forum and new to REAPER but I have enjoyed and learned a lot from Kenny's previous videos. I had never considered REAPER before. I bought REAPER Explained about a week and a half ago. I bought REAPER and a copy of ReaMix a few days later. I am watching and reading and absorbing all this fascinating stuff.

The learning curve IS steep initially, but the more I learn, the more I realize how brilliant REAPER is. There is no going back to my previous DAW.

I am very fired up!
Reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #225
DBMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reepicheep View Post
I'm new to this forum and new to REAPER but I have enjoyed and learned a lot from Kenny's previous videos. I had never considered REAPER before. I bought REAPER Explained about a week and a half ago. I bought REAPER and a copy of ReaMix a few days later. I am watching and reading and absorbing all this fascinating stuff.

The learning curve IS steep initially, but the more I learn, the more I realize how brilliant REAPER is. There is no going back to my previous DAW.

I am very fired up!
That story's just getting old!

Regards,

DB
Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #226
surfsup

I just watched the sample and have to say initially I was thinking..."10 mins for zooming and panning?" but after watching was very glad I did. I plan to get the vids. I learned quite a bit as an occasional user that will definitely get rid of some of the frustration when I am editing. I saw many commands I didn't know about in that video.

One thing though, when you show how to use the +/- sign to increase/decrease the peak display heights, you didn't show if there was a way to just jump back to "normal". I'm assuming there isn't?
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #227
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsup View Post

One thing though, when you show how to use the +/- sign to increase/decrease the peak display heights, you didn't show if there was a way to just jump back to "normal". I'm assuming there isn't?
Do you mean Shift + Up and Shift + Down?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #228
spaids

Default ARRRGGGG!

you drive me a little farther insane every time you say "squiggle" key.

Its called a Tilde key ARRRGGGG!

I am going to go pull the rest of my hair out and then further admire your very awesome video.

Thanks
spaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #229
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaids View Post
you drive me a little farther insane every time you say "squiggle" key.

Its called a Tilde key ARRRGGGG!

I am going to go pull the rest of my hair out and then further admire your very awesome video.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Ohhhh... you mean "tilde" LOL
Squiggle is definitely more descriptive! :P

.t
In making my videos, I had some trouble figuring out the proper way of pronouncing "tilde" as many sources disagreed. So I went with Squiggle.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/4269.htm

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question...9054150AASarlR
Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #230
EddieRoss

Default Wow,Just got these!

I'm sure by now you al know these are great. Going to stay up all night watching them. Just one question, what version of REAPER were you useing for them.
Would help me to be on the same page. Again great work!
Oh, cause I sure Kenny is busy so if any other can fill me in that would help me alot. Thx, And long live REAPER!! E.
EddieRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #231
GH23

Kenny THANK YOU for making these tutorials. I am transitioning from Protools to Reaper and this has made it so much easier. There is MUCH more to Reaper than I first thought. I am loving it. It just WORKS. Keep making these videos. Thanks again.
GH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #232
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieRoss View Post
I'm sure by now you al know these are great. Going to stay up all night watching them. Just one question, what version of REAPER were you useing for them.
Would help me to be on the same page. Again great work!
Oh, cause I sure Kenny is busy so if any other can fill me in that would help me alot. Thx, And long live REAPER!! E.
I believe is was in the Reaper 3.5xxx era.

The one noticeable thing that has changed from the videos is when I mention that I have "Trim Content Behind Media Items When Editing" and "Trim Content Behind Media Items When Recording" turned on most of the time. And I mention that in the video. But the "Recording" option has been moved to the "New Recording That Overlaps Existing Media Items" sub menu.

Thanks for the support.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #233
chrisharbin

I just want to make sure that I extend thanks as this tutorial has been terrific.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #234
Kundalinguist

Quote:
I believe is was in the Reaper 3.5xxx era.
Boy, those were the good old days. You could walk safely down the street at night and you knew who your neighbors were. <sigh>
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #235
doctord02

Default new

New poster, tho I've been lurking for a while... I just bought my Reaper license after dabbling off and on for a few months.

Kenny, these look awesome - I just purchased the package after seeing the demo. Exactly the sort of thing to get me up and running while I'm reading Geoff's books for the details.

More please...

:-)

Dave
doctord02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #236
lxm

any plans for new vids?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #237
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
any plans for new vids?
Absolutely.

I have "Tips and Tricks in Reaper" queued and waiting right now.

With Reaper 4 announced, it would be silly to make a Tips and Tricks using Reaper 3 so it's going to be released just after Reaper 4 hits the streets.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #238
Kundalinguist

You are the grooviest, Kenny. Looking forward to your DAW wisdom.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #239
ivansc

On a point of order, it is NOT tilde, it`s a Schmookie.

My daughter said so.
Her word is law.

P.S. Till Dee
Or is it Till Der?

Last edited by ivansc; 10-28-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: I carnt spel
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #240
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

P.S. Till Dee
Or is it Till Der?
I believe its... 'Til-day' (if I remember the correct pronunciation from spanish class over 40 years ago).