Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #41
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Submission sent but had to mix on headphones via a Steinberg Ur44 interface on my laptop as I can't use my studio currently
just for curiosity... are you satisfied with that steinberg interface? A few months ago I had thought buying in it
Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #42
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
you still have a few hours to send me your masterpiece
Oh, crap, I didn't look at the dates too close. Just assumed I had till the end of the month. That's what procrastination gets me. I could give it a shot this evening but I see I already missed the cutoff... Oops.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #43
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
just for curiosity... are you satisfied with that steinberg interface? A few months ago I had thought buying in it
Yes quite satisfied with it. I use it as part of a mobile rig with a core i7 laptop and can get quite low latency of about 5-6 milliseconds on reasonably complex projects
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:18 AM   #44
DaveKeehl

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay but you can now go on the website, listen to all the entries and vote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:23 AM   #45
DaveKeehl

Still 2-3 days to vote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #46
DaveKeehl

16 votes so far! That's amazing! Can we reach 20 by tonight? Spread the word on social media
Old 09-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #47
Dream Of Sleeping

I'd never seen this competition before. I'm not going to vote officially because trying to order them in my head which is 2nd and 3rd is too much effort for me, and to be honest I didn't listen to each all the way through, but flicked through them. But I'll say ID6 did a great job with those drums and was my favorite.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #48
VinodXAgent

Default Problems with the stems

Hi Dave,
listening to the Contest each month, but when splitting or shortening the Project items or cyling a selection I have Audio Mutes of the Master-Output. It seems that flac and Itemfades are not working well together.
I remember someone else mentioning this a few month ago. My System is rocksolid with wav-format. Any thoughts?
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #49
DaveKeehl

And this month the winner is...

KGARELLO

Congratulations Kgarello! You can now choose a song from this website. PM me when you're done

All the projects can be downloaded in the first post. Now I invite everyone to give some constructive feedback

Here are some analytics...

My monthly spreadsheet:

The results of the survey on the website:

The updated Top20:

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 10-01-2017 at 04:12 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #50
martinmadero

Congratulations to the winner!!!

Here´s some feedback:

ID01: general equalization with a high level of media. in my opinion the main voice is missing presence. the guitars are good, a bit high, compared to the bass and drums.
ID02: very low drums, it lacks strength to the overall mix. the equalization of the guitars lacks more brightness and less serious. lack of balance between volumes. the voice is low
ID03: the volumes in general are good. much reverb in my opinion in general, in the parts of greater emphasis a ball is made.
ID04: I have something strange with this mix. It sounds good, but the battery sounds very "clean". I think the song by its style needs a bit of "dirt", the same with the guitars, to remove certain frequencies the mixture is left without that human quota.
ID05: mine.
ID06: the intro effect is original. the battery in my opinion is correct. Maybe the guitars in the eq and general balance could pan in another way and make them stand out, I think it would have greatly improved the mix. Everything else I liked.
ID07: it's a good mix in my opinion, from volume balances and general eq. I liked it. one of my favourites.
ID08: maybe a lot of compression and a lot of reverb, and emphasis on the keyboards took away the essence a little to my understanding. the guitars are very low.
ID09: too much reverb. bass drums. the voices have a lot of reverb. lack of emphasis on bass. the relation between the volumes is well except the drums.
ID10: the voice is down from the instruments. lots of wheezing in some parts. the general eq has very serious and means, in the high parts it becomes a kind of ball.
ID11: a good mix, maybe a little higher the voice. but in general one of the ones I liked the most. the eq and the volumes in general. I like the sound of guitars and drums. one of my favorites.
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #51
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
I'd never seen this competition before. I'm not going to vote officially because trying to order them in my head which is 2nd and 3rd is too much effort for me, and to be honest I didn't listen to each all the way through, but flicked through them. But I'll say ID6 did a great job with those drums and was my favorite.
Thanks! It isn't a popular opinion!

I thought it was weird that people were complaining about the recording. It seemed obvious to me that they were going for a 60's retro sound and pretty much got there before mix time. I actually thought that the "nice", hi-fi sounding mixes with lots of stereo were missing the point of the song. Lots of people letting the keyboards disappear too.

Ah well, you can't argue with democracy!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #52
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
Congratulations to the winner!!!

Here´s some feedback:

ID01: general equalization with a high level of media. in my opinion the main voice is missing presence. the guitars are good, a bit high, compared to the bass and drums.
ID02: very low drums, it lacks strength to the overall mix. the equalization of the guitars lacks more brightness and less serious. lack of balance between volumes. the voice is low
ID03: the volumes in general are good. much reverb in my opinion in general, in the parts of greater emphasis a ball is made.
ID04: I have something strange with this mix. It sounds good, but the battery sounds very "clean". I think the song by its style needs a bit of "dirt", the same with the guitars, to remove certain frequencies the mixture is left without that human quota.
ID05: mine.
ID06: the intro effect is original. the battery in my opinion is correct. Maybe the guitars in the eq and general balance could pan in another way and make them stand out, I think it would have greatly improved the mix. Everything else I liked.
ID07: it's a good mix in my opinion, from volume balances and general eq. I liked it. one of my favourites.
ID08: maybe a lot of compression and a lot of reverb, and emphasis on the keyboards took away the essence a little to my understanding. the guitars are very low.
ID09: too much reverb. bass drums. the voices have a lot of reverb. lack of emphasis on bass. the relation between the volumes is well except the drums.
ID10: the voice is down from the instruments. lots of wheezing in some parts. the general eq has very serious and means, in the high parts it becomes a kind of ball.
ID11: a good mix, maybe a little higher the voice. but in general one of the ones I liked the most. the eq and the volumes in general. I like the sound of guitars and drums. one of my favorites.
I really liked your mix, except for the low tom which sounded really weird, papery yet with a sharp transient and lacked meat. As it was such a prominent part of the song I found it really distracting, but the rest of the mix was my favourite overall.

Last edited by Judders; 09-30-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #53
kgarello

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed listening to everyone's mix and am learning a lot from this contest... I think..until the next mix...)

I'll look through the multitrack list and hopefully find something fun!
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #54
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Thanks everyone! I enjoyed listening to everyone's mix and am learning a lot from this contest... I think..until the next mix...)

I'll look through the multitrack list and hopefully find something fun!
Congratulations!

Didn't mean to sound like a sour puss in my post above. Well done!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #55
uncleswede

Default Download the winning RPP file?

Hi.

Is it possible to download the winning project file (plus any jsfx or impulse files)? I'd be interested to see how it was mixed compared to mine.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #56
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Hi.

Is it possible to download the winning project file (plus any jsfx or impulse files)? I'd be interested to see how it was mixed compared to mine.

Cheers
go to the first post and click on download all the submissions
Old 10-01-2017, 05:06 AM   #57
uncleswede

Oh... I downloaded the submissions zip file from the official website but they only had the master "ID" FLAC files and a project to host them. Is the submissions.zip above different?
Old 10-01-2017, 05:08 AM   #58
uncleswede

Quote:
Oh... I downloaded the submissions zip file from the official website but they only had the master "ID" FLAC files and a project to host them. Is the submissions.zip above different?
Never mind ... I see it is different.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #59
VinodXAgent

Just a production advice. Sit down with your client and establish a tempo that suits the song. Artists often overlook the importance of the right tempo.
This one is way to slow. You can argue ,that this a personal decision but experience will tell you it isn't. So here aquick and dirty mix a few beats faster.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jn0xzfsqz...ember.mp3?dl=0
Old 10-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #60
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodXAgent View Post
Just a production advice. Sit down with your client and establish a tempo that suits the song. Artists often overlook the importance of the right tempo.
This one is way to slow. You can argue ,that this a personal decision but experience will tell you it isn't. So here aquick and dirty mix a few beats faster.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jn0xzfsqz...ember.mp3?dl=0
I have to say that I prefer the original tempo. This sounds rushed and completely loses its 60's retro vibe.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #61
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I have to say that I prefer the original tempo.
Just popping in as the tempo thing caught my eye, that should be top of mind during the entire process, long before recording if possible. And it is somewhat subjective because it's sometimes more important to move the tempo to what the player naturally feels because anything else will cause them to rush/drag against a foreign feeling tempo and it just won't sound good - regardless of what the non-player thinks about it. There is also something to be said about "a little slower always grooves a little better - within reason" .

While prepping for a project, I basically designed a speed-o-meter for our drummer but it was the bands argument solver - meaning anytime someone though something was fast or slow, we can just look at the read out and instantly compare truth to our biases - using this, feel, song intent and so on, we got down to only deciding +1 or -1 BPM - That doesn't mean we won't be surprised and find otherwise down the road when it's too late but just highlighting the importance of being aware.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #62
VinodXAgent

Right Karbo,
Preproduction is so important. That was my point. Try different Tempi to see what suits the song and the artist.
60s Vibe? What is that? 4 Tracks and LCR Panning, heavy echo Chamber Reverb? Or do you mean the Drum Vamp? That is a good example. I think that this Drums don't work at the original tempo and that the vocals are quite lame, too.But hey, as you mentioned the sixties,Judders Vanilla Fudge and their approach to tempo comes to my mind. That is a nice idea for a mix.
One last advice or opinion from me. Try not to spend more than 3 or 4 hours for a mix or if you are a beginner that should be your goal for the future. Everything above that is self exploitation(I hope this word exists in english).
You don't spend days with this kind of recordings. After all, working as an audio engineer is about working fast. Keep that always in mind.

greetings from Hamburg
Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #63
Judders

Quote:
Right Karbo,
Preproduction is so important. That was my point. Try different Tempi to see what suits the song and the artist.
60s Vibe? What is that? 4 Tracks and LCR Panning, heavy echo Chamber Reverb? Or do you mean the Drum Vamp? That is a good example. I think that this Drums don't work at the original tempo and that the vocals are quite lame, too.But hey, as you mentioned the sixties,Judders Vanilla Fudge and their approach to tempo comes to my mind. That is a nice idea for a mix.
One last advice or opinion from me. Try not to spend more than 3 or 4 hours for a mix or if you are a beginner that should be your goal for the future. Everything above that is self exploitation(I hope this word exists in english).
You don't spend days with this kind of recordings. After all, working as an audio engineer is about working fast. Keep that always in mind.

greetings from Hamburg
I said retro, not recreation. I was thinking more along the line of The La's.

Everything sounds rushed in your version, like it's trying to be a modern rock song, which it isn't.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:31 AM   #64
DaveKeehl

I'm going to give feedback hopefully before the weekend kicks in. The next contest will also start hopefully before the weekend
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #65
martinmadero

i think in the mixing process, sometimes less is more ..
Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #66
kgarello

Quote:

greetings from Hamburg

I wish this were the case for me. I am still spending a long time on a mix.

I think that this contest is a good exercise because it forces me to finish a mix.

I am concentrating now on getting a good balance first and that has sped up my process some. Until recently I would start applying effects and EQ right away without a balanced premix.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #67
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
I am concentrating now on getting a good balance first and that has sped up my process some.
The pink noise technique is pretty handy for that. I keep forgetting how much time it saves to start there.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:20 AM   #68
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
The pink noise technique is pretty handy for that. I keep forgetting how much time it saves to start there.
I dunno man... that'll give you a somewhat even balance, which isn't the same thing as a good balance. I'm continuously surprised when I hear a song I thought I knew well but realise how crazy loud some element is, or how generally it would be considered "unbalanced", yet it works so much better than if it were more conservative.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #69
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
that'll give you a somewhat even balance, which isn't the same thing as a good balance.
Still a good starting place. It's like tuning a drum, gotta at least start with all the lugs at around the same tension or nothing works, but sometimes it also works to then put one lug out of balance.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #70
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Still a good starting place. It's like tuning a drum, gotta at least start with all the lugs at around the same tension or nothing works, but sometimes it also works to then put one lug out of balance.
If it works, by all means use it but it's never something I've ever needed - aka a good balance to me doesn't mean same level but balanced in a way the supports whatever it is. It would take me as long to judge each one against pink noise as it would to just put it where I think it should be. IOW all faders at zero, move each up or down a tad.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:50 AM   #71
DaveKeehl

can someone explain to me what this pink noise technique consists of? I heard about it a few times but never understood its purpose and why it could be useful in any way.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #72
uncleswede

Hi,

I'm just playing with it for the first time myself for the October contest :-)

As I understand it, the basic technique is to play the pink noise track (there's a JS pink noise generator plugin in Reaper) at about -16, -18db RMS then solo each project track and adjust the track volume until you can only barely just hear the track over the pink noise. Then solo the rest of the tracks in turn and do the same.

I found it worked quite well in quickly giving me a reasonably balanced starter mix for the instruments but the lead vocal ended up far too low for my taste.

Here's a SOS article on it.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...oise-reference
Old 10-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #73
DaveKeehl

mmh okay, I don't know to me it just sounds like a waste of time xD
Old 10-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #74
martinmadero

what about some feedback here?