Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-10-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
aklab
Human being with feelings

Default Applied Acoustics Systems' AAS Player crashing Reaper

Hey everyone, I've been using the AAS Player and their assorted sound packs for years, but last fall Reaper started crashing whenever I tried to add the plugin OR load an old project with those plugins. Huge pain. I eventually retrieved the old projects by loading offline, removing the plugins, then replacing with something that sounded similar.

Since then, I got a new computer, fresh installs of Reaper and all plugins, and it still happens! What's weird is that very occasionally it won't crash. Maybe 1 out of 10 tries, it'll load the plugin and I can record a line and freeze the track.

I've tried isolating every variable. Changed plugin directories, changed various settings in Reaper, changed Windows settings, etc., and just can't figure it out. The one constant seems to be if I insert AAS Player on the first track in a brand new project, it doesn't crash. If it's anywhere else it crashes (9 times out of 10 -- which is risky, because if I save it that project will only load 1 out of 10 times).

This is the only plugin I've ever had crash Reaper in 8 years. Any ideas?

Oh, and I don't think hardware is the issue. Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, 11th-gen i7, running on an SSD.
aklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:46 PM   #2
Softsynth

Try downloading the latest version from AAS website, hopefully that should do it. Otherwise -

Convoluted solution, but very significant upgrade! -

Korg Nanokontrol is a cheap 'n' cheerful little control surface. It also comes with a big bundle of software. "Session" versions of the synths your AAS "Player" is running:

https://korg-license-center.com/

You could then upgrade in the summer AAS 50% off sale when they have one soon. They have several sales throughout the year anyway, Plugin Boutique etc too. Often you have to scroll to the bottom of the page and get your upgrade offer which is a fraction of the retail price, then in the summer sale it is half that.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:51 AM   #3
aklab

Softsynth, I already tried grabbing the newest installer, but AAS support did tell me yesterday that they're releasing a maintenance update next week with some Reaper-specific bug fixes. So I'll try again then.

I know the AAS Player is kind of dumbed-down, but it's great for when I'm quickly putting down a new song idea because it prevents me from endless tweaking and fine-tuning (which I get lost in). Then later when the track structure is built up I'll often go back and replace it with something in Dexed or Vital that I can spend hours messing with.

That said, Nanokontrol looks really fun! I do have a birthday that ends in "0" coming up...
aklab is offline   Reply With Quote