Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #41
Pet
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Question for everyone. Does anybody use the "download and listen offline" button on the website (submissions page)?
Yes, always, and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I d/l'ed all the files and imported them all into a new project for quick back and forth comparison.
...and this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
Thanks for doing all the back end work on this Dave, it's been a good experience.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #42
DaveKeehl

thanks Pet
Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #43
DaveKeehl

You can now go on the website and vote!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #44
Not_Here

whoooo hoooooooo!

Edit: FWIW - I did "Download and Listen Offline" button, way better than just listening from the site. Thank You Mr. DaveKeehl for making a very nice and tidy session.
Found my way to do the listening and note taking from now on.

Last edited by Not_Here; 03-18-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:02 AM   #45
Pet

...download is currently running...
Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #46
jonboper

After my first round of listening to the mixes (which I did using the big button full project super-convenient method) my overall impression is that this is a more diverse batch of mixes than last month. A lot of different approaches to the vocals, and getting the vocals to sound good during the verses was not really that fun. Also, now I'm reflecting on just how important the vocals are to my overall enjoyment of the song, whereas while I was mixing I was super focused on everything else...

I'll do another pass through later today (or another day) with fresh ears in reverse order.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #47
Not_Here

Have to say, i had a whole different perspective having my submission included, than I expected.
A totally great experience hearing each mix fresh and being pleasantly surprised at the amount of creativity and different interpretations.
Really encouraging and am elready excited for next month...
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #48
dug dog

I wanted to see if this track had been released for public consumption and it turns out that it had been the subject of the "Mix Rescue" column of Sound On Sound Magazine back in 2011. Mike Senior's very informative article can be seen here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...e-young-griffo

BTW, I didn't enter the contest this month, though I've spent a fair bit of time working on the track.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #49
jonboper

Quote:
I wanted to see if this track had been released for public consumption and it turns out that it had been the subject of the "Mix Rescue" column of Sound On Sound Magazine back in 2011. Mike Senior's very informative article can be seen here:

BTW, I didn't enter the contest this month, though I've spent a fair bit of time working on the track.
I really dig what the rescue/remix did with the bass guitar - vocal treatment is pretty great too. Not crazy about the cymbals...actually really put off by them, but those were hard to deal with.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #50
dug dog

Quote:
I really dig what the rescue/remix did with the bass guitar
It certainly makes a dramatic improvement. (To my ears.) You can get a teeny bit of that effect by taking one of the guitar tracks, pitching down an octave and then hi-passing most of it. Anything more than a taste sounds like crap, though, and some might say that even a little sounds crappy.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #51
Not_Here

Quote:

Thanks for posting that. It was a great article regardless of us being able to use most of those techniques for the contest. However it was helpful for me to read what he heard as a problem and then what he did to fix or compensate.

I had been reading SOS years ago, I'm so glad it was brought back to my attention.

Doing one last listen through this weekend and compiling my feedback, and will have vote done shortly.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #52
Not_Here

Oooops when did track 11 show up... it wasn't in my d/l of submissions..

Glad I looked at the site..

"but... these go to eleven..."
Old 03-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #53
g4greg

I voted, and thanks for your hard work!

THis is a wonderful idea

I might just hop in sometime...... If I end up having free time, that is
Old 03-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #54
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Oooops when did track 11 show up... it wasn't in my d/l of submissions..

Glad I looked at the site..

"but... these go to eleven..."
The eleventh mix was added later because the user had sent me a wrong file and I honestly forgot to add it in the offline folder
Old 03-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #55
DaveKeehl

I'm contemplating the idea of giving a twist to the contest during summer time. These are some of the ideas I came up with those months, what do you think:
  • A month with a song created by some users
  • A month with all the plugins you want to use. I will only ask a 320 kbps MP3 mix at -14 LUFS.

any other ideas?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #56
Not_Here

Quote:
I'm contemplating the idea of giving a twist to the contest during summer time. These are some of the ideas I came up with those months, what do you think:
  • A month with all the plugins you want to use. I will only ask a 320 kbps MP3 mix at -14 LUFS.

any other ideas?
Maybe the idea of user created can be extended to offering a new act/band a free set of mixes via the contest also. Just thinking out loud.

Mixing with all the plugins you want to use? Personally I might be a little left behind in that department. I have not yet had the time or $$ to learn hosts of 3rd party offerings. Doesn't make that a bad idea, just sharing a personal observation.

I like the fact that this contest keeps everything on an even playing field as far as DAW and tool sets. Hearing the exact same plugins I'm using but utilized by somebody else helps me understand the capabilities. When I hear a much better more professional mix/sound, than what I was able to accomplish, I know it has been done with Reaper plugins and that definitely helps the learning curve. It narrows down my questions and I have immediate access (and some familiarity) to a much smaller set of variables.

All that being said; I'll give it a go no matter what the Contest and its format. I wanna get better... Dig?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #57
darjama

Quote:

any other ideas?
I like the idea of user created content, maybe even something created cooperatively by contest participants.

Maybe instead of all the plugins you want, put a constraint on it to keep it interesting, like up to 3 non-reaper plugins, or choose from a (short or long) list of free, cross platform plugins. Would be cool if an indie plugin maker would sponsor some plugins for us to use with a short term license or something, but probably unlikely.

How about something to encourage people to dig deeper into Reaper's capabilities, like requiring usage of some recently added or under-used features?

Or a stemmed mix contest where winners are chosen for each mix element instead of or in addition to the whole song. Maybe not be feasible, but I think it would be cool to focus on the different approaches to each instrument.
darjama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #58
jonboper

Quote:

any other ideas?
I like the constriction of a project everyone can read, native plugins. The winner gets to pick his/her own project...seems fair, like it.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 AM   #59
Not_Here

Voted.
Now trying to resist the urge to second guess mysel...... wait, third guess mys.....no, fourth guess myself.... :::sigh::::
Old 03-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #60
Olli H

Quote:

any other ideas?

I like the restriction: Reaper plugins only. It forces me to rethink my processes and find new solutions. And it makes me also listen more carefully: is there relevant difference if I use paid plugins? (Sometimes there is, and quite often no)

Another version could be: currently free plugins only. In this case one should list and provide links to free plugins that one has used.
Olli H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #61
DaveKeehl

Ok then it's gonna be reaper plugins with some funny rules.

Maybe June only with js plugins? ouch xD
Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #62
Not_Here

Quote:

you could perhaps do a team competition.. where say teams of three have to mix sections (gtrs bass) (vox horns) (drums bg vox)

What about adding in a video of some sort? Is there something there that can be explored via Reaper? A library of available tracks to mix and assemble to go with a Video in need of some type of score?

Admittedly it is difficult to ensure an even playing field that also provides ( the best part IMHO ) an opportunity for us to simply provide the .rpp file and share the exact session of a particular mix.
That might be a tough one to beat Sir.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #63
DaveKeehl

maybe that's a bit too much but it's going in the right direction in terms of fun
Old 03-29-2018, 06:21 AM   #64
Olli H

Quote:

Actually I started to like that idea. Normally js-plugins are the last ones I'm willing to touch, but there may some unexplored ugly gems there. It would be a nice possibility to put them on a test bench.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #65
DaveKeehl

Ladies & Gentlemen, one a day in advance may I bring you the results of the REAPER Contest March 2018 edition

The winner is...

*drumroll*

*tension intensifies*

Grass! As always well done to you and you're kindly invited to go and pick a sing of you liking from here. When you're done, send me a PM

Updated analytics (click it)

Complete rankings:

There have also been some changes in the general rankings and now user Olli H is winning by 1 point

New Top 10:

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 03-30-2018 at 01:50 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #66
Olli H

Gongrats to Grass, your mix was very good!

Here’s my quick notes of each contestant that I made before voiting. I was listening the same spot of the verse, chorus and transition from verse to chorus. Every now and then I refereshed my ears by listening my reference song mixed by CLA. As I was only trying to filter out those whom to vote, I stopped listening if I found ”too big” problem. In this sense, these are not my comments, only my working notes. My winner candidates I listened more thoroughly, but I didn’t do any further notes during that phase.

Nice vox sound, but in totally different space than in snare. Weak and boxy snare sound. Nice guitar sound in verses, but not so strong in choruses.

Snare and kick are not audible in chorus. Nice vox sound in verses.

My mix

Nice vox sound. Verses very good, but weak drums in chorus. Especially kick-bass relationship not optimal. But still one of my favorites.

Phasey and weak guitar sound in chorus. Vox too loud. Verses sound nice

Vox reverb makes a bit boxy feeling. Otherwise I like it. Guitar in choruses maybe a bit unfocused.

Bad balance between kick and bass. Bass too loud.

Good one. Nice sound in verses. Maybe Vox too loud in verses if compared to choruses

Sounds great. Nice open sound. Excellent chorus, although I’d like to hear a bit more bite with guitars. Cymbals are slightly too restless or uncontrolled. Myabe too much reverb in verses. Overall sound nicely glued together.

Good balance. I like the overall tone although it’s a bit suffocated sound in choruses.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #67
jonboper

I don't think my votes were counted, based on the totals there.

Edit: nevermind.

Last edited by jonboper; 03-31-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #68
jonboper

My notes (I made a lot of them, sorry to ID 11). I did 3 passes of listening. I thought 10 and 3 were the best mixes, beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that.

ID 1:

Crappy speakers: Guitar is very present. Bass has a nice edge and a hollow bounce. I like the vocals on the chorus, but the effect is too wet for me on the verse sections.
I'd like a little more distinction between the backing vocs and the main in the call-response.
This mix sounds the best in the afterchorus sections.

Monitors: Cymbals sound a little mushy, and the overall mix could use some crispness. Bdrum very present, carries the low end more than Bguitar which has edge, but not a lot of umph.

Phones: Bdrum is the most present of all the drums. Bguitar a little thin. I like the delay on the guitar during the detail sections. Vocal is leveled pretty well throughout. Don't love the delay on the backing vocs.

ID 2:

Crappy speakers: Snare and Bdrum lost during intro and chorus sections. Sounds really muddy overall, but the vocals really pop. Vocs during the verses too loud, better during chorus.
Lacking definition of individual percussive elements.

Monitors: The bass has some nice low end, but I'm hearing some clipping in it I think. This mix sounds better on the monitors than the CS and the phones...

Phones: Overall muffled, except for that vocal. I like the treatment of the backing vocs.

ID 3:

Crappy speakers: Nice drum separation, but the snare is too loud. Bdrum has a cool pap pap to it. Vocals are sitting back during the verses, come forward during the chorus.
I like the separation of parts overall, but the levels aren't quite right for me. No differentiation in the backing vocal section.

Monitors: Really like the overall balance of this mix. The vocals are still a little back, but I like the way they're EQd and have that amped sound.

Phones: Guitars have a lot of grit on them during the intro/chorus, maybe a touch too much. Bguitar a little thin. Vocals a little low/guitars a little loud my main complaint.

CONTENDER

ID 4:

Crappy speakers: Bdrum and Bguitar working well together. The drums have nice separation, but the cymbals are a little over-sibilant. Cymbals get in the way of me liking the chorus section.
I like the vocal approach. Maybe a little too much of the reverb on the snare? But I do like the snare tone. Backing vocs have some space to differentiate. Overall decent levels in the mix.

Monitors: Vocals are really in front, which is mostly good, maybe a little too loud at times. The overall listen is really decent on monitors, good low end from the Bguitar, cymbals still problematic.

Phones: The cymbals almost sound like they're tripping over themselves during the chorus sections. Low end a little thin. Some good guitar pans.

ID 5:

Crappy speakers: I really like the guitar tone. Good separation in the drums, but way too much space. Vocals need to lose some of that low end, and are a little too loud, especially too loud during the chorus.
The verb is just too much for me. I love the round idea for the backing vocs.

Monitors: The Bguitar has a good low ratio on the verse but lacks a little on the chorus. Vocals a little leveling trouble between verse chorus.

Phones: Guitar volume is a little erratic. The spatial effect widens things a little, but still too much for me.

ID 6:

Crappy speakers: Bdrum has a lot of edge on it. Snare is a little blocky but I like the sound of it during the chorus. Vocals sound good during the chorus, maybe a little too wet, but are way too wet for me during the verses.
Guitar is a little muddy maybe.

Monitors: Missing some low end from the Bguitar. Overall could use some crispness on the edges of things. Bdrum still sounds great. Cymbals are a little thin or subdued.

Phones: Like the panning of the guitar detail sections.

ID 7:

Me. I know my bass guitar was too loud, especially in comparison to the other mixes here, most of which I thought didn't have nearly enough bass guitar, haha.

ID 8:

Crappy speakers: I like the separation in the drums. The cymbals are a little low in the mix. Toms too loud. Bdrum really punchy (too loud?) Vocals are sitting a little low in the mix, too wet on the verses.
If the vocals were a little louder I'd think the overall mix was pretty good. I wish the main vocals had the definition of the backing vocals.

Monitors: Bguitar missing in the low end, especially during the chorus.

Phones: Low end is a little thin. Vocals sound better leveled on headphones. Still wish the main vocs were treated the same as the backing vocs.

ID 9:

Crappy speakers: This mix sounds overall a little louder than most for whatever reason. I like the balance of the drums. The vocals are too wet for me, but there's something about the delay I like.
I like the vocals more on the chorus than the verse.
Backing vocals are weak.
Guitar too loud on the afterchorus.

Monitors: Missing a little low end, but it's a well-controlled Bguitar sound. The space on the cymbals is a little too intense, but I really like the overall drum mix. If the vocals weren't so wet and there was a little more low Bguitar I'd really like this one.

Phones: Low end is thin. Interesting panning with guit on left and drums pushed left.

ID 10:

Crappy speakers: This one sounds really loud during that intro section. Bdrum has a nice plap to it. Guitar is a bit too loud for me on chorus maybe. The way this vocal is dialed in during the chorus really reminds me of Live (the band, Lightning Crashes and all that), which is interesting, because I never made that comparison until this mix.
Love the harmonies on the backing vocs. I would have done that if I'd thought of it, but they're too quiet.

Monitors: Bguitar is missing that low end during the chorus, the guitar really drives the action, but I do like the treatment of the guitar with that panning and amping of energy in the chorus - my favorite use of the guitar in that way, wish I'd thought to do that, really works.

Phones: I like the way the guitar is panned to differentiate the verse and chorus sections. Bguitar is a little thin on the low end. One of my favorite listens of the song.

CONTENDER
Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 AM   #69
jonboper

My notes might seem like a lot of criticism, but that's how I take notes on my own mix as I go, it's just my style.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:46 PM   #70
Not_Here

First off, Congrat's to the Winner, a mix well done! It's a good reference (as are all the mixes and feedback) for me to go back and look at what I can improve in my upcoming mixes.

I cannot wait until next month's Contest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
Gongrats to Grass, your mix was very good!

Here’s my quick notes of each contestant that I made before voiting. I was listening the same spot of the verse, chorus and transition from verse to chorus. Every now and then I refereshed my ears by listening my reference song mixed by CLA. As I was only trying to filter out those whom to vote, I stopped listening if I found ”too big” problem. In this sense, these are not my comments, only my working notes. My winner candidates I listened more thoroughly, but I didn’t do any further notes during that phase.

Nice vox sound, but in totally different space than in snare. Weak and boxy snare sound. Nice guitar sound in verses, but not so strong in choruses.
:::::snip::::::
I have a quick question if you would be kind enough: regarding my vocals and snare not in the same space - am I understanding correctly that I could have used a common reverb between them at some point to "put" them in the same space? Or is this an Eq'ing issue where (for example), I took away the snares presence and it fell back in the mix?

I am totally appreciative of the feedback, These little comments really help me learn better critical listening and how to respond mix-wise.

Quote:
My notes (I made a lot of them, sorry to ID 11). I did 3 passes of listening. I thought 10 and 3 were the best mixes, beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that.

ID 1:

Crappy speakers: Guitar is very present. Bass has a nice edge and a hollow bounce. I like the vocals on the chorus, but the effect is too wet for me on the verse sections.
I'd like a little more distinction between the backing vocs and the main in the call-response.
This mix sounds the best in the afterchorus sections.

Monitors: Cymbals sound a little mushy, and the overall mix could use some crispness. Bdrum very present, carries the low end more than Bguitar which has edge, but not a lot of umph.

Phones: Bdrum is the most present of all the drums. Bguitar a little thin. I like the delay on the guitar during the detail sections. Vocal is leveled pretty well throughout. Don't love the delay on the backing vocs.

:::::SNIP:::::::
I totally like your feedback's format. Not only do you provide an unbiased ear but you also provide a look at translation combined with it.

Interesting that on the crappy speakers, that you liked the vox better in the parts where I had the gtr/drum volume increasing. I was questioning how much rev to put on vox and not over-do it. I might have stepped a tad over that line? I see another place I could become more adept at the automation.

Monitors; your and my thought match nearly the same. But for different reasons? I really was not Happy with my Kick at all I went as far as I was able to at this time with that master track. Quite frankly it's because of my lack of experience I'm sure. I struggled a bit with the whole drum section.

Phones: I totally agree I was going to loud on the Kick. I was trying to find a little of that missing oomph.... I did try to do well on Vox, and perhaps I got that done alright. And being a guitar player I needed to tweak something about that sound. Nice that you noticed such a small detail as the delay. Backin Vox I wanted to do something that gave them a little motion... eh... always next time

Quote:
My notes might seem like a lot of criticism, but that's how I take notes on my own mix as I go, it's just my style.
I just want to say that I really dig this kind of criticism. I am totally open to learning all that I can. This is a fantastic method. You are a great guy to take the time to provide details like this.
Hats off!
Old 03-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #71
dug dog

Quote:
am I understanding correctly that I could have used a common reverb between them at some point to "put" them in the same space?
I hesitate to give any feedback given my own student status but, FWIW, I looked at some of the notes I made when listening to your submission and I noted, "Needs cohesive 'verb."

I was referring to all the instruments and vox sounding a bit disjointed. So, for my money and, as you suggested, one common verb to put everything in the same space and it doesn't necessarily need very much. For my own experiments, I used a small room ambience.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:01 AM   #72
Not_Here

Quote:
I hesitate to give any feedback given my own student status but, FWIW, I looked at some of the notes I made when listening to your submission and I noted, "Needs cohesive 'verb."

I was referring to all the instruments and vox sounding a bit disjointed. So, for my money and, as you suggested, one common verb to put everything in the same space and it doesn't necessarily need very much. For my own experiments, I used a small room ambience.
Thanks man! I appreciate the confirmation. I'm no less a student than anyone else who's learning and trying to get better. You may share any critique with me about any of my submissions, it's all good as far as I'm concerned...

Peace!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #73
Olli H

Quote:
I have a quick question if you would be kind enough: regarding my vocals and snare not in the same space - am I understanding correctly that I could have used a common reverb between them at some point to "put" them in the same space? Or is this an Eq'ing issue where (for example), I took away the snares presence and it fell back in the mix?

I am totally appreciative of the feedback, These little comments really help me learn better critical listening and how to respond mix-wise.
So the problem to me was: your vox sounds like great studio sound, but snare like a cheap and small living room sound.

Notice that snare feels to be quite distant, but at the same time it feels to be in small room. So there’s some sort of contradiction in sound. I’m not saying that the space should be extremely realistic (this is not bluegrass music), but still some sort of cohesiveness should be strived for. Otherwise brains might say ”something is wrong”.

But it’s not that easy. THe recorded drum sound may have a strong signature of ”small room”. And closely recorded vox doesn’t necesserily have any ”room signature” with it. So adding a one common reverb alone might not solve the problem.

In your case I would start from the vox. It sounds great already. It feels like it’s in a big room but quite near. I would leave that the way it is, whatever you did with it. So that's a starting point. But what to do with drums, if we leave the vox the way it is? As this is rock’n’roll, I might try to make them sound not so distant but to be in much bigger room.

A bit brighter close mic or more transients of snare would bring it closer. Bigger room could be achieved by makeing the snare bounce from the walls of a big room. As the overheads had quite much of cymbals, it may be better not to send them too much to reverb. For this we may need a parallel reverb track for a snare track:
a. strong saturation => delay => plate or reverb
b. tape delay => hall or plate or reverb
c. dark plate with long predelay

Or experiment with drums room track if the feeling of room size could be found from there.

Hopefully this comment opens a bit the problem that I was hearing in your mix.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #74
Olli H

@jonboper, THanks for making useful and detailed comments for everyone. I really appreciate it. These kind of comments make these competitions a worthwhile to join for everyone.

Quote:
ID 7:

Me. I know my bass guitar was too loud, especially in comparison to the other mixes here, most of which I thought didn't have nearly enough bass guitar, haha.
What’s the correct level for the bass? Or, What’s the correct level for the vox? Compared to what? So, these are quite subjective questions. And it depends quite heavily on the reference track one is using.

There are many great rock’n’roll recordings with huge bass, and on the other hand great recordings with thin bass. Distant voices, in-your-face voices etc. So, from the point of view of learning, it would be quite interesting if in some competition we all were forced to use the same reference track. For example: ”here’s a retro rock recording, make it sound like Gimme Shelter by Rolling Stones.” Well, that wouldn’t be so artistic competiton, but more a technical competition, but the discussion would be easier for everyone because it wouldn’t be about artistic preferences and choises.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #75
DaveKeehl

I have the song for April. Oh boy it's gonna be fun.

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 04-01-2018 at 06:23 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #76
g4greg

Quote:
I have the song for April. Oh boy it's gonna be fun.
Is this one going to be with the regular set of rules? I might hop in, since I don't have much on my plate in April.

Don't expect any miracles though, as I am just a singer who likes to mess around with mixing once in a while.....
Old 04-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #77
jonboper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
@jonboper, THanks for making useful and detailed comments for everyone. I really appreciate it. These kind of comments make these competitions a worthwhile to join for everyone.

What’s the correct level for the bass? Or, What’s the correct level for the vox? Compared to what? So, these are quite subjective questions. And it depends quite heavily on the reference track one is using.

There are many great rock’n’roll recordings with huge bass, and on the other hand great recordings with thin bass. Distant voices, in-your-face voices etc. So, from the point of view of learning, it would be quite interesting if in some competition we all were forced to use the same reference track. For example: ”here’s a retro rock recording, make it sound like Gimme Shelter by Rolling Stones.” Well, that wouldn’t be so artistic competiton, but more a technical competition, but the discussion would be easier for everyone because it wouldn’t be about artistic preferences and choises.
I've been listening to a lot of hip-hop lately, hence my penchant for huge bass and sharp cut samples (here, guitars). Yeah, reference is huge.

Last edited by jonboper; 04-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #78
jonboper

Quote:
I just want to say that I really dig this kind of criticism. I am totally open to learning all that I can. This is a fantastic method. You are a great guy to take the time to provide details like this.
Hats off!
Definitely not 'great guy', more like 'unemployed musician' looking for a proactive way to spend his time and trying to get to know the software better. Recent Sonar convert - this mix was the first 'project' I completed in Reaper, was a really good learning experience for me, regardless of how many hours behind the mixing desk. I just landed a job, so I don't know if I'll have time to listen as thoroughly next month. Thanks again for the thoughtful platform.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:49 AM   #79
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
Is this one going to be with the regular set of rules? I might hop in, since I don't have much on my plate in April.

Don't expect any miracles though, as I am just a singer who likes to mess around with mixing once in a while.....
I don't expect anything from anybody. We're all here to have some good time
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #80
DaveKeehl

Who wants can still give feedback, otherwise the new multitrack is available on the website. The new thread here on the forum will be created when the feedback phase is over in a couple of days.