Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Default Yosemite worth it?

I still haven't been able to decide if I should update to Yosemite or not...Mavericks is working fine for me, I can use Reaper and do development work (using XCode 6.1) without any particular issues. I wouldn't particularly enjoy it if either of those things broke when doing the update.

Yosemite seems to be all about features that have to do with integrating with iOs and a new GUI theme that I have no strong opinion about. (The iOs stuff is meaningless for me, I don't own a recent enough iOs device nor am I planning on getting one.)

All that considered, is Yosemite worth it? Or do I just wait for the next summer and see what OS-X 10.11 will be about?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
jpanderson80

My experience:
I had zero problems with Reaper, drivers, or plugins. Then my hardrive crashed. Yosemite came with the new drive and I've experienced issues off and on with all three of the above culprits. It's not been enough to stop my work completely, but frustrating, given my previous experience. I don't care much about the GUI theme either. I just want a solid music machine.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:14 AM   #3
statue

Zero problems for me as well.
I did a clean install of Yosemite and my 2011 iMac is working better than ever (updated from Lion).
statue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Works better than Mavericks for me!

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
MusicGenerator

I develop applications and sell them on Apple Mac store. To make sure that my applications will run on the latest version of OS X, I had to be updated. Also I develop plug-ins and engaged in the production of music. I have not yet met strong challenges and everything works fine on Yosemite. There were a few plug-ins from third-party developers who have not worked but then they quickly updated and right now an zero problems.
MusicGenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
ponk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
All that considered, is Yosemite worth it? Or do I just wait for the next summer and see what OS-X 10.11 will be about?
Wait - there are summers in Finland??
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
Wait - there are summers in Finland??
Sure, short and hot summers...

So well, it kind of looks like Yosemite really isn't worth it for me. (It looks like XCode 6.3 will require Yosemite, though, so maybe if that XCode offers anything for C++ development, I might update...)
Old 06-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Xenakios

Finally did the "upgrade". So far Yosemite doesn't seem to be even worth the time it took to download the installer and installing it. A very uninteresting OS update. (Luckily so far everything I need working is working, though.)

Unfortunately OS-X 10.11 is going to be more of the same, there isn't going to be anything particularly interesting in that either. Maybe Apple feels there isn't anything to add to their desktop OS? Or they just don't want to think about anything new for the desktop machines since they seem to be so much about the mobile gadgets now...Well, at least the OS-X updates are free.

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-14-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
dfackler

I'm a big "ain't broke, don't fix" subscriber. Sometimes the added "features" cause more troubles.

We all have examples of favorite applications which quit working after some type of upgrade.

So, thanks to all who are first into the upgrade abyss! Your experiences help the rest of us decide.

D
dfackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
vanhaze

For me , after a clean install of 10.10, on my macbook, everything felt snappier, than OSX's before.

I have totally no complains about 10.10, runs very smooth, no strange thangs/bugs for me.
I am very, very happy with it.
Reaper 50pre version runs slick on it.

I ALWAYS do a CLEAN install of a major OSX upgrade, i don't mind installing everything from scratch, call it a hobby.
Most people choose the short way, just UPGRADING from OSX A to OSX B; don't ever do that !!

I love OSX, i love 10.10 and 10.11 will even got better.
Yes, indeed, i will do a CLEAN install of 10.11 :0)

Macbook early 2011, 8 gigs RAM, Crucial 960M SSD, 1 terabyte.
Very happy Apple user.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
jerome_oneil

It works great for me, but I have seen (personally) where some VST interfaces won't respond. Melda and I want to say NI. There was a thread on that a while ago.

Here it is...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=159637
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote