Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Joe90
Human being with feelings

Default Midi overdub mode not working when 'Items always replace earlier items' selected

Not sure if this should go in newbieland or bug reports... I wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

When 'Items always replace earlier items' is checked in the project settings window, midi overdub does not work as expected. You cannot hear the part you are playing, only the part that's already been recorded. I understand this settings means items don't overlap, but it seems overdubbing should override this behaviour, no?

Last edited by Joe90; 08-19-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Joe90

Further to this - What I really need is a way to globally set all midi items to 'always mix' and everything else to one of the other two - is this possible? I'm surprised this has not come up more often as this is fairly standard behaviour for most other DAW's I believe. Midi parts on top of each other should play together, audio parts should not. I appreciate that Reaper provides options per item, and is much more flexible in this respect and that's great, but if I can't set defaults for audio and midi items individually then it's more of a hindrance than a help. Especially when I can't overdub on the same track because an item that's already there is taking priority over what I'm trying to play live or vice versa.

If there is not an option I've just missed, then could it be scripted?

Apologies for all the queries, I'm an experienced producer but I'm new to Reaper and quite captivated with the potential for so many workflow improvements once I've got it setup to my liking - I've managed to figure out a lot of what I need just browsing around on this forum, youtube, or the manual, but there are so many options and different terminologies that sometimes it's impossible to know what to even search for.

Cheers.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 AM   #3
Joe90

Nobody?

So everyone who works with midi is just keeping their project settings to 'always mix'? I'd be surprised at that...

Or you're all just making a new track each time you want to overdub? Very quick and easy to do in reaper admittedly, but a bit irritating when you're trying to glue your parts together into one and they're all scattered across different tracks, especially since you can't place them on top of each other and glue unless 'always mix' is enabled.

I see that there is a shortcut for 'set item properties to 'always mix', it also seems that Reaper is able to differentiate between a midi item and audio, so it seems like it should be possible to make a script that runs at startup, and makes all midi items 'always mix' by default?

I also understand you can set it work protools style, so placing an audio item on top of another actually removes whatever is underneath, but that's not what I'm looking for - I'd like to be able to have audio items on top of others and only the top one will ever play, but if I peel back then I can see and hear the audio underneath. The 'Always replace' item mix option provides this, but messes up midi layering and overdubbing, meaning I would have to manually change every midi items behaviour.