Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 AM   #201
fester2000
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags3d View Post
Hey Guys,

Here's my mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7589359/oF_F...y%20Wagner.mp3

I had a blast working on this. Let me know what you think. It's funny, I've been walking around all week singing this song.
It is good material to work with, eh? Wait until you hear some of their other stuff - Dichotomy and Gummie Bear are both truly amazing songs.

FYI, I added your mix to the collection in my post.

Cheers,

Fester2k
fester2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #202
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni View Post
I'll take a listen to all these today or tomorrow and let you all know what I think.

One last thing I noticed the other day, was that during the heavy bridge the cymbals seem to disappear.

I think some of the hits are not triggering a cymbal in your drum program but some are. So the steady beat of cymbals is missing. I had to double check on other mixes but I'm pretty sure that's what's happening.

anyways, I'll check in with you guys later!

BTW, we didn't win anything last night so back to be poor. lol
Hey Omni, I'm a bit late onto this.... but really liked what I heard of "After All" - looking forward to hearing the next go and having a mix of it :-) When do you plan to start with the next song?
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #203
fester2000

Default A modest proposal

Well I was going to do some listening notes for all the mixes, so I imported all of them into Reaper.

But having listened to all the mixes, each has its own unique element that I can't see the project not using. So I thought I'd just do a mix of all the mixes. I mean, why choose when you don't have to?

I've panned each one across the stereo field, using my expert ears and superpro VSTs that you aren't allowed to use.

Don't say anything bad about my mashup mix or I will respond with arrogance and a condescending tone, and I will be ruler of all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7519328/Afte...l%20Mashup.mp3

Honestly it didn't sound as horrible as I thought it might.

Cheers,

Fester2k
fester2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #204
Evan

Even though I played with the mix a bit, and got some ideas down, I didn't have the time to finish it the way I wanted it to be.

If you've found the mixing engineer of your choice for your album, then I wish you good luck with your band. The music is very good.

If you offer more tracks for public mixing, then I might have another go at it.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #205
Omni

I apologize if these are not in depth enough for each you but I can only listen to my song so many times before I start to tune some stuff out. I've already heard it a million times lol

You all did a killer job and I hope you had fun even if you weren't trying out "for the job."

My next song is Elemental. I just mixed it a couple weeks ago so it'll be easiest to go back through and make dry tracks out of.

Fester2k
Much better. Doesn't have that hollow sound this time around
Nice and clean
Cool delay on vox into the bridge
Muy Bien!

Wags3d
Bass drum sounds good.
stutter editing was a good shot but doesn't have quite enough editing to make take it over the top..
You might try copying the snare track and pitching it down then blending it in for a deeper snare sound-it's a bit thin in your mix.
Cool delay effect coming out of the bridge!

Kainz
bass drum is nice and beefy/slappy for a solid verse and driving beat.
Verse vocals are a little "separated" from the mix-you seem to be using the original ones that were replaced later. My fault so don't feel like you need to replace them.
Chorus vox could come up a a bit but have a good ambience on them.
Definitely one of the best mixes overall with the exception of the vox being too quiet. Nice and present.

Coerce
The mix is lacking in bass guitar quite a bit. nice stutter editing though. Bass drum sounds good. The snare sticks out a bit too much. is that a gated reverb?
I like how loud the background vocals are.
I've always considered leaving the delay on the bridge riff-kinda sounds cool.
cool idea with replacing the piano with synth stuff lol the organ is very cool

shawnguess
Good blend on the mix. I think the bass drum and snare could come out a little more, especially in the verse. The beat is really the driving force of the song for most people. The compromise you made makes the guitars come out a lot though, which also has a lot of drive in it so it's a tough call.
I think some of the cymbals get lost in the soft bridge portion. Hard to say. probably another drum mapping issue.
We like the delay on the big after all scream but when he changes notes it doesn't sound good. Haven't figure out any advice to help that other than using envelopes to drop the level of the delay each time. that'd be a pain in the ass though.

Lastrite
Again, one of the top mixes here. Really really good stuff.

Reno-thestraws
Took me a little time to find the post with a usable link again. the megauploads ones say no bueno.
The vocals seem a little too on top of the mix overall. The chorus is better though.
I think you were the one who put some odd stuff in the background that really gave it some character and made you try to hear what the hell was in there.
I still don't know what musical problems you were trying to hide with the "gunshots" though. Of course I could have missed something when redoing all that stuff.
I also like the piano being pitched an octave up.

folkrav
This one is a good clean mix but it was missing the second verse lines. The bass drum could use a little more bass and cut out the mids some more for a thump/slap. The guitars sound really good and it's definitely a usable mix.

BubbaGump
Great stuff. A couple little things to adjust here and there but overall you're one of the top 2.

From listening to all of these, I think we'd probably like to speak with BubbaGump, Lastrite, and possibly Kainz about doing the rest depending on price. Your mixes were not only clear but had a special character to the tone. That's not including the special tracks you worked in on my suggestions. In the end your mixes sound the most professional and I'm looking forward to hearing how the rest of my tunes can come out with your magic ears.

Since we didn't win any prize money from the battle of the bands, price is unfortunately a big factor for me again I'm currently selling some things on craigslist so hopefully that'll help pay for this. So Bubba, Lastrite and Kainz, if you could PM me your desired price for 3 more songs (if I use all of you) 5 more (if I use 2 of you) and 9 more songs (it's all you baby!) I would really appreciate it.

If anyone else has stuff to post up the next couple of days I'll take a listen too. I've got a couple months of work ahead of me redoing everything.

Well, time to set up some PA cabs so I can sell them when the guy gets here.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #206
d.bop

Well, here's mine. I think I did "okay" for never mixing this type of music before. It was definitely great practice!

Like everyone else, I had a lot of fun working on this song. If you decide to post your next one, I'll be giving that one a go too!

I can't wait to hear the final album!

*oops forgot the link.. hang on..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4088115/afterall-dbop.mp3
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #207
Lastrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Even though I played with the mix a bit, and got some ideas down, I didn't have the time to finish it the way I wanted it to be.

If you've found the mixing engineer of your choice for your album, then I wish you good luck with your band. The music is very good.

If you offer more tracks for public mixing, then I might have another go at it.
Damn! I was looking forward to hearing your take on this For no apparent reason I was expecting you to make all of us look like amateurs...
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #208
Lastrite

Shawnguess' mix was my favorite btw. I'm actually surprised he's not even in the top-3... Then again: not my call of course
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #209
shawnguess

Quote:
shawnguess
Good blend on the mix. I think the bass drum and snare could come out a little more, especially in the verse. The beat is really the driving force of the song for most people. The compromise you made makes the guitars come out a lot though, which also has a lot of drive in it so it's a tough call.
I think some of the cymbals get lost in the soft bridge portion. Hard to say. probably another drum mapping issue.
We like the delay on the big after all scream but when he changes notes it doesn't sound good. Haven't figure out any advice to help that other than using envelopes to drop the level of the delay each time. that'd be a pain in the ass though.
the problem with bringing the kick and snare levels up is that the mastering limiter will clamp down and kill their transients -- they need to peak at the same level as the rest of the mix, not sit above it. since you mentioned Breaking Benjamin before, take a listen to Diary of Jane and notice the kick/snare relative levels to the rest of the tracks. dont get me wrong, the drums can be the loudest thing in the mix, but the final master would have to have a much lower RMS. obviously there are eq things that can be done to make their apparent level a little higher, but this is a quick free mix, not what i would consider a perfect final.

as for the cymbals -- all the hits are there, just that the particular cymbal may not cut as much so level automation or velocity changes would need to be done; but again, beyond the scope of a quick free mix.

the delay on the scream serves to thicken it and increase impact, but where the pitches overlap (while i like the harmony created) is an easy fix. it just requires slicing it up to create doubles without any pitch overlap -- easy, but again, beyond the scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
Shawnguess' mix was my favorite btw. I'm actually surprised he's not even in the top-3... Then again: not my call of course
thanks man, i really appreciate that.
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #210
Bubbagump

I have to disagree... you always mix for the mix. The mastering engineer should be able to get level and impact. Keep in mind a brick wall limiter is a broadband device. If anything else causes a peak, all other elements are reduced as well. This also somehow assumes no other compression or other loudness techniques are being used... there is normal compression, parallel compression, MS techniques etc. If you were to poll most MEs I think you will find compression is their tool of choice for loudness and perhaps 1-2db is shaved off with a peak limiter plus you will be told to mix for the mix... not the ME. Using peak limiters to gain 6db or whatever of loudness is something it seems the home recording folks tend to do simply because it is an easy way to get loud... though not a good way to get loud.

Additionally, there are many ways to make the drums loud in the mix stage without destroying transients or creating ridiculous peaks. Again, parallel compression is a great tool for this. It adds loud/nuts AND keeps the snap.

All that to say... make the best sounding mix you can and let the ME deal with mastering concerns. My 2 cents.

Further reading:

http://magicgardenmastering.com/02_mix.htm

Last edited by Bubbagump; 05-31-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #211
shawnguess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
Keep in mind a brick wall limiter is a broadband device. If anything else causes a peak... all other elements are reduced as well
actually, thats not how a brickwall limiter works at all. it only works on transients that are over the threshold and doesnt touch the other material.

the ME will also tell you that the tracks have to be mixed to allow for "radio loud" mixes, he cant simply squash peaks to get there through compression or limiting without destroying the mix.

EDIT: but i do agree that the mix should always be done "for the mix" -- but if the client wants a competitive sound, then the achievable levels of that mix must be taken into consideration. i dont play into the loudness war in terms of getting everything blistering loud, but even to get a -12 RMS mix, you cant have a snare popping several db above the rest of the track. or if you do, the ME is just going to compromise the rest of the mix to squash that snare down when you ask why your master is so soft compared to all the other things you listen to.

the mix should be musically and artistically "for the mix", but technically for the desired result. i love an extremely dynamic mix, but for a rock mix trying to get signed or played on the radio, its just not competitive -- so it has to be mixed with the final goal in mind. thats why there are album mixes, radio mixes, tv mixes, etc done for singles.

Last edited by shawnguess; 05-31-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #212
Omni

Now now boys! jk. Have at it lol.

I'll give all the mixes another review tomorrow and see if I should reconsider anything.

I really appreciate everyone trying this out and hope you had a good time. If I missed anyone let me know. It wasn't my intention of course. I also hope no one gets offended at my comments or selections. All the mixes were really great and done better than I can do myself. So thanks for playing.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #213
shawnguess

Quote:
Now now boys! jk. Have at it lol.

I'll give all the mixes another review tomorrow and see if I should reconsider anything.
i hope my tone wasnt misconstrued -- i didnt intend to sound argumentative and certainly wasnt trying to talk you into liking my mix or any sort of reconsideration, haha. i was just trying to be informative. by all means, you should choose whatever mix you like
Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #214
Bubbagump

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
actually, thats not how a brickwall limiter works at all. it only works on transients that are over the threshold and doesnt touch the other material.
You're saying it is not a broadband device? (Excepting the L3-16 or whatever). Hardly... it is a broad band device. Clipping peaks is the same as an infinite ratio.... though automatic makeup gain is applied.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #215
shawnguess

Quote:
You're saying it is not a broadband device? (Excepting the L3-16 or whatever). Hardly... it is a broad band device. Clipping peaks is the same as an infinite ratio.... though automatic makeup gain is applied.
i think i may have misread what you were saying. of course i agree that its a broadband device, but it has no effect on material below the threshold. for some reason i thought you were saying that it did.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #216
Bubbagump

We're on the same page. One item of note... I nearly always find a properly compressed drum track to not have these problems. If you can get that right mix of phat and snap... the peaks take care of themselves. Where I see peaks really sticking out is in mixes where the snare has no compression and needs to be absolutely cranked to be heard or so ever compressed that it needs to be super cranked to be heard. In these cases the snare also typically feels like a hammer between the eyes when cross check in mono and on something like car speakers or Avantones.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #217
shawnguess

very true. also add that if the eq isnt focused properly, there can be peaks without apparent loudness.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #218
Coerce

Thanks for the comments.
It's not gated verb on the snare, just a lot of room to give it some body.

I like my snare loud but it might have been a bit too much, I'm normally mixing for mastering hence the quiet levels and a lot of DR my mix seemed a lot quieter than everyone elses so I guess it might have been hard to AB.

Bass wise I've been having problems learning my room and my last few mixes have been bass heavy so I probably over compensated on this lol.

Glad you liked my stutter

I loved the vocals punching in on the choruses so decided to spank up the backing vocals to give it a choir feel.

I might put up another one with louder bass and quieter snare just to finish it off for myself.

Thanks for the opportunity to mix a cool track, played to the top 3

I'd still be interested in trying out on a 2nd track lol
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #219
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
Damn! I was looking forward to hearing your take on this For no apparent reason I was expecting you to make all of us look like amateurs...
Thank you for saying that but it's a misconception. I am an amateur with mixing.

And the mixes I've heard here are pretty cool and creative. (even though I only listened to a couple because I didn't want to 'borrow' ideas)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #220
Coerce

http://fallofarcadia.com/OfFormerFam...ce-3-Final.mp3

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #221
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
i hope my tone wasnt misconstrued -- i didnt intend to sound argumentative and certainly wasnt trying to talk you into liking my mix or any sort of reconsideration, haha. i was just trying to be informative. by all means, you should choose whatever mix you like
No worries. It was lastrites comment that made me reconsider really. Your mix was definitely good as was most of them. I'm just looking for some character in the mix and Lastrite and Bubbagump both had that sound even without the little tricks we threw in.

I'll still relisten to be sure that I'm not choosing incorrectly lol
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #222
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Hey Omni, I'm a bit late onto this.... but really liked what I heard of "After All" - looking forward to hearing the next go and having a mix of it :-) When do you plan to start with the next song?
The next song is almost ready. I have to pick my tones and fix a couple pops in the vocals then it's ready.

To be fair to the mixers I won't be able to post these for everyone to mix. I do have some songs that would be on my next release I might be able to throw together when I'm done with this release. Then more people can have some fun.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #223
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coerce View Post
I like this latest mix a lot but something about the snare in the verse doesn't work for me. It doesn't sound like it's part of the mix for some reason. It works in the chorus just fine though. weird. I think a bass drum with a little more thud and less slap might be a good idea too. That's just personal preference of course.

Everything else is great.

I like the delay on the "be alright" that comes through in the chorus.

Damn gentleman I never thought this song could sound so good lol
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #224
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
Well, here's mine. I think I did "okay" for never mixing this type of music before. It was definitely great practice!

Like everyone else, I had a lot of fun working on this song. If you decide to post your next one, I'll be giving that one a go too!

I can't wait to hear the final album!

*oops forgot the link.. hang on..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4088115/afterall-dbop.mp3

Sounds pretty good dbop. The second vocals in the verse sounds very cool with the reverb. The harmony for the last half of it sounds nice too.

Overall the drums could use some oomph and the vocals and guitars a bit more sparkle.

Good job though.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #225
d.bop

Quote:
Sounds pretty good dbop. The second vocals in the verse sounds very cool with the reverb. The harmony for the last half of it sounds nice too.

Overall the drums could use some oomph and the vocals and guitars a bit more sparkle.

Good job though.
Thanks! I'll probably be remixing this one for myself for a while to see what works and what doesn't. Like I said, this is the first time I've ever worked on a real rock song so thanks for the opportunity!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #226
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester2000 View Post
Well I was going to do some listening notes for all the mixes, so I imported all of them into Reaper.

But having listened to all the mixes, each has its own unique element that I can't see the project not using. So I thought I'd just do a mix of all the mixes. I mean, why choose when you don't have to?

I've panned each one across the stereo field, using my expert ears and superpro VSTs that you aren't allowed to use.

Don't say anything bad about my mashup mix or I will respond with arrogance and a condescending tone, and I will be ruler of all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7519328/Afte...l%20Mashup.mp3

Honestly it didn't sound as horrible as I thought it might.

Cheers,

Fester2k
The reverse reverb to start the song was a really great idea lol.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #227
Coerce

Quote:
I like this latest mix a lot but something about the snare in the verse doesn't work for me. It doesn't sound like it's part of the mix for some reason. It works in the chorus just fine though. weird. I think a bass drum with a little more thud and less slap might be a good idea too. That's just personal preference of course.

Everything else is great.

I like the delay on the "be alright" that comes through in the chorus.

Damn gentleman I never thought this song could sound so good lol
Fair points man and thanks for having another listen. I'm surprised no one picked up on the ticking in the overheads yet lol

There's actually the same delay on the "after all" main vocal which makes it punch in to the choruses nicely.

I'm still not happy with the bass sound and think the vocals could be pushed up a bit but it's cool.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #228
ryan462

Quote:
What, chopped liver?
I've listened to a bunch of these so far .. this one is my fav.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #229
Omni

Hola guys. Just thought I'd check in. We've decide to work with Lastrite for this album. Elemental is completed and ready to be mixed for when Lastrite gets back from his show stuff this weekend. I just finished re-recording all the guitars and stuff for Never Intended. I should have the vocals done this week and that'll be ready to mix.

We hope to do about one song a week to get it done as fast as possible and get the album out.

When I'm finished, I'll post some newer stuff that's not on the album and you guys can mix it for fun.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #230
magnus0re

After All by magnus0re.mp3

I did this just for fun, with a slightly different take on the mix.

in between the two choruses at 2:34 (on my file) I've exaggerated the guitar by muting everything else, also on the
/i want to watch the fire burn and cleanse the pitiful/ etc i panned the vocals to make the voice "act" a bit more.

done with only effects from reaper except distroyr vst the piano.

Good luck on your album !
magnus0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #231
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus0re View Post
After All by magnus0re.mp3

I did this just for fun, with a slightly different take on the mix.

in between the two choruses at 2:34 (on my file) I've exaggerated the guitar by muting everything else, also on the
/i want to watch the fire burn and cleanse the pitiful/ etc i panned the vocals to make the voice "act" a bit more.

done with only effects from reaper except distroyr vst the piano.

Good luck on your album !
Interesting stuff The palm mute at 2:34 was a cool idea. It helps separate the parts pretty well. The panning of the vocals might be more fun to swap it back and forth a little more to show that it wasn't some sort of accident lol