Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
pwhelan
Human being with feelings

Default How can I make this work?

Ok guys:

I seperated my recording booth from my pc,audio procesors ETC in my room. So now, I always need someone to do the simple job of seting up the tracks, pressing record, pressing stop and then setting up a new track... But many times I am alone and I wish to record some vocals. How can I control reaper from my recording booth ( No visual to the computer) ??

I have two ideas but i wouldn' t know how to go about them anyways. Maybey someone could help me out PLEASE:

1. Using a MIDI controller...( I own an m.audio AXIOM 25) I know this can play/stop, even RECORD... but can it go from recording track 1 to recording track 2 etc... How would I do to get several takes, how could I record onto other tracks and silence the preivous ones¿ Can this be done...? It should be posible.. but sounds a bit complicated

2. My other idea was to buy a crapy old labtop computer and use some kind of software to control my audio computer withit..

ANY IDEAS GUYS?? THANKS I REALLY APRECIATE IT!!!

Blessings!

Pat
pwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
artkau

Hi Pat
Two ideas come to mind. The first you have already covered basically;

I use a BCF2000 controller and have programmed one of the Encoder Groups to act as function and transport keys. I would think you could do the same, use an encoder to arm a track, mute some others then use another encoder to hit rewind and record.

You could do all these steps as part of a keymapped Macro.

The other idea which is not as flexible or useful, is to set your metronome to have 2 bars lead in time, then you could dart back into the booth and get going.
artkau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
krash

I recorded an entire album basically this way. In fact most of the time I was recording for the past 2 years has been in a commercial studio but I was the only one there. I would run between the control room and the big room all the time.

What I did was set Reaper to loop mode, then set the loop area for the entire song (or the important part that I was going to record). Then start the recording with it in the middle of the song somewhere so it gives me time to get into the room before it loops back to the beginning. Then I'd record three or four takes just to have some stuff to work with and head back into the control room. Delete the first and last takes (moving from one room to the other), comp takes and you're done!
krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
pwhelan

Default Thanks

First of all,

thanks EVERYBODY for their help... I really apreciate it...

Second! LOL, you must be quite a sprinter now! I think I have enough ideas now to create something! The only reason Im a bit against the running back in forth part is that it might affect ur performance... I think their are many outside factors when it comes to recording, and beeing confortable is one...

Again... thank you all.. I really had no idea their would be so much support!

Pat
pwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
koitus

I suggest you look into the Frontier Tranzport. It gives you the ability to control your DAW wirelessly using RF transmission, so it goes through walls with no problems. You get feedback on the Tranzport display for which track is selected and transport information on where the playback cursor is. You can arm tracks, mute tracks, move the playback cursor to a marker or to the selected region, pretty much full control. I used this the other day for recording vocals and I don't know how I've done without it when no one else is around. A little steep at $200 new, but well worth it I think if you are mostly solo in your studio. Search for tranzport on the forums here to get an idea how to set it up in Reaper and how others are using it.
koitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
radio12

Hi,
i use a laptop for this task, i installed Ultravnc, which someone once recommended here, forgot who it was, and it works a lot better than windows vnc or maxivista, you can either use a long networkcable or a wireless connection.
If you want a wireless connection and also need to buy a laptop, Tranzport is cheaper, because when i first tried it with an old laptop and a belkin wireless usb stick the connection often broke down, maybe because of the usb implementation of the old laptop.
manfred
radio12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
chemikiller

no additional ideas.. just sympathizing with you.
it's rough being your own engineer, sometimes.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
drumphil

I'd love to be able to run the reaper GUI on a remote machine, and have the machine doing the hard work in a machine room. It's great being able to offload tracks over ethernet, but I think it would be even better to be able to run everything but the GUI on the other end.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
krash

UltraVNC will do that.

I always run UltraVNC to drive my studio computer. It doesn't have a monitor or mouse connected.
krash is offline   Reply With Quote