Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #81
gofer
-blänk-

All files on that site play here with Chrome on XP32. (Which one would be "the one rendered in Reaper"?)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #82
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis4ey View Post
The one rendered in Reaper doesn't play for me in Chrome
If it plays in other web browsers on your machine, then the bug is in Chrome, and not in Reaper...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #83
whis4ey

(Which one would be "the one rendered in Reaper"?)
xmasreap.mp3
(cleverly named?)
whis4ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #84
ivansc

Smartarse! (grin)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #85
gehauser

Hey OP and others:

All due respect, guys, but I am using the Lame encoder in Reaper and I have the same problem as the OP when I use the Google Chrome browser to play mp3s from web links (that is, mp3s rendered by Reaper fail to play in Chrome when activated by a click on a web link). When I use IE to hit the same links, the mp3s rendered by Reaper play fine. I have tried 320kpbs, 256kbps, and 192kbps MP3 renders from Reaper and they all fail in Chrome and they all work in IE.

More info:

If I drag the Reaper-rendered mp3 file from the desktop into Chrome, rather than clicking a web link, it plays fine in Chrome.

FYI, my system with Reaper is Win 7 and I have the 64-bit Lame version and Reaper 64-bit installed.

My tentative conclusion is that Chrome's MP3 player may be incomplete relative to IE. But what is special about the Reaper MP3 that it won't play in Chrome? When I use Acoustica MP32WAV to convert a Reaper-rendered WAV to MP3, it plays fine in Chrome.

I am still trying to get a Reaper MP3 that WILL work in Chrome when downloaded from a web link (these same MP3s work fine in IE). I am going to try running the 32-bit Lame encoder instead of the 64-bit in Reaper to see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Gary
gehauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #86
gehauser

Quote:
Obviously a lot of interest in this subject, so here is the file that won't play, and the one that does
Maybe you can spot why one of them is faulty
How do I post a screen of the settings?
http://billyswann.com/xmasreap.mp3
http://billyswann.com/xmasaud.mp3
I think I tracked down the problem here.

The xmasaud.mp3 works in Chrome from the link, but the xmasreap.mp3 does not, so I did some snooping. In Win7, you can inspect and alter the Properties of an MP3. I inspected Properties on both of the above files, and the only difference was that the xmasaud file had a Genre "Blues" and the xmasreap file had a blank Genre.

So using the Win7 Properties dialog on the xmasreap MP3, I altered the blank Genre to "Blues" and presto, now it works in Chrome from a link (FYI, I had to upload both to a web location and create a little web page so I could URL link to the MP3s).

So the problem, I believe, is that Google Chrome cannot process an MP3 with a blank Genre label (at least from a web link) and Reaper-LAME-rendered MP3s have no Genre label. However, if you drag an MP3 file with blank Genre onto Chrome, it plays fine.

So it is a Chrome problem primarily, but Reaper developers could perhaps create a workaround by having Reaper-LAME-encoded MP3s generate the Genre label in the MP3 Properties. Not sure if this would be done in LAME or in Reaper, but nonetheless, I think this would fix it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #87
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Thank you for all the detective work! Though alas it doesn't seem to be that easy, please see here. In short, Chrome doesn't play some completely tagged MP3 files including genre info either, so adding tags is probably not solving it for all cases. There are oodles of tagless files out there (they are not required to have one), so Google should take a look at that. Other than that, there are other slim, fast and matured browsers with tabs out there.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #88
gehauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Thank you for all the detective work! Though alas it doesn't seem to be that easy, please see here. In short, Chrome doesn't play some completely tagged MP3 files including genre info either, so adding tags is probably not solving it for all cases. There are oodles of tagless files out there (they are not required to have one), so Google should take a look at that. Other than that, there are other slim, fast and matured browsers with tabs out there.
Yes, I agree, it is definitely an issue Google Chrome folks need to address so they cover all the bases.

I got my Reaper-LAME-encoded MP3s working on Chrome by adding the Genre tag, and that is as far as I took it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #89
whis4ey

Quote:
I got my Reaper-LAME-encoded MP3s working on Chrome by adding the Genre tag, and that is as far as I took it.
Would that be a Lame issue or a Chrome issue? or indeed a Reaper issue?
I see that it is not an all embracing solution in any event, but I would have thought it is something that ought not to be happening?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #90
gehauser

Quote:
I see that it is not an all embracing solution in any event, but I would have thought it is something that ought not to be happening?
My opinion:

Chrome needs to be more accepting of MP3s without labels. IE plays them fine, and even Chrome plays them if you drag the MP3 file onto Chrome. It is just that Chrome won't play them from a web link if the Genre label is missing. Apparently Chrome has other MP3 playing issues, as well. Chrome is too picky about MP3s (web browsers should be flexible). But it is a maturing product, so I would guess it is just a matter of time before it's fixed. Good to know there's a workaround, as I like using Chrome otherwise.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #91
karbomusic

Quote:
Chrome needs to be more accepting of MP3s without labels.
I would think the MP3 specification itself should yield the final answer. Such as does it state that its OK for the field to be blank. If so then Chrome is the problem, if not Reaper. If it states nothing then
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #92
karbomusic

Quote:
Chrome needs to be more accepting of MP3s without labels.
I would think the specification itself should yield the final answer. Such as does it state that its OK for the field to be blank. If so then Chrome is the problem, if not Reaper.

Looking at the spec, it appears the "blues" genre just happens to be the first one in the list and its index is 0. hmm.. This means there isn't an index for "blank" it appears. Obviously, it can be blank so I would still err on the side of taking unknowns into account and expect Chrome to be able to handle it because that just makes sense. Reaper shouldn't have to randomly choose a genre if it happens to be blank in other words.

http://www.id3.org/id3v2-00?highlight=%28ID3v1%29

Not sure if that is the exact correct spec though.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #93
Mich

Quote:
I tried to determine that by providing you (and others) with test MP3 files ( http://ro.cking.org/mp3 ) created by Lame with different options (ID3 tag, no tag, only info tag, etc ...) in hopes some would get back with a report of what files worked in Chrome and which didn't ... but so far only _one_ person took the time to test these files with the result that they all work in Chrome.

Hence that would point out that it is definitive not a Lame 3.98.2 issue, though for a definite answer more people should test the files!

Last edited by Mich; 11-30-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: fixed link
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #94
Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I would think the MP3 specification itself should yield the final answer. Such as does it state that its OK for the field to be blank. If so then Chrome is the problem, if not Reaper. If it states nothing then
The field is "blank" because there is no field. ID3 tags are __optional__ to an MP3, they are not required! So whether there is a tag or not if the MP3 is ISO compliant (which Lame's MP3's should be) __every__ MP3 decoder should be able to decode them!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #95
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich View Post
I tried to determine that by providing you (and others) with test MP3 files ( http://ro.cking.org/mp3 ) created by Lame with different options (ID3 tag, no tag, only info tag, etc ...) in hopes some would get back with a report of what files worked in Chrome and which didn't ... but so far only _one_ person took the time to test these files with the result that they all work in Chrome.

Hence that would point out that it is definitive not a Lame 3.98.2 issue, though for a definite answer more people should test the files!
They all worked for me, Chrome 15.0.874.121 m, W7x64pro.

I persist... this could very well be a server issue. We should try those files uploaded to the server used by the OP.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #96
whis4ey

Idon't believe that this is a server issue

Last edited by whis4ey; 12-01-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #97
gofer
-blänk-

I guess it would be smarter to stop believing and continue testing .
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #98
Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I guess it would be smarter to stop believing and continue testing .
+1 ... but I'm done ... waste of time.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #99
gehauser

I did some more testing. Reaper-LAME-encoded mp3s still fail in Chrome for me, BUT...

If I access the mp3's properties (rt-click the mp3, Properties...), make a change in ANY blank field (not just Genre), then re-upload the file, then the mp3 will work in Chrome from a web link.

They will even work if I make a change in any blank field and then change the field back to blank. The process of accessing the Properties and "saving" fixes the mp3 so it will work in Chrome.

Last edited by gehauser; 12-01-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #100
gehauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
They all worked for me, Chrome 15.0.874.121 m, W7x64pro.

I persist... this could very well be a server issue. We should try those files uploaded to the server used by the OP.
Does the OP's xmasreap.mp3 link work in your Chrome?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #101
gofer
-blänk-

Yes, it does play on mine.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #102
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehauser View Post
Does the OP's xmasreap.mp3 link work in your Chrome?
As I said earlier, the xmasreap.mp3 does not play in my Chrome when played from the web link, but it plays if I DL the file to my comp and drag it into Chrome from there. This is Chrome 15.0.874.121 m on W7x64pro.

Now I did the following:
I uploaded xmasreap.mp3 to my dropbox. Chrome played it fine from there.
I the tried the OPs link, Chrome did not play it from there.

Not a server issue...?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #103
karbomusic

Quote:
As I said earlier, the xmasreap.mp3 does not play in my Chrome when played from the web link, but it plays if I DL the file to my comp and drag it into Chrome from there. This is Chrome 15.0.874.121 m on W7x64pro.

Now I did the following:
I uploaded xmasreap.mp3 to my dropbox. Chrome played it fine from there.
I the tried the OPs link, Chrome did not play it from there.

Not a server issue...?
The server can provide enough information in the HTTP header to play the file properly in all other browsers but a single brand of client cannot seem to figure this out. Wireshark would answer it pretty quickly though, just inspect the header between working and non-working.

A local file doesn't get an internet header, it reads directly from the file. You could force the web server to do this also (if you have one) by using something like response.binaryWrite() to flush the binary data directly to the browser, I bet it would play under that condition. That may explain the drop-box difference, I'll assume it uses a binary write to flush the data to the browser. Most downloads services use this AFAIK.

With other browsers working and it not being limited to a specific server configuration, it would surely be in Chrome's best interest for their browser to overcome this unexpected condition.

If someone has a working and non-working link of the same file, I'll trace the packets and see what the difference is when coming from the net.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-01-2011 at 01:04 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #104
Fabian

Quote:
If someone has a working and non-working link of the same file, I'll trace the packets and see what the difference is when coming from the net.
Working link: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Publi...mp3?w=fc10ffd4
Non-working: http://billyswann.com/xmasreap.mp3

(for me)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #105
whis4ey

Quote:
One of my own links works and the other doesn't
Am I seriously missing something here?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #106
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks. The only problem is they both need to be http not https. I can't decrypt dropbox's http/ssl stream. It also asked me to login. Here is the billyswan.com response header:

RESPONSE HEADER:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 20:08:01 GMT
Server: Apache/2
Last-Modified: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:40:47 GMT
ETag: "22872e-4b2a36abc95c0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 2262830
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: audio/mpeg

Give me a little while, I have plenty of servers lying around. If the OP doesn't mind, I can place the file there and present it to the browser with different methods as well as trace it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #107
karbomusic

Quote:
post em
Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #108
whis4ey

They are both repeated numerously on this thread
Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #109
karbomusic

Quote:
They are both repeated numerously on this thread
Sorry, I'm a little busy and trying to fit in helping out, nevermind.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #110
Fabian

Quote:
Thanks. The only problem is they both need to be http not https. I can't decrypt dropbox's http/ssl stream. It also asked me to login. Here is the billyswan.com response header:
Hmm... It is in the "public" folder, which I though was publicly accessible. Sorry. I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #111
karbomusic

Quote:
Hmm... It is in the "public" folder, which I though was publicly accessible. Sorry. I'll see what I can do.
No don't worry about it... The https part is the real issue stopping my test, its encrypted which is great for safety but not so great for troubleshooting network conversations. Unless, the SSl is only present during the login then switches back to http then we are good.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #112
Fabian

Quote:
You are talking about these two right?
http://billyswann.com/xmasreap.mp3
http://billyswann.com/xmasaud.mp3

But those do not link to the same file. What we need is to make xmasreap.mp3 play in Chromes internal mp3-player from one server, but not from another. That's the issue karbo is trying to track down now.

Mich says it cannot be a server issue, which might be correct, but I get the same file (xmasreap.mp3) playing in Chromes internal mp3-player when I get it from my dropbox, but not when I get it from your link.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #113
gofer
-blänk-

Could it be because I never (actively, maybe it did itself) updated Chrome (it sais v8.0.552.224)?

As said, both of these links play with no problem right out of Chrome browser here
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #114
karbomusic

Quote:
You are talking about these two right?

Mich says it cannot be a server issue, which might be correct, but I get the same file (xmasreap.mp3) playing in Chromes internal mp3-player when I get it from my dropbox, but not when I get it from your link.
I don't see how it could be a server issue either but might as well see how it is being delivered which is interesting to me. It would make waaayyy more sense to make a code change in chrome (single code base) instead of changing the configuration of every other web server on the globe.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #115
Fabian

Quote:
I don't see how it could be a server issue either but might as well see how it is being delivered which is interesting to me. It would make waaayyy more sense to make a code change in chrome (single code base) instead of changing the configuration of every other web server on the globe.
As I understand it, only from the OPs server does it not play in Chrome. Or?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #116
gofer
-blänk-

Why do I have the impression it should be sort of a clue that the OP's links do both play fine here?

I really don't know much about that stuff, but if it was a server issue (or something wrong with one of the files), shouldn't it refuse to work for everyone?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #117
Fabian

Quote:
Why do I have the impression it should be sort of a clue that the OP's links do both play fine here?

I really don't know much about that stuff, but if it was a server issue (or something wrong with one of the files), shouldn't it refuse to work for everyone?
Yeah, I guess...
Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #118
karbomusic

Quote:
As I understand it, only from the OPs server does it not play in Chrome. Or?
With permission, I'm happy to throw it on one of my servers temporarily. Not the fastest connection but should work fine for testing a 2MB file.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #119
gofer
-blänk-

So, is there any helpful info I can provide to check what's the difference between mine and your's?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #120
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Could it be because I never (actively, maybe it did itself) updated Chrome (it sais v8.0.552.224)?

As said, both of these links play with no problem right out of Chrome browser here
Yes, as I the links I posted earlier suggest, the problem (not necessarily its exact nature) is a) obviously known in the Chrome community and b) unlike my earlier assumption, it has been around probably since January this year. Google search shows that Chrome users are reporting seemingly random MP3 files not working since then (but not very often, some exotic constellation may be necessary).

Quote:
Update Chrome to the current version to find out. (If you're curious enough to troubleshoot Chrome issues that is.)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote